What's new

当たる

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) In the following sentences, does 当たる have this meaning? (あたる【当(た)る/中る】の意味 - goo国語辞書)
物事に探りを入れる。ようすを見る。確かめてみる。

a)「調査」は、明らかにしたい不明な事柄を、多くの対象に当たって総合的に明らかにすること。主として規模が大きな場合に使う。(from ちょうさ【調査】の類語・シソーラス - 類語辞書 - goo辞書)
b)(検証:)実際に物事に当たって調べ、仮説などを証明すること。 (from けんしょう【検証】の意味 - goo国語辞書)

2) What's the difference between を当たる and に当たる. Looking at the following examples it seems like を indicates something concrete that you are searching for, and に indicates where you are searching/ who you are asking/ what you are probing・searching into.
8 〔探りを入れる〕
同僚の意向も当たってみなくては
I must find out what my colleagues think.
太郎がだめなら,正男に当たってみなさい
If Taro cannot [won't] do it, try Masao.
どんな様子か当たってみよう
I'll see how things look [are going].
9 〔照らし合わせて調べる〕
単語を辞典に当たって調べる
look a word up in a dictionary

Last edited:
I checked in a corpus and I think you are correct, but there seems to be other functions. For instance, 他を当たる performs like a set phrase and can be used not only for concrete things, probably because of collocation or something.

I see, thank you!

The reason for my #2 question was mainly because 実際に物事に当たって調べ seemed a bit odd. I wanted to make sure that 物事に当たって is not the same as 物事を当たって.

I have one more sentence. This あたって is the same 当たる as the previous ones, right?
「試みる」は、実際にあたってできるかどうかやってみる意だが、「試す」は、うまくいくか、よいか悪いか、本当かどうかの確認をする意が強い。 (こころみる【試みる】の類語・シソーラス - 類語辞書 - goo辞書)

物事を当たって sounds rather odd probably because 物事 can't refer to a specific/concrete thing, unlike 他 or 対象.

Yes for the second question.

Back
Top Bottom