What's new

そういうのって / いった

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. A woman has been complaining of being tired and explains that she has had a long and difficult day. Then her husband says:

ふーん。ま、そういうのって疲れるのよね。

Is そういうのって = そういう + の (nominalising) + って (quoting)?

If so, what is the connection between そういうの and 疲れるの? Could it be implying something like "that (= what you just explained) is why you're tired"?

2. 予防注射を打っていたわが家の子供たちも、次から次に インフルエンザにかかっていった。

My translation: "Even our children, who had been vaccinated, one by one caught the flu."

a) Why is the ~ている tense used for 打っていた?

b) What is いった at the end? I'm guessing 行った, signifying the idea of a succession of children succumbing to the illness, but I'm not sure.

1)
の in そういうの is not a nominalizer but a pronoun.

Is the speaker really the hasband? Isn't it 疲れるよね? 疲れるのよね is a female language, at least quite rarely used by male.

2) a)
~ている can express "experience".

b)
Yes, that's right.

1. Yes, sorry, it's 疲れるよね. A spurious の slipped in somehow.

Unfortunately the knowledge that の is a pronoun does not help me understand the second part of my question: what sort of connection between そういうの and 疲れるよね is indicated by って?

そういうのって疲れるよね。 = そういうのは疲れるよね。
Yeah, things like that(= what she experienced in the day) really makes people/us tired.

Does this って have much of a sense of quoting (i.e. referencing the fact that the wife had spoken of そういうの), or is it more just marking そういうの as a topic?

Both. This って is the same as という.

[係助]名詞、名詞的な語に付く。
1 ある事柄を話題として取り上げて示す意を表す。…は。 …というのは。「あなた―親切な人ね」「彼―だれのこ と」
って - goo辞書

Thanks, yes, I realise it is like というのは, but sometimes I am not very sure how literal the "という" part is in that either. I mean, sometimes ~というのは is used when nobody has literally said ~, right? So perhaps ~って could also be used when no one has literally said ~?

Probably the interpritation of いう is the key? This いう doesn't mean "to say", i.e., ~という isn't limited to a things that is actually said. It might be just a word or person, for instance.

疲れるよね/疲れるものだ。If you think of 疲れる as more accurately translated "tiring" than tired, which would repeat what the wife had already clarified, it becomes perfectly understandable that the husband is attempting to 'summarize' or a support that explanation for her present state (i.e. those kinds of things make us tired, or are tiring).

Back
Top Bottom