What's new

Grammar

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
It's written I use 連れてくる with people and 持ってくる with things. What do I use if I want to say "To bring cat"?

よくあのレストランに行きます。How to say "Because food [there] is good/tasty and [it's] cheap. Using ~から. And, if it's okay, ending sentence with 安いですから。

Haven't you learned how to connect adjectives? Isn't there any explanation in your textbook?

Haven't you learned how to connect adjectives? Isn't there any explanation in your textbook?
I'm not sure. At least, I don't strongly remember seeing an example or explanation of connecting two adjectives, but probably I actually can connect two adjectives already. How is "あのレストランの食べ物がおいしいでも安いでもありますから" Or is there a shorter or/and better?

You seem to be confusing i-adjectives and na-adjectives.

hint:
-te form
(~も…もある is not wrong, but ~安いですから is more simple and common, as you wrote previously.)

You seem to be confusing i-adjectives and na-adjectives.

hint:
-te form
(~も…もある is not wrong, but ~安いですから is more simple and common, as you wrote previously.)
You mean confusion because I wrote "おいしいでも安いでもあります"?
Then, is it correct to say "きれいでも新たでもありますから"?
About te-form, maybe, "あのレストランの食べ物がおいしいあって安いですから"?

How to say "Isn't it girls and old men who use "Watashi"? As far as I can think I guessed "女子と爺が「私」使いませんか?"

You mean confusion because I wrote "おいしいでも安いでもあります"?
Then, is it correct to say "きれいでも新たでもありますから"?
About te-form, maybe, "あのレストランの食べ物がおいしいあって安いですから"?
Have you ever seen a polite form おいしいある? When you use a single i-adjective as a reason/cause, you got the correct form 安いですから, and it's not 安いありますから.
I mean the -te fom of i-adjectives, not the -te fom of ある. You already learned the conjugation of i-adjectives, right?
新た is not common. きれいでも静かでもありますから works fine.
You'd better not to use the structure ~でも…でもありますから here since it's usually for additional reasons because of でも "too/also".
e.g.
あのレストランによく行きます。安いですから。それと、きれいでも静かでもありますから。

How to say "Isn't it girls and old men who use "Watashi"? As far as I can think I guessed "女子と爺が「私」使いませんか?"
爺 is not used in conversation, and 女子 is used in a specific situation mostly in school.
You missed the particle to indicate the object.
Your translation is ambiguous. Negative interrogative 使いませんか doesn't work well there, since the question is whether those people are girls and old men or not, and not whether they use "watashi" or not. 使うのではありませんか is OK, though.
I would say 「私」を使うのは女の子とおじいさんですか?.

I didn't learn yet using の with verbs and te-form of adjectives, only verbs. How do I say "because it's tasty and cheap"?

How about how to connect two adjectives just as the meaning "and"? Haven't you learned it yet, either? If so, how do you know to say "tasty and cheap"?
Just out of curiosity, what kind of textbook are you using now?

How about how to connect two adjectives just as the meaning "and"? Haven't you learned it yet, either? If so, how do you know to say "tasty and cheap"?
Just out of curiosity, what kind of textbook are you using now?
I don't even now what I can now. I learned recently using two (or maybe more verbs) with te form and nouns. Before I read some from Tae Kim's Grammar Guide, where I got to know thing "XでもYでもありません". I'm studying with Genki books now, finished grammar part lesson 6 textbook, next is workbook lesson 6 grammar. In Genki I saw some note of the part where was explantaion of using suki/kirai. It was written, when you neither like or dislike, it's said "Xが好きでもきらいでもありません" And haven't learned how to connect two adjectives with "and", nor any other way unless aforementioned note or more or less.
===
UPD. This series Genki – Materials in the Series

te form
Usage
To combine clauses or adjectives, as if by the English conjunction "and". For example:
  • 薬局へ行って薬を買う yakkyoku e itte, kusuri o kau: "(I am going to) go to the pharmacy and buy medicine."
  • あの人は親切で頭が良くて分かり易い ano hito wa shinsetsu de, atama ga yokute, wakariyasui: "That person is kind, smart, and easy to understand."
  • 安くていいね yasukute ii ne: "It's good that it's cheap." (lit. "Being cheap, it is good.")
Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Explanation in Tae Kim's site
Compound Sentences | Learn Japanese

As for Genki Ⅰ, you can see how to combine two or more verbs/clauses with the -te form in the Chapter 5 Describing Two Activities (Lesson6 Grammar section (Page 152)). It's the same also for adjectives.

No, unfortunately not. This is exactly the reason to ask the posters to translate by themselves. You don't get it yet, I'm afraid. Read again more carefully the examples or how to make the -te form of i-adjectives in the sites I linked above.

No, unfortunately not. This is exactly the reason to ask the posters to translate by themselves. You don't get it yet, I'm afraid. Read again more carefully the examples or how to make the -te form of i-adjectives in the sites I linked above.
Oh, yiiis, i should have changed this little い into くて, didn't i. だから、「よくあのレストランに行きます。食べ物はおいしくて、安いですから」ですね、先生。

Just an additional note. This is a bit advanced to you, but は works as a contrastive marker there, thus, it has a nuance that foods are tasty and reasonable, but there is something bad there (for instance, foods are good, but drinks are not, or the restaurant is noisy, not clean, always crowded, etc.). が is more appropriate in that case. Furthermore, it's obvious that the topic/subject is "foods" from the context, so you don't need to mention it. Just あのレストランによく行きます。おいしくて、安いですから。 is the best answer. (おいしいし、安いですから is also fine.)

Yes, you got the correct answer finally, but what do you mean by "little い"?
I think he meant to remove the final い from おいしい and replace it with くて. I also think of that final い as little for some reason. Not like the small hiragana, but just the feeling that final い sound evokes in me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think perhaps he should really only think of replacing it with the く. This way he will better remember くて、くない、etc. for different uses. At least that's what I do, though maybe my method is wrong.

I think he meant to remove the final い from おいしい and replace it with くて. I also think of that final い as little for some reason. Not like the small hiragana, but just the feeling that final い sound evokes in me.
Oh, that's interesting. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think perhaps he should really only think of replacing it with the く. This way he will better remember くて、くない、etc. for different uses. At least that's what I do, though maybe my method is wrong.
That's not wrong. In fact, the -te form of verbs and -kute form of i-adjectives are from "the -masu stem/i form of verbs + て" and "-ku from of i-adjectives + て", respectively.

Just an additional note. This is a bit advanced to you, but は works as a contrastive marker there, thus, it has a nuance that foods are tasty and reasonable, but there is something bad there (for instance, foods are good, but drinks are not, or the restaurant is noisy, not clean, always crowded, etc.). が is more appropriate in that case. Furthermore, it's obvious that the topic/subject is "foods" from the context, so you don't need to mention it. Just あのレストランによく行きます。おいしくて、安いですから。 is the best answer. (おいしいし、安いですから is also fine.)
Thank you. But おいしいし? Maybe, おいしい?

Back
Top Bottom