What's new

Help me translate one word!

loyfu

後輩
30 Dec 2003
Does anyone knows what the word: "TAIYO" means in Japanese (that's the way it pronounced).
Thanks in advance - it is very important for me.

The sun or ocean come to mind right away (taiyou)....it's impossible to know without actually seeing it in Japanese.

Thanks Elizabeth, someone once told me that it means "sun light". is that correct? or is it just "sun" - if we are taking the "sun" path translation? (i wish i had a way to write here how it's written in Kanji)

I would use "nikkou" or "hi no hikari" for sunlight, but they may be interchangeable on occasion. Someone can probably write it here for you today if you'd like.

Thanks again for all your help, i still need to know the exact translation for "TAIYO". is it "sun"? or something to do with "sun light" or anything related?
i do not have a japanese fornts on my computer - so i can't show you how it's written

I happen to know how it's written, thanks ;). And would translate it according to the dictionary -- as the fixed star around which the earth revolves and from which it receives warmth.

Just to add to this thread, I looked up Taiyo in my japanese/english dictionary and it shows up twice. Different Kanji combos, one means sun, one means ocean. Both are pronounced as Taiyo.

Thanks everyone for your help. As I don't have Japanese fonts on my computer I'm attaching a picture of the way Taiyo is written in two types of writings.
Do you know the exact translation of this word?
Thanks so much

:)

Attachments

• taiyo.jpg
    taiyo.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 299
just out of curiousity, is that the common day-to-day word for sun, or is it more articulate or maybe on the other hand more like slang?

Thanks Elizabeth,
Do you mean like a term in astronomy for the the sun?
Is the term only technical, or could it be found in poetry or literature or even every day conversation?
Thanks.

taiyou is the astronomical word for "sun" but it's also an every day word, same as the english word.

"hi" can also be used but it's more ambiguous since the same character can mean "day" depending on the context. As far as I know there's no rule dictating when to use which one -- it depends on common expressions and one's own (or regional) habits.

Thanks everyone!
You helped alot in choosing my daughter's name - which will be Taiyo... expected early march

Originally posted by mdchachi
taiyou is the astronomical word for "sun" but it's also an every day word, same as the english word.

"hi" can also be used but it's more ambiguous since the same character can mean "day" depending on the context. As far as I know there's no rule dictating when to use which one -- it depends on common expressions and one's own (or regional) habits.
Directly translated "Sun light" or "the sun's rays" are also often used as more apt descriptors of what we mislabel for the actual sun in English, for instance "because the sun was so strong...." becomes "Hi no hikari/Nikkou ga amari tsuyoi kara...." although you could probably just use "hi" here as well. And in talking about a sunny day "tenki ga ii" or good weather is a natural set expression that also avoids the hassle of having to decide on one word over the other. ;)

Originally posted by loyfu
Thanks everyone!
You helped alot in choosing my daughter's name - which will be Taiyo... expected early march
Congratulations ! 😄 Taiyo is also used to mean a cheerful, warm (sunny) disposition or personality, so hopefully the name will be a good start towards that.

Back
Top Bottom