eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hiya,

1. (a telephone call)

A: 「それでは、係の者と代わりますので、少々待ちくださ い。」
B: 「もしもし、代わりました。」

Can I check the use of 代わる here?

In the first instance, does 代わります mean "(I'll) connect (you)"?

In the second instance, does 代わりました mean "(you've been) connected (to me)"?

2. 私も友達なんかに聞いといてあげる。

Is 聞いといてあげる = 聞いて + おいて + あげる?

3. この本を回しますから、順番に読んでください。

Translation given: "Please read this book and pass it on to the next person."

I translated この本を回します as "pass this book around", and 順番に読んで as "read it in turn", but I do not get what meaning から has here. "after" doesn't seem to make sense according to my interpretation.

4. A guest has given presents to members of the family with whom she is staying. Then we read:

お父さんと子供たちは喜んでくれたが、...

Here I was a bit confused about the meaning and direction of くれた. Does it literally mean that the father and children did the guest the favour of being delighted by the presents?

5. ああ、かわいいじゃない。

Said by someone who has just been given a gift. This does mean "Ah! Isn't that lovely!", right? I want to be sure it doesn't mean "That's not lovely"...

1. (a telephone call)
A: 「それでは、係の者と代わりますので、少々待ちくださ い。」
B: 「もしもし、代わりました。」
Can I check the use of 代わる here?
In the first instance, does 代わります mean "(I'll) connect (you)"?
In the second instance, does 代わりました mean "(you've been) connected (to me)"?

2. 私も友達なんかに聞いといてあげる。
Is 聞いといてあげる = 聞いて + おいて + あげる?
4. A guest has given presents to members of the family with whom she is staying. Then we read:
お父さんと子供たちは喜んでくれたが、...
Here I was a bit confused about the meaning and direction of くれた. Does it literally mean that the father and children did the guest the favour of being delighted by the presents?
All correct. 👍

3. この本を回しますから、順番に読んでください。
Translation given: "Please read this book and pass it on to the next person."
I translated この本を回します as "pass this book around", and 順番に読んで as "read it in turn", but I do not get what meaning から has here. "after" doesn't seem to make sense according to my interpretation.
It expresses the reason, roughly, "pass this book around, so read it in turn". (the same structure to here).

5. ああ、かわいいじゃない。
Said by someone who has just been given a gift. This does mean "Ah! Isn't that lovely!", right? I want to be sure it doesn't mean "That's not lovely"...
Yes. "That's not lovely" is for かわいくないじゃない.

Thanks T. I think I find this use of から difficult because there seems no exact equivalent in English. If I said この本を回して、順番に読んでください, would the meaning be much different from the original version with から?

(If I made a dumb mistake and my proposed sentence is bad Japanese, then my intention is to say "Please pass this book around and read it in turn".)

Thanks T. I think I find this use of から difficult because there seems no exact equivalent in English. If I said この本を回して、順番に読んでください, would the meaning be much different from the original version with から?

(If I made a dumb mistake and my proposed sentence is bad Japanese, then my intention is to say "Please pass this book around and read it in turn".)

この本を回しますから順番に読んでください。
The subject of 回す and that of 順番に読む are different.
If it is in a class, the teacher says "I'll pass around this book (among you students), so read it in turn."

この本を回して、順番に読んでください。
In this case the subject of 回す and 順番に読む are the same (= students).
Then "please pass this book around and read it in turn".

この本を回しますから順番に読んでください。
The subject of 回す and that of 順番に読む are different.
If it is in a class, the teacher says "I'll pass around this book (among you students), so read it in turn."
Aha, thanks. I was missing that important detail!

Back
Top Bottom