What's new

Can anyone recommend a decent japanese grammar "ebooks" for me?

anonymous123

Kouhai
18 May 2016
Some of you may already know that I finished Tae Kim's japanese guide on Japanese Grammar Guide | Learn Japanese. Although Tae Kim's guide gives some intuitions for complete beginners, it lacks accuracy and depth. It's time for more depth and more accuracy.

I'm looking for online/electronic japanese grammar materials. The only online/electronic material that I found and that looked more advanced than Tae Kim's guide was imabi which is a reference material and lacks practices.
Although I prefer free materials, I'm willing to pay some money for ebooks that look good to me.
Does anyone have recommendations?

No, I'm sorry, I thought you wanted a something for practicing not learning Japanese. In all honesty I'm not sure if there any free or ebook materials for what you need. If you're willing to go paperback you could try Amazon.com: Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference (9781568364209): Taeko Kamiya: Books and if you're not afraid of hard work you could go for A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar: Seiichi Makino, Michio Tsutsui: 9784789004541: Amazon.com: Books Online Imabi is probably the most complete reference you'll find.

I looked at Imabi and it is really amazing! Lots of really good explanations and examples. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.:)

I took a glance at the site about a few topics. This is an explanation of ~ている form in the site.

Correct interpretation of ~ている depends on the verb being used. So, pay attention to the kinds of verbs used for each meaning.
http://www.imabi.net/l29teiru.htm

Yes, that's right, but I wonder "the kinds of verbs" can be useful for learners? The explanation about "the kinds" is the key to grasp this structure, isn't it? You would need to ask someone for more detailed explanations, as you've been doing in this thread, after all.

Incidentally, here's an explanation of the same topic in Genki a member quoted previously.

How do you know... ON/KUN and beyond | Page 13 | Japan Forum

I also found the writer's misunderstandings in some explanations in the site. Even if the site is relatively good among free online materials, it's far better to use proper textbooks, I believe.

Thanks for taking a look at the site and giving use your thoughts. I am going to be getting the Genki text book soon. The only problem I have with JapanesePod101.com, which is the site I am mostly using, is that they do not always have the best grammar breakdown. I do have a few other books on hand, but a proper text book is in order, as you said.

Back
Top Bottom