What's new

なり / 計りし者 / が /

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi

1. 「内なる部屋に押し入ろうと計りし者なり!」

(I think this character speaks in archaic language.)

a) What is this なり?

b) Does 計りし modify 者? How does that work grammatically?

2. 生乾きのインクが光っている「数占い」の長いレポートと、もっと長い「マグル学」の作文(「マグルはなぜ 電気を必要とするか説明せよ」)、それに、ハーマイオニーがいま格闘中の「古代ルーン語」の翻訳だ。

I can understand what this basically is saying, but I am unsure grammatically how ハーマイオニーが fits the sentence. Is there an omitted but implied verb?

3. クルックシャンクスがスカバーズを食ってしまおうとしているのに、ハーマイオニーはそのことを一度も真剣に考えず、猫を見張ろうともし なかった、とロンは激怒した。

(クルックシャンクス is Hermione's cat.)

What is the function of に (or のに)?

1) a)
That's an auxiliary verb for assertion. You can think it as だ in modern Japanese.

b)
Yes. 計った者だ makes sense?

2)
ハーマイオニー is the subject of 格闘中(だ).

3)
adversative conjunction (nevertheless)

Thanks Toritoribe

計った者だ makes sense?

Yes. Is 計りし = root of 計る + root of する?

3. I did consider this meaning of のに, but at this point in the story it is not known for sure whether Crookshanks ate (or tried to eat) Scabbers (the pet rat). Therefore "nevertheless", and other similar words in English, do not seem to work. Also, I am unclear why している is present tense when this is talking about a past event. Any ideas?

1)
Yes for 計り, but し is the attributive form of a classical auxiliary verb for past tense き.

3)
The whole clauses "クルックシャンクスがスカバーズを食ってしまおうとしているのに、ハーマイオニーはそのことを一度も真剣に考えず、猫を見張ろうともしなかった" is the reason why Ron got angry. It just expresses his idea, so it has nothing to do with whether the fact was really so or not.

The last verb 見張ろうともしなかった is past, so しているのに and していたのに are the same in meaning. (The former is written from the viewpoint of that time, whereas the latter is from the viewpoint of now.)

1)
Yes for ナ致窶堙ィ, but 窶堋オ is the attributive form of a classical auxiliary verb for past tense 窶堋ォ.
Actually, I have another phrase, ニ担ニ辰ニ停?ケ窶堙固スw窶堙嫁スc窶堙ィ窶堋オツ渉敖債ュ, which looks to use a similar pattern, but this is not part of archaic dialogue, it is just in the main narrative. What 窶堋オ is this? Is this something different?

It just expresses his idea, so it has nothing to do with whether the fact was really so or not.
But it would imply that Ron thought the cat had tried to attack the rat, yes?

Actually, I have another phrase, ゴイルの指に残りし傷痕, which looks to use a similar pattern, but this is not part of archaic dialogue, it is just in the main narrative. What し is this? Is this something different?
That's the same as 計りし者. Probably the translator used it to add solemn nuance.

But it would imply that Ron thought the cat had tried to attack the rat, yes?
Yes.

OK, thanks.

Sorry, for the record, my mistake, ゴイルの指に残りし傷痕 is actually in dialogue, but not spoken by the character who speaks in archaic language, but from another character who normally speaks in ordinary language, who in this case must be putting on a (probably insincere) solemn voice, like you say.

Back
Top Bottom