What's new

Anybody know what this movie's title is?

Iron Chef

Villain
Rest in Peace
26 Feb 2003
So... about a month or two back I caught the latter half of some movie that aired on NHK. Japanese movies rarely keep my attention from start to finish (especially the modern contemporary ones) but this one was especially well-acted and had an interesting storyline. I will provide you with what I know and can recall from my initial viewing.

Story revolves around two main characters--a man and a woman, one foreigner (American I think?) and one Japanese. The young woman is blind and apparently lives with her mother. The young man (who speaks fluent Japanese) is living and working in Japan as some kind of proofwriter or something for a Japanese company. The man also has some sort of arrangement with the woman where he reads to her in Japanese from a novel(s) or something. I was unclear about this part... as to why her mother would hire a non-Japanese to read to her in Japanese, who knows.

Anyways, eventually the two develop a bond becoming fast friends. Over time, their relationship grows into something more and they become romantically involved. I know I know... but it is actually presented quite tastefully and it's evident they both do really love each other. Ultimately though... well, sad endings are part and parcel for these kinds of movies but this one in particular was bittersweet.

What struck me the most when I first saw this movie on TV was a scene where the man is eating his lunch at a Yoshinoya-style counter. Seated next to him is a middle-aged Japanese salaryman who tries to strike up a conversation using his English. The young man though coldly ignores him eventually berating him somewhat in Japanese for disturbing his meal. The semi-shocked salaryman quietly goes back to resuming his meal with a look of disgust on his face. I thought how this scene played out was pretty interesting and my description here can't convey the scene accurately.

Anyways, the young woman was quite lovely and gave a solid heartwarming performance. I would very much like to rent this movie and watch it in it's entirety. If anyone has any ideas or thinks they might know the title, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the fast reply! That is exactly what I was looking for and yes it is indeed the same movie. Thanks so much for your help Undrentide, much appreciated.👍

Back
Top Bottom