What's new

Guys help me to translate this word please

kimi no tomokazu ai no kotoba
Please help me to translate that word :(
Thanks before 🙂
I think you meant "phrase" instead of "word".
I could give it a try, but I found too many synonyms. Can you provide more context?.
Separate meanings:
kotoba = word, expression, language, speech
no ai = of love, of affection
kazu = number, amount
tomo = 1.friend, comanion, follower 2. both, all, including
no kimi = your

If it would have been tomodachi instead of tomokazu I'd translate it as:
Word of affection, your friend

By the way, the correct english expression it's "Thanks in advance". Also, do not say that to japanese people as giving thanks in advance gives the impression that you take for granted that he is going to help you, so it's considered offensive.

Last edited:
I think you meant "phrase" instead of "word".
I could give it a try, but I found too many synonyms. Can you provide more context?.
Separate meanings:
kotoba = word, expression, language, speech
no ai = of love, of affection
kazu = number, amount
tomo = 1.friend, comanion, follower 2. both, all, including
no kimi = your
If it would have been tomodachi instead of tomokazu I'd translate it as:
Word of affection, your friend
By the way, the correct english expression it's "Thanks in advance". Also, do not say that to japanese people as giving thanks in advance gives the impression that you take for granted that he is going to help you, so it's considered offensive.
Tomokazu is a given name. 智和 or 友和 ?

Tomokazu is a given name. 智和 or 友和 ?

I should've known. The name was there and I dissmissed it (as 委和).
何故訳さない、私が分かりません。も他人はそれがしましたけど (I really hope that I wrote that right, it's my first long sentence)
じゃあ, 二回試験。

Words of love, your Tomokazu.

今、いいですか。

Last edited:
I should've known. The name was there and I dissmissed it (as 委和).
何故訳さない、私が分かりません。も他人はそれがしましたけど (I really hope that I wrote that right, it's my first long sentence)
じゃあ, 二回試験。
Words of love, your Tomokazu.
今、いいですか。
Is this a rhetorical question ? You are asking why you didn't translate it the first time ? Or why no one else did?

Is this a rhetorical question ? You are asking why you didn't translate it the first time ? Or why no one else did :?
Evidently I said something wrong. I meant to say: I don't understand why you didn't translate it (the thread phrase). Although other people also has done that (in other threads).
When making the sentence I on purpose tried to avoid using anata or your name, I thought it was implied for that sentence.

I mean, you made a post to correct me (which I preciate) but you didn't answer the thread question. I've seen this behaviour before in this forum and is not clear for me why. Maybe he seemed to be rude?. In this case I'd say is lack of english skills, he's from Indonesia.

Evidently I said something wrong. I meant to say: I don't understand why you didn't translate it (the thread phrase). Although other people also has done that (in other threads).
When making the sentence I on purpose tried to avoid using anata or your name, I thought it was implied for that sentence.
I mean, you made a post to correct me (which I preciate) but you didn't answer the thread question. I've seen this behaviour before in this forum and is not clear for me why. Maybe he seemed to be rude?. In this case I'd say is lack of english skills, he's from Indonesia.
Probably because all my translation did was fill in the blank. You had done the bulk of the leg work and I like to see beginners get all the practice (credit) they need. :)

To make the Japanese of "I don't know why you didn't translate it ?" work, though, "translate" has to be in the past.

Doushite/naze (Elizabeth-san ga) (sore wo) yaku shinakatta ka wakaranaikedo...

Last edited:

あ、最後の言葉ちょっと失礼じゃない?
人には言って良いことと良くないことがあるのよ。 :auch:

I recognized, "which I preciate" is not a proper one also. Shouldn't it be "appreciate"?
(ってなんで英語ここで編集してんだろ…)

今、いいですか。also sounds a little bit odd in this case.
Maybe you can say "ima no de iidesuka" or "ima no de doudeshouka"
"ima, iidesuka" sounds more like, "can i have a moment?"

am I wrong? machigattara naoshite kudasai. doumo. :sorry:

am I wrong? machigattara naoshite kudasai. doumo.

