What's new

Common Japanese misconceptions regarding foreigners

i guess that is generally what i try to do, but without being rude.

its always good to think about the situation reversed. eating with a japanese guy who doesn't speak much english in your home country, we are bound to say some of the same boring openers that he would hear every time.. gotta stay cool.

i guess that is generally what i try to do, but without being rude.
its always good to think about the situation reversed. eating with a japanese guy who doesn't speak much english in your home country, we are bound to say some of the same boring openers that he would hear every time.. gotta stay cool.

yeah, like do you guys really eat dog meat, and where in China are you from again.. Japan?

I have very little experience of this, but I would suggest that the Japanese are very little different from anyone else with regard to their ignorance of another country.

I have very little experience of this, but I would suggest that the Japanese are very little different from anyone else with regard to their ignorance of another country.

"Unlike Europeans and Americans, who have been able to remain comfortably smug about their own superiority, the peoples of Asia Pacific have been forced to embrace and understand foreign cultures. There are not many Western masters of Korean drums or Chinese opera, but there are many concert calibre violinists and pianists in the East..."

From ASIA PACIFIC written by the former Chairman of Merrill Lynch Asia Pacific, M. Dobbs-Higginson. He was referring to one of the consequences of colonialism and the threat of colonialism. And one of the consequences of the U.S. occupation is that Japan knows a lot about the U.S./Americans, and many can read, if not speak, English.

Last edited:
"Unlike Europeans and Americans, who have been able to remain comfortably smug about their own superiority, the peoples of Asia Pacific have been forced to embrace and understand foreign cultures. There are not many Western masters of Korean drums or Chinese opera, but there are many concert calibre violinists and pianists in the East."

That doesn't mean that a great deal of the people of Asia Pacific are not just as ignorant of other countries as people everywhere else are. People tend to be more interested in the area immediately around them then they are in an area on the other side of the world. Thats not to say that everyone meets that description though. Many people have interests in certain places. For example, the people who post here have an interest in Japan and want to learn more about it.

Back
Top Bottom