What's new

Could you fall in love online?

My current girlfriend of three years I actually met playing Halo online! She is one of my friends sisters, and one day she decided to play Halo with me. So we got to talking and hit it off. From there we started seeing each other more often and the rest is history.

I consider myself very lucky.

I think it depends completely on the individuals and their attitudes and circumstances.
You can say that online, you are 'falling in love' with someone's personality, rather than on something more 'shallow' like their looks (of course, you can look at photos, but even so, you can't know whether the person is honestly giving you pics of them, and also pictures don't capture everything about someone's presence).
On the other hand, it can happen that people are living in a 'fantasy world'.
Or simply that they express themselves a bit differently online than face to face or by phone (not necessarily negative, just 'different').
Of course, for 'love' to be confirmed present, it's essential to meet face to face. People who fall in love online only and never meet face to face are living in a fantasy world. But I think a relationship can develop online to some extent before an actual meeting, which helps things to progress faster and perhaps more easily when the people really do meet.
On the other hand there are the people just using online as a front or as a con trick or are not genuine.
So it really depends on the people.

I yhink it is possible to fall in love with someone online cause you think he's perfect and nice.But to be sure about I'd suggest someone to meet that guy/girl in real cause he/she might be lying about many things to you and might be proven that they're the exact opposite thing.

It is possible to fall in love anywhere. :)
All love needs is a chance. :)

It is possible to fall in love anywhere. :)
All love needs is a chance. :)

I had to quote this. Beautiful words.

I think its more infatuation than love i can easily faulter.
I had internet boyfriends when i was younger and i met up with them but i dont really know if i can say i truely loved them.

But it is possible i know people who have met and gotten married but i think at first it is only infatuation.

I think 'falling in love' on internet is similar to like, falling in love on the popular boy in high school. Just a simple crush.
Altough, i know it is possible to really fall in love *saw that dr. phil show?! xDD*, but meeting in rl makes the deal.

When I was in college, a highschool girl I met online developed a crush on me, but even though I was 19, I wasn't naive enough to think it was real. I've been on a few dating websites, and to be honest, I think people (or at least girls, but I'm trying to be evenhanded) have such unbelievably higher standards online than in person. I've had more luck at the bar on one Friday night than an entire month on dating sites.

If you already knew each other in person for a while, though, you can carry on a long-distance relationship online. But the chances of one or both of you getting bored or unhappy from the separation are pretty high.

I think falling in love online is possible but when you meet the person it could change. The thing is, you have a view,image of how great a person is when you meet online....

so...many people do had a gf/bf whom they met online,,,

then we can say that "online" was the first step to continue to the further relationship, nee??

but i'm myself think that it is posibble ^^ fall in love online... so sweet ^^

Do you think it's possible to fall in love with someone you met online? Particularly if you didn't meet them in real life yet, is it possible to be in love?

with a webcam and skype. I believe so yes. Without those and just text. No.

like i said everything is possible, if you try and you both are serious about it, then why not? but to be honest many people are in love online, but they won't admit it easily because they feel ashamed but i have respect for any type of love.

my opinion, love each other but you have to mean it.

Well, IMO it is a bit hard to fall in love with someone online, 'cause if i fall in love with a Japanese female, and i live in Israel, it will be impossible to meet her...

Yes, I absolutely know that it is possible to fall in love with someone online. I'm speaking from experience, however I have known this person for four years now but we have recently broke up due to a misunderstanding.

Falling in love is easy, getting into a relationship with that person is hard, keeping the relationship is even harder.

Well, IMO it is a bit hard to fall in love with someone online, 'cause if i fall in love with a Japanese female, and i live in Israel, it will be impossible to meet her...

it isn't impossible, say 'never' never because everything is possible, if you really mean it both then you could do anything beyond imagination.
Some people are even married on this way, look to many people on this forum, they are all from other countries and they got married with male/female from other countries.

remember what i said, say 'never' never.

I don't think its possible to truly fall in love with someone online. And I do not want to belittle the experiences of anyone else here but the reason is you have to see the person and spend time with them to know if they're right for you. When we say 'fall in love', I'm thinking of the kind of love where you're prepared to spend the rest of your life with that person and commit to them unconditionally, not just a strong liking, a crush, or an infatuation. You can't know that 'love' is going to happen until you've spent considerable amounts of time with a person, which is impossible online. It's not even an emotional question it plays out as pure logic in my mind.

And without getting too graphic, if we're talking about a true relationship, you have to have some kind of sexual energy going on there. If two individuals cannot be comfortable with one another (to a certain degree, doesn't have to be this explosion of.. whatever.. every single time but, you know, at least a 'healthy' physical and emotional relationship) then these people will always have that rift between them, this distance, and the knowledge that something isn't qutie right. In principle I'm sure some people would say 'yes but we'd work through that'. But its often overlooked and underestimated. Don't forget it is the main reason many marriages break apart and infidelity occurs.

I just think that, in the relationships I've had, the love I felt for that person at its very strongest was not something I could have created online because it took time to develop. It's like asking, can you grow a 300 year old bonzai tree in a matter of weeks without water or seeds. Sure in principle anythings possible I suppose, but really, can that be done?

I think its possible if both people are mature enough to get to know each other extremely well and are willing to take concrete steps in order to meet each other in person. People often act differently online than they do in real life without even realizing it. Someone you love online may act in a way that gets on your nerves when you meet.

Back
Top Bottom