8 Jun 2010
Hiya,

1. These two people have just met up:

足立: お、石口、こっち、こっち。
石口: いや、元気そうだな。
足立: いや~、久しぶりだなあ。

a) Does こっち mean "come over here"?

b) Do いや and いや~ mean something a bit like "hey!"

c) Does 元気そうだな mean "you seem in good spirits"?

2. The speaker is explaining why he has quit his job.

考えてみたらさあ、俺って、学生の時は、とにかく勉強 してりゃいいっていうか、どっかで勉強を生きがいにし てたとこ、あったんだよ。

I believe the gist of this is "Thinking about it, when I was a student ... in some ways I lived just to study."

a) However, I do not understand the middle part とにかく勉強してりゃいいっていうか, largely because I do not understand how to parse してりゃいい.

b) Does とこ refer to his time as a student? Does it refer to particular moments, or to events generally? Is とこ the subject of あった?

3. The author has been talking about some American customs that he found unfamiliar, and has said that he soon realised these were the usual American way of being polite and hospitable.

しかし、内心はどうだっていいじゃないかという気がし きりにした。

Beyond understanding that the basic structure is X という気がY, I can make little sense of this sentence. What does it mean?

4. アメリカ人とは何と小さなことで一々選択しなければな らないのか、あたかもそうすることによって自分が自由 であることを確かめでもするかのように、こんな風にも 私は考えた、

I understand this to basically mean: "It also seemed to me that, with Americans, every smallest thing has to be individually chosen [talking particularly about choosing how one wants one's food and drink to be prepared], as if by doing this one affirms one's freedom."

a) Does ... か ... か signify supposition or speculation on the speaker's part?

b) Does ように apply to考えた, meaning that he thought in the way described (and seemingly duplicating the meaning of こんな風に)?

1) a)
Or, it can be "I'm here".

b) c)
Yes.

2) a)
していればいい

b)
Yes, とこ(ろ) is the subject.

There is a side that~ in me. = I have a side that~.

3)
気がした: I had a feeling that~
しきりに is an adverb to express the degree.

4) a)
Yes.

b)
No. It's an inversion. ように is connected to 選択しなければならない.

Thank you!

3. I guess that 内心はどう might mean "how they really feel", but what does だっていいじゃないか mean in this situation?

4b. Could you write that out in non-inverted form?

1)
内心は/どうだっていいじゃないか

内心 means the writer's inner thoughts.

4)
アメリカ人とは、あたかもそうすることによって自分が自由であることを確かめでもするかのように、何と小さなことで一々選択しなければならないのか、こんな風にも私は考えた。

こんな風 refers to the whole clauses preceding it.

Oh, right, I thought 内心 referred to the Americans' inner thoughts. However, I still cannot understand the part どうだっていいじゃないか. Can you explain how that works?

どうだっていい = どうでもいい

I guess this 何と is this version, right?

感心・失望などの気持ちを強調して表す。なんて。「―美しい花だ」「―愚かな人だ」

And it's modifying 小さい (or 小さなこと), so the speaker has a feeling of "such little things!" I had to check on that, because it wasn't making sense to me.

I still cannot understand the part どうだっていいじゃないか. Can you explain how that works?
The writer thinks there is no need to take care such a thing(= the thing mentioned previously).

I guess this 何と is this version, right?

感心・失望などの気持ちを強調して表す。なんて。「―美しい花だ 」「―愚かな人だ」

And it's modifying 小さい (or 小さなこと), so the speaker has a feeling of "such little things!" I had to check on that, because it wasn't making sense to me.
Yes, that's right. なんて sounds more colloquial than なんと.

The writer thinks there is no need to take care such a thing(= the thing mentioned previously).
With the previous sentence, it reads:

私はこれがアメリカ人の丁重なもてなし方であることはすぐに分かった。しかし、内心はどうだっていいじゃないかという気がしきりにした。

So, is the writer essentially saying that he realised this (= offering guests endless choice) was the American way of hospitality, but deep down he thought it was unnecessary?

Back
Top Bottom