What's new

Do any of you use a region free dvd player?

DoctorP

先輩
3 Jun 2004
And if so what brand/model do you use. I'm speaking for my TV, not my PC. Right now all I can watch is US dvd's, but I really want to be able to see Japanese dvd's and I really don't want to have two seperate dvd players. Any suggestions?

Many DVD-players have a firmware hack (which you can apply at your own risk) to take out the region or even through a combination of keys on the remote.

I currently own a JVC XV-55, but i don't believe there's a way around the region lock yet for this model.

my sister has a region-free dvd player and its really good. I dont know the make of it but its great because you can change it from PAL to NTSC whenever you like.. so you dont get jerky movements and stuff...
I think its a proper non-hacked region-free player.. but im not 100%

i have a region-free dvd drive on me computer..

Porl''

Twisted said:
Many DVD-players have a firmware hack (which you can apply at your own risk) to take out the region or even through a combination of keys on the remote.

I currently own a JVC XV-55, but i don't believe there's a way around the region lock yet for this model.

yeah, I found a website that talked about that and even had codes for my model, but they didn't work. I think a lot of that is just bs! :) I would rather get a model that is made for region switching. I am just looking for peoples opinions about what they have seen and what works for them!

does anyone know of a free downloadable all region DVD player for the PC?

CC1 said:
I would rather get a model that is made for region switching. I am just looking for peoples opinions about what they have seen and what works for them!

I suppose you're best off with one of those Taiwanese models you can find at your local Chinatown. You know, they're always the ones with a make you never heard of, but most of those are actually region free (and commonly quite cheap as well).

michi said:
does anyone know of a free downloadable all region DVD player for the PC?

The region is usually not set in the player software, but in the DVD-Rom drive itself. This can be circumvented with a special tool, rather then with a player.

DVD-Region-Free (http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm) is one piece of software that let's you change the region of your drive. You can then play any DVD with a software-player of your choice.
It still depends on your drive whether this actually works.

Thanks alot Twisted.

I could only switch the region of my computer's dvd-rom drive a certain amount of times, after that, no can do. Even after my computer died and I rebooted it again, i still couldn't switch regions. Perhaps ths will work.

Twisted said:
DVD-Region-Free (http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm) is one piece of software that let's you change the region of your drive. You can then play any DVD with a software-player of your choice.
It still depends on your drive whether this actually works.

I use DVD Region-Free on my PC to watch japanese region movies. Its really good and the basic player is really cheap. :joyful:

Porl''

I found that if you order a dvd player from japan or somewhere like that then some are region free. It is not easy to find one in the US but they are there. Umm I have someone who might know I will ask them and get back to you. But I believe the brand is Onkio or something like that.

YES I have one!!!! I can't live without it!!! Especially as I have many foreign dvds!! 🙂 The region free dvd players make the region coding on dvds unnecessary.... 🎈

There are many cheap dvd players in the market....But if you want to spend extra money, there is a good Panasonic region free dvd player.

Back
Top Bottom