What's new

Can you help to translate this text?

Truzen

Kouhai
18 Aug 2015
Can you help to translate this text? I got it here: [DIY]流木に草生やしたら急に部屋がイケメンになった件 by BOXMAN BROS. 作ってみた/動画 - ニコニコ動画
ハーイ![BOXMAN BROS.]のジェイムズだよ!こないだ拾った流木に草を生やしたら、急に部屋がオシャレになっちまった!こりゃ紹介するしかないな!

I tried to translate it as:
Hi! Boxman Bros j-music here! (I don't know what they're saying here until the next exclamation mark. Seems like they found a piece of wood)! Nothing but presentation here!

ジェイムズ = James
こないだ = このあいだ
なっちまった = なってしまった
See if you can translate the middle sentence now.

The last sentence means "There's nothing but to introduce this", i.e. "(This is so cool that) I just have to show it off".

流石に草生えた
Nice. (This is a reference to "wwww", the Japanese version of "lololol". If there something really funny on the web, you may see people commenting that "grass is growing")

Last edited:
I can't yet. I use rikaichan to translate words.
I got this: こないだ - The other day
拾った - found
流木 - driftwood
草 - grass
生やしたら - grow (tara form)
So maybe it means "The driftwood I found other day is cool". But why the verb is in tara form?
At the end I guess my only problem is with this last word (or words): なっちまった

Last edited:
I already explained なっちまった in my previous post. It's なって (te-form of なる) + しまった (past tense of しまう).

-tara is a kind of conditional as you know. The central point of the sentence is: "...生やしたら、..." = "When I grew ..., ... happened".

You also need to know about subclauses that modify nouns to understand this line (specifically こないだ拾った流木).

Now the questions are:
- What did he grow?
- Where did he grow it?
- What happened as a result of growing it?

So the answers are:
-The grass grew
-On the driftwood
-The room suddenly got stylish
And the translation is "When grass grew on the driftwood I found other day, the room suddenly got stylish"?

Almost - 生やす is transitive, so it's "When I grew grass on the driftwood". (= The grass didn't appear there by itself, he planted it)

With that little mistake fixed, you have the right answer :)

Why, at the end of the sentence, it couldn't be only the past of なる instead of the 2 verbs なってしまった? What's the function of the まった?

Ok. But what's the difference between なる on the past form and なってしまった? I thought the word "got" on my translation could be expressed only with なる on the past.

Nice. (This is a reference to "wwww", the Japanese version of "lololol". If there something really funny on the web, you may see people commenting that "grass is growing")
When you said it I though 草を生やしたら was an expression meaning "cool". If that isn't true what did you mean on that quote?

Sorry, I guess I was being too vague there. One of the tags of the video is "流石に草生えた", meaning "there was grass growing alright". This can refer to both the literal grass in the video, as well as the figurative grass in "wwwww" (this comes from 笑う - warau, but many w's next to each other also look like grass strands).

Another text:
大好評配信中『BLAZBLUE』公式WEBラジオ "ぶるらじ"はブレイブルーを応援する番組です!

Is it "The very popular stream BLAZBLUE official radio "bururadi" is the Blazblue assistance show!".
I guess i just don't understand he begining: "大好評配信中"

Last edited:
Another text:
大好評配信中『BLAZBLUE』公式WEBラジオ "ぶるらじ"はブレイブルーを応援する番組です!

Is it "The very popular stream BLAZBLUE official radio "bururadi" is the Blazblue assistance show!".
I guess i just don't understand he begining: "大好評配信中"
大好評 means 'very popular' as in your translation.
配信中 means the program is currently being aired.
The two modifiers don't affect each other, they are
both modifying ぶるらじ.

大好評配信中
好評 or 大好評 is a phrase, often used in advertisements. Actually I think it is an adverbial phrase modifying how the item is selling. In English, it turns into the somewhat cumbersome: Now on air to great acclaim! But it is just advertising boilerplate.
Bargains Galore!
Buy now while supplies last!
The blockbuster of the season!

Its this sort of set phrase that is meant to generate interest - in this case, it is supposed to convey how popular the thing is. One sees it so often, however, its impact is negligible. But without it, the phrase 配信中 seems rather naked.

The kanji "中" means that the stream is currently being done? Usually it put something in gerund but I don't see what it's doing there. There is no gerund in my translation.

The kanji "中" means that the stream is currently being done? Usually it put something in gerund but I don't see what it's doing there. There is no gerund in my translation.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'put something in the gerund'. I don't see why 中 would create translations with gerunds particularly often.

In any case, it can be used to mean 'in the middle' or 'inside of' (physically), (海中、車中、手中、地中) or it can be used to mean 'in the middle of (doing)' or 'during' temporally (仕事中、工事中). 「配信中」 is in this category.

These meanings can occur with all the readings ちゅう、じゅう、and なか, but ちゅう or なか are most common here.

Just for completeness there's a third common usage which is 'throughout the duration of' (一晩中、年中). This meaning can appear with all three readings also, but じゅう is most common here.

There's also a set of compounds that use figurative or idiomatic sense to describe mental or emotional states (集中). I don't believe these uses are ever as a simple suffix, but will always be a set dictionary word.

Because of the multiple readings across various meanings, you'll often have to consult a dictionary to learn the correct reading of a given compound. Meaning can often be deduced ... 中 appended to a physical thing likely refers to the inside of that thing, while 中 appended to an activity likely refers to the period in which that activity takes place.

Another text: 選択したタグの動画を人気が高い順に表示します
I got this: Popularity shows in decrescent order the tag videos chosen.

I wanted to translate as "The video tags chosen are displayed in descrescent order of popularity", but there's no verb on the passive form and the particle "が" marks "popularity" as the subject instead of "the video tags". Also, I think "タグの動画" means "tag videos" instead of "video tags".

Last edited:
He has arranged it so that the sentence structure should provide a clue to you as to how the phrase should be translated. Let me try to nudge you in the right direction.
The subject is tagged videos (not video tags).
The verb is "display" or "show". This is fine in the present tense, however to make this more natural English, I think its OK to take a very slight liberty and put this into the passive voice.
The が in the adjectival phrase is used to describe the order, and it is understood from the context that it is not pointing to a new subject.

Sorry. I don't know what you wanted to mean.
I added the implied topic of the sentence in square brackets, and marked subclauses by putting them in parentheses. This shows you, for example, that が is not the subject marker for the entire sentence, but only for the clause that modifies 順.

The lines are arranged to reveal the simple [Xは]YをZに<verb> pattern of the sentence.

So X is the "button", Y is the "tagged videos", Z is the "crescent order of popularity" and <verb> is "display".
So it becomes, "tagged videos is displayed in crescent order of popularity". I don't know where that "button" fits. Maybe you said that because you didn't know the context. So here it is: ニコニコ動

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom