What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

News Olympus selling camera division

okinawaholic

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I feel like maybe the S20 would have been a better way to go
I get to upgrade for free this month or next month with the AU 18-month trade-in plan. I will be going with the S20 if they don't put out a Note 11 (or Note 20) with 5G support.

I will miss the built-in stylus if I go with the S20 because it helps me take quick notes to blog later. However, I'm sure I can do just the same by downloading "Galaxy Notes" and using my own attached to a key ring. I was disappointed that the Note 11 took away the 3.5mm headphone jack (and I believe S20) as you can easily lose some wireless headphones and not be able to pick up a 100 yen pair to plug in while you find another pair or your lost ones.

But, Bluetooth headphones have gone down in price, even at Family Mart. They were first introduced there at like 4000 yen but are now 2000 yen, just 1000 yen more than an acceptable wired pair (for great-sounding music, not comparable to Bose though).

I like my Jaybird X3s, but my cat decided it was a toy one night and bit through the cord, rendering one earplug useless. :p

They're like $40 now though (paid $110 as they were new) so I'll pick up another pair at the same time.

okinawaholic

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I like the Note/S series because they shoot in RAW (Pro mode). This gives me the option to be more creative with my works by adjusting the colors to what I see, rather than what the sensor and software interprets it as.

Petaris

Sailing away...
Top Donor
Reaction score
So far in my testing, outdoor pictures on the 1+ 8 Pro are pretty decent but indoor pictures are really poor quality (same shooting mode as outdoor). All of the indoor pictures, no matter the lighting condition, are very soft/blurred and filled with artifacts. I'm really hoping this is a software problem however a third-party camera app had the same results. :( It could still be firmware and fixed at some point. I really hope that it the case. For a $1k USD phone the camera should take good quality photos with no real effort involved (like my S7 did).

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
I'm happy with my 11pro as is, and tho I don't use it much the low light performance is great. Add Halide, if you think you need it.

Top Bottom