What's new

だから / 考えた / 尻目に

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. Ron has previously told Hermione not to antagonise a particular newspaper reporter, warning her that the reporter will take revenge. Later, Ron reads a nasty magazine article that the reporter has written about about Hermione. Then Ron says to Hermione 「だから言ったじゃないか!」. What is the purpose of だから? I usually think of だから at the start of a sentence as meaning something like "So, ...." (i.e. expressing a consequence), but it doesn't seem to fit here.

2. 「あの子、ブスよ」決発でかわいらしい四年生のパンジー・パーキンソンは、そう言う。「だけど、『愛の妙薬』を調合することは考えたかもしれない。」

Who is the subject of 考えた?

3. ハリーが怒るのを尻目に、スネイプは声を出して記事を読みはじめた。

What is the grammar of を尻目に? Is 尻目に adverbial? Is there an implied verb, such as ...を尻目に見て?

1)
I expected they might take revenge on you, so I told you! / There! I told you!

だから
だから言わないことじゃない
There! Didn't I tell you so?/There! I told you so.
だからの英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

2)
あの子

3)
That's originally from 尻目に見て, as you interpreted correctly, but just 尻目に without any verb is more common.
しりめ【尻目】
【例文】
皆の反対を尻目に彼は旅立って行った
He ignored everyone's opposition and left on a trip.
しりめ【尻目】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

しりめ【尻目/後目】
2 (「…をしりめに」の形で)その場のようすをちらっと見てあとは構わず自分の行動を進めるさま。「同僚の慰留を―に会社をやめた」
しりめ【尻目/後目】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

other idiomatic examples
彼はビールを片手に(持って)、こちらへやってきた。
希望を胸に(抱いて)、大学に進学した。
家族を心の支えに(して)、働いた。

Thanks as always Toritoribe.

2. In that case, I feel uncertain about the overall meaning and the role of ことは. Is it saying that あの子 (Hermione) may have considered making a love potion? If so, why ことは and not ことを?

So creating a love potion may have been something that Hermione was particularly/especially considering?

Pansy Parkinson thought/intimated that Hermione might be particularly/especially considering (i.e., Hermione might actually not).

Back
Top Bottom