What's new

Greetings from Thailand!

Frumpy

Kouhai
17 Aug 2016
Hi everybody, I just signed up today and want to introduce myself. I'm trying to make it short! :)
I'm holding a German passport but I haven't lived in Germany much since the mid 80s; I've never spent a Euro in my life!
I moved to the USA first in 1985 and stayed for a year, then returned a few times and spent a total of ten years there, mainly on the left coast.
In late 1988 I moved to Tokyo; the Emperor died a month later but I swear I didn't have anything to do with that. I studied Japanese for a year and left after 2.5 years in early 1991. I was very impressed by the Japanese and always wanted to return.
The last 15 years I spent living in Thailand, raising a daughter, which was a very interesting time, maybe the best of my life. But it's time for a change and I am planning to finally move to Tokyo again, depending on my employment situation here; I'm not sure if my contract (I am working at a Thai university as an English conversation teacher) will be extended for another year, but even if, I am fairly sure that I will leave Thailand in spring next year. It's just time - when things are not really fun anymore, it's time to go looking for new adventures!

Of course I have lots of questions and will post them once I am more familiar with this site.

P.S.: I'm not good at coming up with handle names! My handle does not refer to "dull, plain, colorless or sedate" but to a German Krautrock band from the early 70s which I still listen to today.

Thanks for the welcome, Thomas, looks like we could "Deutsch schnacken", as we say in the north.
Do you remember Frumpy and Atlantis or are you too young for that? :)
I got a question already: Do I have to have a certain amount of posts to be able to post pics or an avatar? I haven't found a way yet, but that may be my fault.

Hi Frumpy, I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the band, most likely because I didn't grow up in Europe. My musical memory kicks in with - cough, cough - Abba and Boney M, I matured in the era of the "Deutsche Welle" and the "Toten Hosen". ;)

You should be able to change your avatar as well as to upload images by either attaching them directly to your post or by uploading them to the Media gallery first and then linking them in your post. In case you need any assistance, please contact me.

Even most German people have never heard of Frumpy because they weren't very successful and never had a big hit like Trio with "Da da da". Those guys actually lived only a few km away and I couldn't believe it when they landed that hit!
I've always had a "different" taste in music, away from the mainstream. Bands like CAN were also not famous but influenced other musicians with their experimental approach. I listened to Steely Dan, Laurie Anderson, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart and of course Pink Floyd, Santana and later got more into fusion jazz like Weather Report, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin and experimental stuff like Brian Eno.
I went to my profile page but didn't manage to upload an avatar

That sounds pretty much like the selection found on our CD shelves! :D

I will look into the avatar issue tonight and report back. Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for your quick reply, mate!
No hurry, I'll survive a few days without an avatar!
I usually don't listen to rap but this is a powerful song by Lowkey and the video is one of the most impressive I've ever seen.

@Frumpy , avatar uploads and changes seem to work fine. Are you on a mobile device or a desktop PC?

Here's a little explanation on how to proceed:

FAQ - Your User Profile | Japan Forum (under "Changing your Avatar")

In case you receive any error message could you be so kind as to post it here? Thank you.

I've got a laptop at work and have not had any problems with avatars on any other site.
When I click "profile page" I don't get access to all the functions I see when I click the above link you posted.
Edit: When I scroll down in what seems to be my profile page there's a link to "Your profile page" but when I click that I end up at the page you posted the link to!

Back
Top Bottom