What's new

Favorite Japanese snacks, desserts, drinks, etc. ?

Okay, I will submit that my teacher was misinformed. Perhaps he had never eaten it in Germany.

But to call someone an idiot and retarded is very childish and rude, and I'm sure Lina in Reverse will never do it again.

I just spoke with a friend who has spent 2 years in Germany studying. He said the Baumkuchen they have in Japan--he has eaten them--is quite a bit different from what's eaten Germany.

Maybe that's what my teacher, whom I liked and respected, meant.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I think it's only natural that it tastes somewhat different - it's made in Japan with Japanese ingredients. Perhaps they also modified the recipe somewhat because they thought it was neccessary for it to be popular in Japan, who knows.

The first Baumkuchen in Japan was baked in 1917 in Hiroshima by Karl Juchheim. His shop opened in Yokohama first, then moved to Kobe.

Juchheim

bezz said:
The first Baumkuchen in Japan was baked in 1917 in Hiroshima by Karl Juchheim. His shop opened in Yokohama first, then moved to Kobe.

Juchheim
Very interesting... I thought it originated in Bando and spread from there.

I LOVE pocky. I'm saving up to go to tokyo, japan for my whole family. It's expensive! I love japan and their technology. This forum is a dream come true, friendly people, and I have alot of questions I need answered. By the way, is pocky supposed to be dipped in coffee or something? It sucks that the company's website that makes pocky is in all japanese only. I'm not that great at japanese. I went to some pocky club-thing and emailed the guy the best I could in japanese trying to tell I wanted to join, he is what I said, heh:

かいもの に いきます。わたしは アメリカ じん です。

ワタし ワ POCKY だいすきです

ドホ アリガト

~Kevin

The Morinaga company first put out "Purittsu" ("Pritz", short for Pretzel) in the mid 1960s. Just very thin pretzel sticks.

Then they began coating the Purittsu in chocolate and called it "Pokkii" ("poki !" onomatopoeia for the sound when something like a pretzel breaks in half). For Exporting porposes it was modified the "Pocky" (same way Calpis was changed to "Calpico" for exports). Nowadays I've seen Pocky with different mousse flavor in Japanese markets in LA.

Lina Inverse said:
I thought it originated in Bando and spread from there.
Juchheim was initially in Osaka camp then moved to Ninoshima, never in Bando according to the records and his diary.
It is quite possible Baumkuchen baked by someone else in Bando around the same period too, but Juchheim was the one who stayed in Japan to popularize it.

あんパン

noyhauser said:
Anpan... I could eat a million of those things, and yet I can't find one of them abroad...
The ampan inventor, Yasubei Kimura, the founder of Kimura-ya bakery in Ginza, it was early 1870s.

Kimuraya (est. 1872)
4-5-7 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061 Japan
phone: +81(3)3561-0091

related thread
more

Edamame!!!!!!!
Green tea!!!!!!
Ice cream!!!!!
Chocolate!!!!!!
Capuccino or moccha latte!!!!

Waw~ getting hungry now 😏

Roasted Mix Nuts by Kasugai!!!!!!!

Attachments

• mix nut2.jpg
    mix nut2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 135
ice milk with azuki beans

I just had an ice milk bar that was filled with azuki beans. :) The flavor of the beans and the vanilla complemented each other so perfectly. This will be my favorite dessert for awhile. It's cheap and can be found at your neighborhood 7-11 convenience store.

Saikou!

Wow, Japanese snacks :D Where to start...

Yatsuhashi
yatsuhashi4-1.jpg

Jagariko

Umaibō

Yukimi Daifuku
YukimiDaifuku-1.jpg

Drinks:

Asahi Dry

Aquarius
200712171644937028-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom