What's new

たり

Rinilex

先輩
20 Feb 2013
I'm trying to make this sentence:

"It's great for sleeping (falling asleep?), meditating, relaxing, etc." (Telling someone about an online sound machine.)

眠ったり、瞑想したり、休んだりするとすごいです。

I'm not sure if すると is correct, but it's the only example I can find when I look up "it's good for (verb), etc."

そして音のレベルが変わられます (And you can change the level of noise.)

By the above, I mean you can move buttons upon and down to make one part of the noise louder or quieter (say if it's rain, you can raise the loudness of the thunder or lower it.)

I would say:
眠ったり、瞑想したり、リラックスしたりする場合に最適です。
個々の構成音の音量を変更することも可能です。
(for customers)

変わる(intransitive) --> 変われます(polite potential)
変える(transitive) --> 変えられます(polite potential)

変わられます is polite passive or honorific of intransitive 変わる.

Thanks! It's not a customer, just someone I email who I still feel polite speech is probably more suitable with (they're a little older than me, to boot.)

So it should be が変えられます? I thought it would be "the sound level can BE changed"... or in this sentence, is it rather "you can change the level" but the あなた is being omitted?

In this scenario, I wanted to add "I thought it could help you", but I don't know what word is appropriate here. 手伝う? 助ける? The latter seems a bit extreme for the intended meaning.

my attempt for that case:
眠ったり、瞑想したり、リラックスしたりするのにすごく向いてます。
それに、音の種類ごとに音量を変えることもできるんです。

Right. 変えられます is correct. It's not so common that an inanimated thing is the subject of a sentence in Japanese, therefore 音のレベル is usually interpreted as the object of 変えられます.

I would use 役に立つ.

Thank you!

Should する always be placed at the end of a sentence that involves listing たり actions?

It's more common and natural to use する, but 眠ったり、瞑想したり、リラックスしたり(とか)にす ごく向いてます is acceptable especially in casual conversations.

Back
Top Bottom