What's new

def in Japan: a comic diary

nahadef

Quietly exploding
27 Nov 2012
Hey,
New here, and rather than do an intro thread, I figured this would be a better way to introduce myself. My name online is def, and when forums/sites don't allow three-letter names, I'm nahadef, who ironically lives in Hokkaido . But I spent a long time in Okinawa, and Sapporodef just doesn't have the same ring.

I saw that this was popular, so you are open to comics. Mine are nothing like that, except that they are diary based. I've been here a decade, so it's not so fresh and new for me, plus I'm raising a child in a mixed language household. I started them on a lark, so the first ones are sloppy, but they've gotten progressively cleaner, so if you enjoy the content, but not the style, by the 10th one, it'll look a little better. I've done about two dozen in two months, which is a major roll for me. I'll share five, and if they are entertaining to you, I'll post more.

The general theme is work boredom, letchery, parenting, and neuroses, but it branches depending on my week.

Enjoy!

diary_9_19_12_by_naha_defd5fb3kb-1.jpg

9_21_12_by_naha_defd5ft1w0-1.jpg

diary_9_25_2112_by_naha_defd5fxbt4-1.jpg

diary_10_03_12_by_naha_defd5gqpcd-1.jpg

diary_12_10_15_by_naha_defd5hz7oj-1.jpg

Last edited:
They are pretty cool! thanks for sharing... if only I was funnier and a better drawer I would have tried something myself (I used to be both but then I got married ).

I love the comic book Charisma man (although after reading 10 of them you kind of get them).

I enjoyed reading these, pretty interesting. I will be visiting Sapporo during my travels in late December. Any suggestions on what to see?

I enjoyed reading these, pretty interesting. I will be visiting Sapporo during my travels in late December. Any suggestions on what to see?

Thanks.

This will only be my second winter here, and I spent a fair amount of time at home. But, the nice stuff I did was stuff like go to ski resorts and onsens. There are some that have free shuttle buses from the downtown. If you want more concrete details, start a "Stuff to do in Sapporo" thread, and I'll be glad to go in depth there. ;)

From here on in, one at a time. I'll work my way to now, since I only do three a week.

diary_10_23_2012_by_naha_defd5isar2-1.jpg

I can definitely identify with the first one!

The second one loses me. I don't understand the smart phone part. Trying to get a picture of the girl on the escalator? (Which I'm sure you don't need me to tell you is an outstanding way to get arrested).

The second one loses me. I don't understand the smart phone part. Trying to get a picture of the girl on the escalator? (Which I'm sure you don't need me to tell you is an outstanding way to get arrested).
I can see how it might look like that, but it was just a matter of turning off whatever screen it was on before I shoved it in my pocket, so I could focus on other things. As letch as I get, I really don't cross the line of creepiness. I've never even huffed a bicycle seat!

I always wonder how Deaf people in Japan know if the cops want them to pull over.
It's kind of silly that the cops drive around for no reason and confusing for some in this society.

Anyone know?

I always wonder how Deaf people in Japan know if the cops want them to pull over.
It's kind of silly that the cops drive around for no reason and confusing for some in this society.
Anyone know?
Thanks for your useful feedback! I have to say, I've never heard a joke about how the name 'def' can sound like 'deaf,' much less on the Internet! It's given me a lot to consider.

def in Japan

Anyone know?

That is only very recently anything anyone would even think about, as until a couple or three years ago they weren't allowed to drive.

They are required to have a special mark on their cars (butterfly logo), so the cops at least can easily tell the driver is deaf and not think they just ignored the siren.

Hi welcome!!!
It's interesting to know a guy gaijin's point of view :p
Will be back for more :)

Back
Top Bottom