What's new

Do chinese and Japanese look the same?

Yes, it is difficult to tell apart sometimes, but there might be subtle differences, and the way they speak, etc.

But then in Vancouver we 2nd-generation Asian kids (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, whatever) tend to wear similar clothes, and this sometimes leads to wild confusion.

I myself have been mistaken for Japanese before.... by Japanese! I thought that was interesting.

=)

The answer is Yes and NO =)

China is big and has almost 60 ethnic groups by over 1.3 billion citizens.

Even not all HanChinese look that same. We have Chinese who look like Korean or Japanese, in the northern parts and more like Vietnamese in the South.
I think the question was refering about the typical clichée look of a folk.

Usually you can tell because of the way they talk, gestures and what they wear. But even that is getting more difficult.
For instance, I was often regarded as Asian-American because I wore HipHop style and basketball stuff including a Scottie Pippen hair cut when I was a teenager =)
Even today, most Taiwanese and Chinese don't know for sure where I'm from because the way I talk is so German 😌

maybe for me yes, but I think that as I can recognize a doich from a french man or a USA man even a japanese can recognize a chinese or a thailand or a vietnam man

Do chinese and japanese look exactly the same in the eyes or are they different? I think it's easy to tell in certain parts of China where they have got darker skin and stuff but apart from that is there?
I'm not being racist for all you people who seek fault in every little thing, it's just like asking is there a difference between french and english or african blacks and carribean blacks. In the hollywood representation of 'memoirs of a geisha', there are loads of chinese actors playing Japanese people and thats when this question occured to me.

Please see Japanese and Chinese looks

If you are familiar with both races, culture and traditions you can tell the different most of the time but I think its most difficult for non-Asians to tell the difference at first glance.

China is huge and even those who live in China may look very different from one another. Usually Japanese people have higher mustache density than most Chinese, especially Chinese would live in southern portions of China. Japanese tend to have smaller eyes and flatter cheekbones, but would also have straighter noses. Just my general observation.

i say..the most apparent difference in appearence is the characteristic expressions of emotion, and the way they smile and the way they contemplate..etc

i am not japanese, still i find japanese ways of expression is far more favourable than the chinese.

yup i agree. sorry guys but Chinese people and Korean they look just the same qua colour of hair of smile of their food too(rofl).
But we Philipphinese and japanese people are the same. we have almost the same blood and the same customs (only that our country is a little filtier than Nippon). and i always laugh when i see Chinese or Korean people talking its like a cat who sit just next to ya.

Sayonara Minnasan!

Koreans, Chinese and Japanese have all their distinctive (or better say clichee look). But there are also many of them who cannot be distinguished from each other so easily. It is as difficult or as simple distinguishing Germans from Dutches or US Americans from Canadians.
Mostly, you can distinguish them from how they dress and behave, less because of their face or skin etc.
It his hard to find a formula to do so.

Only twins look the same.

The variations among both Japanese and Chinese are so great that the question does not make much sense. There are some Japanese who certainly does not look like Chinese and there are some Chinese who certainly does not look Japanese. However, there are some who are imposible to guess if they are Chinese, Korean or Japanese.
🙂

呃~~~it's hard to say what are the obvious differences---especially in 21th centry,,,,if we were living in 12th centry,I'm sure that there're a lot of differences----

I'm a chinese, so I think the difference is that the Japanese people has higher nose? hahaha!

Well, no offence but i think the Asians in US look all the same, I really can't tell the difference between the Asians there!! Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese.... especially female, they look the same... :p

hard to define a generalise a Chinese look since its so ethnically diverse like the Muslim Hui n Uyghurs n Tajiks, then u have Tibetans, Mongols etc...56 groups are recongised by the Chinese govt.
But generally the Han race comes to mind when u think of Chinese features since they are dominant.

of cause not! japanese men look so ugly !!

Who said it? :eek:
I really don't think so. Obviously there are ugly men, but gweh, that's everywhere, in China too!
There are a lot of ugly Chinese men too, but there are a lot of hansdome guys in China too. So, don't say obvious things that might offend other people.

Heheehee! Leonmarino thanks for the laugh...well said. BTW your avatar reminds me of my cat Sydney. (but he has ears!)

Even some south east asian can look like Chinese, Japanese or Korean sometimes. I met someone one day in an elevator and he asked me if I was Korean, it surprised me I didn't know if someone could ever tell the difference.

BTW your avatar reminds me of my cat Sydney. (but he has ears!)
Haha!! Well you know how Doraemon got his blue color right? He used to be yellow, but then his ears got bit off by a mouse and he was so shocked he turned blue!! :D I hope Sydney is safe from the evil actions of mice.

Even some south east asian can look like Chinese, Japanese or Korean sometimes. I met someone one day in an elevator and he asked me if I was Korean, it surprised me I didn't know if someone could ever tell the difference.

..and it doesn't stop there either. I have heard stories from Japanese in New Zealand mistaken for Maoris.

We actually have a Japanese person working in a Chinese shop over here. He might be fooling some people but, not me. There were two people in the shop, and I am not sure about the older one, but the younger (hotter) one was Japanese, no doubt.

..and it doesn't stop there either. I have heard stories from Japanese in New Zealand mistaken for Maoris.

I never seen a Maoris in my life, but all I can say that even Indian (american indian) people, at least some of them looks like asian a lot.

Back
Top Bottom