What's new

digital cameras

Too vague. How much do you want to spend? What are you looking to do with it? Just take fun pictures to email friends or do you want to print things out and produce quality pictures? How about durability? Are you a beach going, outdoorsy type, or does your last camera have a detailed maintenance log? Somewhere in between? There are lots of folks who take quality pictures here. Give us something to bite on and we can help!😄

lemme see

no more than 400.00yen

its for personal use, pretty casual

i'll email, look at them, get some of it developed, but nothing uber fancy

durability?!? it doesnt really matter

im looking for:

-2+pixels
-3x + optical zoom
-and video with sound
-the size really doesnt matter, id perfer smaller
-oh and i want movies with sound

errrr
i just might have to spill out more $$$$

Originally posted by Maciamo
I have a Minolta Dimage X, so that's my recommendation.

yah its got some pretty impressive features, but I think its too square for me.

these are ones that im looking at:
Olympus D40
Canon Powershot A70
Canon Powershot S30
Olympus Optio 330rs

I have a Sony Cybershot (DSC-P7). It is 3.2 megapixel, 3x zoom, and has movies with sound. It's small and it is very simple and easy to understand, I think.

The only problem is that with Sony, you can use only use the Memory Stick.

Still, I love this camera. I think it was priced around $500? I can't remember.

Last edited:
epinions.com has a good users review section for digital cameras. Have a look-see. Do you mean Pentax Optio 330RS? If so, I would push a Pentax. I have always gotten good product from Pentax and they prove to be very durrable to boot. Be ready to buy extra memory, battery charger, too when you are thinking about prices. If one card fills up and you are away from your laptop/computer/storage unit it can be a lifesaver (spring for the hundred of MB cards)

Nikon also makes a very good camera but they can be complex off full auto function. Not a point-and-shoot. Still, optically they have some of the best lenses around. Good luck eimik!

oh boy oh boy. this is starting to make my head hurt.

Bring on some more tips.

oh and thanks you Mandylion :)

I've got a Canon Powershot S230 (Ixus V3). Images are great, but it doesn't have many advanced features.

Oh yeah! Sony is the way to go and can be great for the advanced digital person, but who has the money to buy it? I bought an Olympus 1.5, supposidly easy to operate. Had two local techs and myself try to download the program and could not. Returned it 24 hours later and bought an HP315 2.1 pix and would recommend this model anytime. Somewhere around $200.00. My wife wants one and we're looking at one for $79.00 and $89.00 from TigerDirect.com Check it out, right now on sale.

Originally posted by eimik
ooooooooooooh

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-1429209.html?tag=dir

Check out this link... on the left hand side, there is editor picks for the different image quality cameras. 3M pixel IMO is a good round number and doesn't go too crazy on price. Since your in canada, check out futureshop... they have quite a few models on display in each store. Myself I chose Olympus D550, but I think this model is discontinued now... Anyways, hope this helps...

I got a Sony P7 and i love it... it's light, compact and loaded with features that are easy to use... The quality are good and it also allows you to take small motion pics as well...

There's a P9 and P10 that are higher models in the sony family, the resolutions are higher but I don't think it's really that much use since around 3 megapixels for normal photography is pretty good already...

PS. check this webpage out: Henrys.com: Canada's Greatest Camera Store - Shop Online Today
it's got lots of new digital cameras.... However, only use it as a reference since this place usually sells cameras a bit more expensive than Futureshop or other places.....

And you might want to buy your camera from the states instead of Canada... I actually imported my sony P7 from the States (had to pay for duties and taxes), but it still saved me around 70-80 bucks.

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
I have a Sony Cybershot (DSC-P7). It is 3.2 megapixel, 3x zoom, and has movies with sound. It's small and it is very simple and easy to understand, I think.

The only problem is that with Sony, you can use only use the Memory Stick.

Still, I love this camera. I think it was priced around $500? I can't remember.

Yup, and the even better DSC-P92.
I got it for about $500 too, and that's the weird thing :confused:
Anyway, here's a pic of it:

i have about five? cameras
olympus d-100
cybershot p52
kodak dc 4800
olympus cz 3000
and canon s10
i bought them all on sale [paid $170 for the ol cz 3000 -- the most so far], so my recommendation? go to a store and fondle some first
i like them all for different things and dislike certain others
canon s10 has aluminum body that withstands yamanote train door closings and does nice slow shutter, but requires a proprietary battery -- i have always had to have two/three batts on a photo run -- even with the lcd off
ol d-100 is only 1.3 mp and no opt zoom, but has quick start and uses only two batts -- even alky last (with the lcd off)
gotta go, good luck!

edit: just realized how old this thread it :eek:
dude done bought a cam by now

Back
Top Bottom