What's new

紐でぐるぐる巻きに / 開けなんだ / ひと撫でされる

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. マルフォイは「怪物的な怪物の本」を取り出したが、紐 でぐるぐる巻きに縛ってあった。

While I get the idea of what this is saying, I'm not sure exactly how to parse the last part. Are 紐で and ぐるぐる巻きに both adverbial phrases governing 縛ってあった?

2. 「だれも教科書をまだ開けなんだのか?」

What is 開けなんだ? Could it mean 開けないんだ?

3. 本は噛みつこうとしたが、ハグリッドの巨大な親指で背 表紙をひと撫でされると、...

Is ひと撫でされる = ひと撫・で・される? I cannot grasp the structure of this part of the sentence. How does it work?

4. それぞれ分厚い革の首輪をつけ、それをつなぐ長い鎖の 端をハグリッドの大きな手が全部まとめて握っていた。

Is ハグリッド implied to be the subject of つけ? Does つけ even have a definite subject?

5. 「そいで・・・・えーと・・・・こんだぁ、魔法生物が必要だ。」

I guess こんだぁ = 今度は again?

1)
で indicates means of action there, as same as バスで移動する, 電話で話す, 銃で撃つ.
ぐるぐる巻きに expresses a state "how the book was bound up with the rope", so your interpretation "adverbial phrase" is correct.

2)
なんだ is a classical auxiliary verb for past negative "~なかった". This form is still used in Kansai or western Japanese dialect.

3)
ひと / 撫で / される

"ひと + action noun + する" means "to do something lightly/softly/slightly/briefly or in a general way".

ひと【一】
2 (名詞や動詞の連用形の上に付いて)
(「ひと…する」の形で)軽くある動作を行う、あることをひととおりする意を表す。「―眠りする」「―風呂浴びる」
ひと【一】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

4)
I think that's a state それぞれ首輪をつけていて "each ~ has a collar", so the doer (the one who put a collor on them) is not suggested. If Hagrid is the doer, ハグリッドは、それぞれ分厚い革の首輪をつけ would be used instead.

5)
Yes.

Thanks Toritoribe. In (2), is 開けなんだ/開けなかった the past negative of 開ける(あける), or is it the past negative potential of 開く(ひらく)? How do you tell?

That 's the former; the past negative of あける. The past negative potential ひらけなかった is a past state "no one could open the textbook yet at that time". Isn't it odd to say this words to the people/students in front of him? On the other hand, まだあけなかった is close to the perfect tense まだあけていない here. It seems to fit the context, no?

I'm sorry, I should have given more context because otherwise it is not clear.

These are special magical books that are difficult to open. In order to open them you need a special trick which the students did not know.

Does that make a difference?

Hmm, I see. If まだ means "you all don't know/learn the trick to open the books yet", yeah, the past negative potential ひらけなかった is possible.

Back
Top Bottom