Yes, your interpretation is correct. :)
Maybe he meant to say
今度はいいですか?
(It is OK this time? - compared with his previous attempt.)

I was thinking it should be これでいいでしょうか or something like that.

I was thinking it should be これでいいでしょうか or something like that.
Thanks for you correction. Now I've learned that いいです is more for affirmative sentences and いいでしょう is should be used for asking if something is correct.
One more question, can I drop the これで part because its obvious?.
If that's correct, maybe the sentence should've been:
今度、いいでしょうか

あ、最後の言葉ちょっと失礼じゃない?
人には言って良いことと良くないことがあるのよ。

I recognized, "which I preciate" is not a proper one also. Shouldn't it be "appreciate"?
(ってなんで英語ここで編集してんだろ…)

am I wrong? machigattara naoshite kudasai. doumo.
I've been studing Japanese for just a year now, so please don't expect too much from me.
preciate is short for appreciate. Speech language, sorry I forgot to correct it.

Thanks for you correction. Now Iv'e learned that いいです is more for affirmative sentences and いいでしょう is should be used for asking if something is correct.
One more question, can I drop the これで part because its ovbious?.
今度、いいでしょうか
You can't drop は in this case. 今度 without は means "sometime/next time", thus, 今度、いいでしょうか expresses something along the lines of "Can I see you sometime?"

今度はいいでしょうか?
これでいいでしょうか?

Thanks for you correction. Now Iv'e learned that いいです is more for affirmative sentences and いいでしょう is should be used for asking if something is correct.
One more question, can I drop the これで part because its ovbious?.
今度、いいでしょうか
How about ちゃんと合ってると/正しいと/OKだと/ いいんですが ...? :)

Probably because all my translation did was fill in the blank. You had done the bulk of the leg work and I like to see beginners get all the practice (credit) they need. :)

To make the Japanese of "I don't know why you didn't translate it ?" work, though, "translate" has to be in the past.

Doushite/naze (Elizabeth-san ga) (sore wo) yaku shinakatta ka wakaranaikedo...
Wow, thanks for helping me help others then. I guess that I got the phrase I translated for this guy correct. がんばれい!

I was in doubt if to put "translate" in past or not. I've read that it's the last part of the sentence what puts the time (past or present) on the sentence so I settled for using present. I'll have to read a lot more grammar I guess.
Just to clear everthing up...
句を変える: 「Elizabethさまが何故訳さなかったか分かりませんけど」

PD: I almost miss this thread branch!. It doesn't work like the other forums I've been to before.

Wow, thanks for helping me help others then. I guess that I got the phrase I translated for this guy correct. がんばれい!
I was in doubt if to put "translate" in past or not. I've read that it's the last part of the sentence what puts the time (past or present) on the sentence so I settled for using present. I'll have to read a lot more grammar I guess.
Are you thinking of the 'te' conjugation ? In that case it does not indicate tense by itself and is used to string together a series of verbs. Elizabeth san ga yaku shite wakarimashita. (I understood because Elizabeth translated).

If it is a separate clause as in "Shinkatta ka wakarimasenkedo", the nested verb is necessarily past/future to indicate whether the translation has taken place or not. 👍

You can't drop は in this case. 今度 without は means "sometime/next time", thus, 今度、いいでしょうか expresses something along the lines of "Can I see you sometime?"
今度はいいでしょうか?
これでいいでしょうか?

Thanks for clarifying. I'll try to keep this usage in mind. So subtle difference changes everything. The more I learn about particles the more I feel lost. I guess it'll take years to tame them.

How about ちゃんと合ってると/正しいと/OKだと/ いいんですが ...?

Sorry but I don't recognize the grammar being used there. Is と being used for making a quote? Why are you using ga instead of ka?
Though I'd like to know the answers to this questions, I'm patient and can wait. I don't expect to have a grammar treatise here. I'm confident I'll learn them in time, so don't you bother to answer them if it's too much hassle.

