What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

News Olympus selling camera division

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Sad, sad, sad: after 84 years of producing cameras and lenses, Olympus Corporation will sell its camera division by the end of the year. Like many other camera manufacturers, Olympus struggled as more and more consumers resort to smartphones to capture pictures.

Olympus has announced it's agreed in principle to divest itself of its imaging business by transferring it to a new company that will continue to run it. The company that will run the new business is Japan Industrial Partners, and Olympus hopes that the final agreement will be made in September and the deal closed by the end of the calendar year. In a statement, Olympus says the new company will carry on making and selling camera equipment and suggests it will maintain R&D and manufacturing facilities around the world. Crucially, the new company will also provide support to existing Olympus camera owners. After three years of losses Olympus says it needs a more ‘compact, efficient and agile’ corporate structure and claims having a new company run the camera business is the only way to make it survive and grow. The company blames the rise in smartphones as a continuing factor in the decline of the camera market and says it has done what it can to reduce costs. However, further cost-cutting is to come as the imaging business is prepared for its transfer so that it can be taken on in a more ‘profitable and sustainable’ condition.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
Too bad, indeed. I never looked too hard at Olympus, but as I recall their Pen model was one I liked (from film days, once upon a time, I haven't seen the new ones). I know that Fujifilm, too, has turned hard towards medical imaging and some other things, and tho they are still coming out with some interesting cameras, it's not a growth business by any means.

(and dpreview.com is a valuable site for most anything photography-related)

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
Too bad, indeed. I never looked too hard at Olympus, but as I recall their Pen model was one I liked (from film days, once upon a time, I haven't seen the new ones). I know that Fujifilm, too, has turned hard towards medical imaging and some other things, and tho they are still coming out with some interesting cameras, it's not a growth business by any means.

(and dpreview.com is a valuable site for most anything photography-related)
I think Fujifilm has been having some good luck with their new X-T mirrorless line. I know a number of photographers that really like them. Canon has been struggling as well, its the same for all of them on the casual market front as, like mentioned above, smartphones have largely taken over there. For pro photography I think Canon, Fuji, Sony, and Hasselblad are all still doing well but I have heard that Nikon is struggling badly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom