What's new

たけ v じょう

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
彼は日のあたる所に出て行き、丈の高い草の中に姿を消えた。

Is it たけ or じょう for 丈 above?
たけ is height while じょう is a measure of length. I wonder why it is たけ, not じょう in this case.

Since 消える is an intransitive verb, should が be used as in 姿が消えた, not 姿を消えた?

It's たけ. Counters don't use without number.

The example sentence is ungrammatical, by the way. It should be 姿を消た or 姿消えた. Another example of the unreliability of the site you are referring to.

姿消えた, not 姿を消た?
These are both correct, as Toritoribeさん stated.

It should be 姿を消た or 姿消えた

Subject+intransitive verb, or object plus transitive verb. The reverse is not acceptable,
✖姿を消えた
✖姿が消した

These have a mismatch. If you want to say 姿has disappeared, then it needs to be the subject of 消した ; if you want to say he hid his 姿 then it needs to be the object of 消えた.

if you want to say he hid his 姿 then it needs to be the object of 消えた.
I had supposed those take an object needs to be a transitive verb such as 消した and those don't would be an intransitive verb such as 消えた. So in the case of him hiding something a transitive verb might be in order, i.e. 消した.

There is no need to be his volitional action since it can be an objective description of a scene, not the one from his viewpoint. Thus, there is no problem with 姿が消えた, as we already pointed out.

I had supposed those take an object needs to be a transitive verb such as 消した and those don't would be an intransitive verb such as 消えた. So in the case of him hiding something a transitive verb might be in order, i.e. 消した.

These have a mismatch. If you want to say 姿has disappeared, then it needs to be the subject of 消した ; if you want to say he hid his 姿 then it needs to be the object of 消えた.
I misspoke here, as you can see my explanation doesn't match the correct examples.
姿が消えた subject of intransitive verb
姿を消した object of transitive verb

Counter-examples are the opposite.
✖姿を消えた cannot be object of intransitive verb
✖姿が消した does not make sense as subject of transitive verb

Sorry for any confusion this caused. Hopefully that clears things up.

Back
Top Bottom