• Yes, and I love it!

Votes: 57 30.6%
  • Yes, but it's soo uncomfortable

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No, I'd like to but there is no futon in my country

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • No, I have never tried

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • Bed or futon, it makes no difference !

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • No, not regularly

Votes: 30 16.1%

• Total voters
I personally prefer a bed over the two, though sleeping on a futon doesn't bother me. I have to agree that sleeping on a futon can be really warm in the winter though.

I like my futon.
Why? Because nobody can be hiding under my bed.

Been sleeping on them so long, that when I travel and stay at a hotel, I find I will stop when I enter the room, look at the bed and think to myself, "Oh, a bed."

Futons are comfortable if your not CHEAP. I was cheap and bought a $50 or so futon and its flatter then a pancake because its mostly cotton/foam in very thin form.

Need to get that memory foam stuff they make in futon form. Most Japanese stores; at least where i live; have cotton or wool. But, they are quality.

I dunno, avoid ikea when it comes to beds LOL....

I have a Western style bed but sometimes at the hotels I end up sleeping in a futon. They are very comfortable!

When I was over there last time my employer set me up with my apartment and whatnot and included in that was a decent but still fairly cheap futon. I slept on it for a while but I found on some hot nights the flatness and lack of comfort was a make-or-break issue.

My gf at the time had a memory foam one and a memory foam pillow and I found that to be much better.

Eventually a neighbour threw out a perfectly good, intact, stain-free mattress (2nd hand stuff isn't big in Japan, people replace their stuff and often throw out perfectly good stuff). I checked it out and it looked clean so I dragged it into my apartment and that thing was really comfy. Actually it was the highest quality mattress I'd ever slept on.

I don't need a bed, actually I hate beds, I like being close to the ground. But the springyness of the mattress helps keep me asleep so a mattress thrown on the ground is kind of my favourite way to go. Actually, here at home that's what I have.

I quite like futons, but the condensation that collects on the underside of my futon especially during the winter is definitely a down point. I'm wondering if getting a small platform for my futon would reduce that.

I have slept on a futon several times but i've got my bed back now.

I find it comfortable sleeping on the floor with a quilt on it so futons are no problem really. (I don't know why i did that but i just seem to feel like sleeping on the floor sometimes)!

I can't call them futon I think but I am used to sleep on floor beds. They are filled with cotton and you lay them down on the floor when you want to sleep and then you roll them up and move them away in closets after you get up. i think they are better than those beds with strings.

I never tried, it but I defiantly will - sleeping on it will not be a problem, because I can sleep everywhere but is it good for your back?

You forgot to give a plain "No" option on your poll. I only sleep on futon if I am visiting somebody in Japan or on vacation at a ryokan or onsen hotel. I like futons mainly because they are a novelty and hold vacation memories. I wouldn't want to sleep on one daily -- not a typical single-layer one anyway.

Really depends on the quality of the futon. Westerners often use foam pads underneath the futon too... 😊

hwaaa....never tried it til now...
but i swear to myself,,someday i'll sleep on a futon :LOL:

I'm a terrible sleeper, sometimes I fall off my bed. The futon is the best thing I've slept on and the tatami is a fantastic material to sleep on too. When I lived in Japan, I slept on the futon and didn't have to worry bruising myself. The nights in Japan were the best. Never had to worry. I'll wake up in the morning to find myself somewhere else haha!

Well never tried it, I've always slept on a matrass.

Seeing as we're discussing it anyway, how is it to sleep in Japan being tall? I know the average Japanese isn't very tall I asume beds aren't either; I'm 6'6" and I hear that normal beds aren't very long in Japan, so does sleeping on a futon pose the same problems? Any advice for when I go to Japan? I'm very fond of my night rest hehe :p

I'll sleep anywhere...futon, bed, couch. I LOVE to sleep and need about 7 1/2 to 8 hours or I'm kinda crabby. What I like best is sleeping on a futon with warm comforters (kakefuton) at a ryokan during winter. :sleep:

I'll sleep anywhere...futon, bed, couch. I LOVE to sleep and need about 7 1/2 to 8 hours or I'm kinda crabby. What I like best is sleeping on a futon with warm comforters (kakefuton) at a ryokan during winter. :sleep:
How can you sleep over 7 hours? I usually keep it around 4 to 6 hours.

How can you sleep over 7 hours? I usually keep it around 4 to 6 hours.

Umm, clean living? Nah, that's can't be right. But I don't take naps and I work out regularly at the gym. That plus a healthy diet and plenty of rest keeps me balanced.

Man that loooks really comfortable! ah i cant wait to try sleeping on one!
Sadly, American futons are fold out couches :eek:

Back
Top Bottom