What's new

Any more EFL teachers on here??

nomad89

後輩
12 Sep 2013
Hi there, I am a 24 year old Brit living and teaching English to kids in China, but hoping to make the move to Japan to teach next year. I would appreciate any advice that you can throw my way, and am keen to learn about all things Japan.

I find China too annoying and too-rude a place to want to live in for another year, and hope that things can be different in Japan (I have heard as much, but perhaps you can enlighten me?!)

Hi nomad, it seems like you've already made up your mind about China. I can understand your point of view, having spent some time there myself (including Wuhan, actually). Chances are, you'll find Japan much more to your liking if your main concern is politeness, though that's not to say you won't still encounter difficulties. It's hard to say what kind of difficulties, as that depends much more on where you end up and with whom you'll be interacting. If you have any specific questions we'll do our best to answer them.

Have you considered trying out any other countries? Or are you mainly focused on Japan?

Hi there nice gaijin. Yes I have definitely made up my mind re. China. I'm sure I'll still encounter cultural differences in Japan, but from the research I've done and the people I've met on my travels (and taking into account the sort of person I am), I will encounter fewer daily frustrations in Japan than China.

I now have just 6 weeks to go on my current contract, so I'm now revamping my CV and hope to start sending it out soon. I understand that as the capital city, Tokyo will have more teaching opportunities than any other cities in Japan, but if I'm after a mix of culture (temples, castles, monuments etc. and fun (bars, clubs, cinemas, playing football weekly etc.), which other cities in Japan would you recommend I consider?

I am also looking at Vietnam (where I will travel to after my contract for some interviews), South Korea and South America. Though I'd love to work in the latter, higher costs of living and lower salaries and potentially having to fly out there first and then secure a job tell me that it's perhaps just not feasible for me right now. Japan was always right up at the top of my list and it's safe to say that nothing has changed in the last 12 months that would make me think otherwise. I am determined to live the dream and get out to Japan soon.

Thanks for your help mate.

Lol, even Chinese people find Chinese people rude, usually it's the xiangxia people that gives the bad reputation.

Tokyo's a big city that attracts a lot of people, so competition for good jobs can be pretty stiff. I've never really looked for a job in Japan like what you're doing, so anything I say is speculation. Any city with a population over a million will probably have enough to keep you occupied, but it depends on your standards,and of course, every city has its own local flavor, and i couldn't say offhand which one would be the best pick for you.

I did work in Korea for a year, which i found to have a relatively good standard of living and still be pretty affordable. can't hurt to look into your options there as well

Back
Top Bottom