What's new

Growing number of car-sharing users don’t rent cars for driving

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Rental cars as a lunch-break refuge... :sneaky:

Car-sharing service operator Orix Auto Corp. couldn't figure out what certain customers were doing with its rental cars. The service, with 230,000 registered users, realized around summer 2018 that some people who rented vehicles never actually drove them. [...]

Times24 Co., the leading automobile-sharing service provider, with more than 1.2 million registered users, discovered that some utilize their cars for surprising purposes. One respondent to the company's survey said they rented vehicles to nap in or use for a workspace. Another person stored bags and other personal belongings in the rental car when nearby coin lockers were full. In the aftermath of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami, rental cars were also used to recharge cellphones.

"I rented a car to eat a boxed meal that I bought at a convenience store because I couldn't find anywhere else to have lunch," said a 31-year-old male company employee who lives in Saitama Prefecture, close to Tokyo.

Growing number of car-sharing users don't rent cars for driving - The Asahi Shimbun

Ok, but here's what's not so cool about it:

Another problem is that some users stay in cars with the engine left running to beat the heat in summer or stay warm during winter, but that could have negative effects on the environment. "Motorists should shut off their engines when they're not driving, and we do not recommend our customers rent vehicles for purposes other than travelling," said an Orix public relations official. "We believe it's best for our cars to be used for driving."

[rant] Idling is an issue that doesn't seem to concern a lot of motorists: people heat up their cars in winter in front of their homes, delivery guys (Japan Post, takyubin, and other services) spend their 60-minute lunch break napping in their air-conditioned cars, the same goes for cab drivers, and, of course, combini breaks don't warrant shutting off your engine, either, :mad: [/rant]

Back
Top Bottom