ちゃんと合ってると/正しいと/OKだと/ いいんですが

Sorry but I don't recognize the grammar being used there. Is と being used for making a quote?. Why are you using ga instead of ka?.
Though I'd like to know the answers to this questions, I'm patient and can wait. I don't expect to have a grammar treatise here. I'm confident I'll learn them in time, so don't you bother to answer them if it's too much hassle.

I can't say that I understand all the words in Elizabeth-san's post, however, I do understand the grammar lol.

Yes, と is the quotation particle, though in this instance it is being used to connect a clause to いいんですが. といいんですが / といいですね are used to hope for something. You use といいですね to wish for something for others, and you use といいんですが to wish for something for yourself.

といいんですが uses both the explanation modality んです and が to soften the statement so that you don't sound too full of yourself by wishing for good things to happen to yourself.

I can't say that I understand all the words in Elizabeth-san's post, however, I do understand the grammar lol.
Yes, と is the quotation particle, though in this instance it is being used to connect a clause to いいんですが. といいんですが / といいですね are used to hope for something. You use といいですね to wish for something for others, and you use といいんですが to wish for something for yourself.
といいんですが uses both the explanation modality んです and が to soften the statement so that you don't sound too full of yourself by wishing for good things to happen to yourself.
First the confession - they are words of Toritoribe's that I copied to "borrow" with only minor changes from another post a few months back. 🙏

The only point I would correct of immediate consequence would be that いいの/んですが/けど can be used in reference to circumstances of others. It conveys a tone that the speaker is wishing well just nervous about the potentialities. "I HOPE it is a good job, but...." sort of connotation. 😌

And one more thing, try to avoid using "you use" as an explanation. It is true to an extent, they are used, but misleading because there really are many, many options for various situations besides the ones listed above. 😊

First the confession - they are words of Toritoribe's that I copied to "borrow" with only minor changes from another post a few months back. 🙏

The only point I would correct of immediate consequence would be that いいの/んですが/けど can be used in reference to circumstances of others. It conveys a tone that the speaker is wishing well just nervous about the potentialities. "I HOPE it is a good job, but...." sort of connotation. 😅

And one more thing, try to avoid using "you use" as an explanation. It is true to an extent, they are used, but misleading because there really are many, many options for various situations besides the ones listed above. :oops:

*sigh* :( I'm starting to dislike my textbook; it gives an explanation very similar to the one I gave. lol Oh well, I need to make mistakes (or at least semi-mistakes) to get better.

I just want to check something on these two:

今度はいいでしょうか?
これでいいでしょうか?

Is the 今度 version more positive? Like "is this alright?" vs. "now is it alright?" for the これで version (with "now" drawn out a bit, expressing exasperation)? Or are they both neutral? Or are they both, with the 今度 version being neutral but the これで version being both neutral and at times expressing a sort of "well then, how about now?" feeling?

And two more things:

Elizabeth said:
If it is a separate clause as in "Shinkatta ka wakarimasenkedo"...

What's shinkatta?

Yuta73 said:
PD: I almost miss this thread branch!

What's "PD"? I've never seen that before that I can recall.

Oh, I completely forgot it.😅
Need a word or phrase translated? | Page 336 | Japan Forum

I just want to check something on these two:

今度はいいでしょうか?
これでいいでしょうか?

Is the 今度 version more positive? Like "is this alright?" vs. "now is it alright?" for the これで version (with "now" drawn out a bit, expressing exasperation)? Or are they both neutral? Or are they both, with the 今度 version being neutral but the これで version being both neutral and at times expressing a sort of "well then, how about now?" feeling?
Hmm, all I can say is both could sound somewhat "rude".😅 It would be better not to use them for the response to your teacher.:oops:

Hmm, all I can say is both could sound somewhat "rude".😌 It would be better not to use them for the response to your teacher.😊
Even with でしょう they sort of come off to me like "Is this acceptable ?" "Will this do?" "Is this the bare minimum I can get away with doing ?" :D

In that case, what about (to a teacher) これならいいでしょうか. Or is that pretty much the same? Maybe 少しはましになったのでは・・・ Or just simply これが合っていますか, or is it better to get rid of でしょう in the above: これでいいですか? I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom