What's new

Elderly suicides surge in Japan

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
"The number of elderly people who killed themselves in Japan surged in 2007, government figures showed.

Suicides involving people over the age of 60 rose by almost 9% to 12,107, making up nearly 40% of all cases in Japan, the National Police Agency said.

Japan's elderly are increasingly concerned about money and rising health care costs.

Nationwide, the number of suicides rose by 2.9% to 33,093, the second-highest figure since records began in 1978";

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Elderly suicides surge in Japan

It might have some of the lowest crime rates, but Japan has some of the highest suicide rates in the world. With not much for elderly Japanese to look forward to society anymore, i expect these suicide rates will continue to rise.

I'm surprised... I always thought older people were more respected. I'd hang along just to be a rolemodel to kids and to get respect that i rightfully earn for talking up to everyone all my life. Though, japanese culture can be cruel, even under all that respect. Best to go out smiling. If you know you're gonna go, my as well go out and give your money to people who just lost jobs and need help.

Back
Top Bottom