What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

やりおった!

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
Hello,

ついにやったか やりおったか! これでこの国も救われる!
This is said to the hero who saved the world, by an old man who helped him. What is the meaning of おる in やりおった?

From the dictionary, "3㋐(相手を軽蔑する気持ちを込めて)…やがる。" is the only one that fits, but I don't think the old man says やりおったか with a negative meaning. After all, he is happy that the hero saved the world...

I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the context right, so I found another similar example where a negative meaning doesn't fit:
Originally Dr. Orchid cheers that "He did it! He did it! He really won!" (オォーやったやった!サトシのやつ、やりおった!) [...]

My guess is that this おる can also have a positive meaning if it is said to someone you are good friends with, or in very colloquial settings.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Hello,

ついにやったか やりおったか! これでこの国も救われる!
This is said to the hero who saved the world, by an old man who helped him. What is the meaning of おる in やりおった?

From the dictionary, "3㋐(相手を軽蔑する気持ちを込めて)…やがる。" is the only one that fits, but I don't think the old man says やりおったか with a negative meaning. After all, he is happy that the hero saved the world...

I wasn't sure if I was interpreting the context right, so I found another similar example where a negative meaning doesn't fit:
Originally Dr. Orchid cheers that "He did it! He did it! He really won!" (オォーやったやった!サトシのやつ、やりおった!) [...]

My guess is that this おる can also have a positive meaning if it is said to someone you are good friends with, or in very colloquial settings.
Yes, that's right. おる has a positive nuance there. やがる also has this usage (e.g. うれしいこと言いやがって). It's similar to くれる, which is usually positive, but can be used in a negative nuance sarcastically (e.g. なんてことしてくれたんだ!, よくもやってくれたな).

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
Yes, that's right. おる has a positive nuance there. やがる also has this usage (e.g. うれしいこと言いやがって). It's similar to くれる, which is usually positive, but can be used in a negative nuance sarcastically (e.g. なんてことしてくれたんだ!, よくもやってくれたな).
I see. Thank you very much for the explanation.

Top Bottom