What's new

が / 以下 / させられた / 万葉集 / いられなかった

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 二十万-二十五万円が四十数人、残り約五十人が十九万 円以下で、一円も使わなかった人も六人いた。

Translation given: "Forty employees spent between 200,000 and 250,000 yen, and about 50 made use of less than 190,000 yen. Six employees actually spent not a single yen of the money.

a) Does this mean: 二十万-二十五万円が四十数人だった。残り約五十人が 十九万円以下だった。一円も使わなかった人も六人いた 。? I'm slightly unclear about the purpose of が and the fact the "subject" and "object" seem to be opposite ways round in the two clauses.

b) Strictly speaking, does 十九万円以下 mean "less than 190,000 yen" or "190,000 yen or less"?

2. 貴女に大怪我をさせられたせいで、この子の夏休みの予 定は全部おじゃんになってしまっ たんですよ?

Translation given: "Thanks to you getting him badly injured the whole of that kid's summer plans came to nothing!"

Who is the subject of させられた? Is it 子? Is it saying that the child was caused, by 貴女, to perform the action described as 大怪我をする? Does 大怪我をする therefore mean "injure oneself" (as opposed to injure someone else)?

3. 古く万葉集の防人の歌は、...

Translation given: "The Manyoshu, an ancient poetic anthology about soldiers dispatched to Kyushu, ..."

I thought this meant, more accurately, "A poem/poems about soldiers dispatched to Kyushu that appear(s) in the Manyoshu,...". Is this correct?

4. 新聞をたたむ手をとめて、自問自答せずにいられなかっ た。

Is いられなかった the past negative potential form of いる (居る)?

1) a)
Probably because the writer wanted to insert 残り. 二十万-二十五万円が四十数人、十九万円以下が約五十人で、 is quite common, but 十九万円以下が残り約五十人で sounds a bit awkward.

b)
The latter. "Less than 190,000 yen" is 十九万円未満. Thus, the example sentence should be 残り約五十人が二十万円未満で, otherwise 十九万-二十万円 is not counted in the data.

2)
大怪我をさせられた doesn't always mean 貴女 caused この子 to perform an action. It's an indirect passive, so it can be used, for instance, when she ran the kid over.

3)
Right. The translation given is for 防人の歌、万葉集は.

4)
Yes.

Hi Toritoribe.

1. Is my paraphrasing of the first part into two sentences of the form "X が Y だった" correct? Is this the way the parallel structure works?

2. This one is tying my brain in knots. Does 大怪我をする mean "sustain an injury"? Does 大怪我をさせる mean "cause someone to sustain an injury (i.e. an injury to themselves)"? Does 貴女に大怪我をさせられた mean that the child sufferered / was affected because 貴女 caused the child to sustain an injury"?

二十万-二十五万円(使った人)四十数人(いて)、

(百人のうち)残り約五十人十九万 円以下(しか使わなかった人)で、
(=十九万円以下しか使わなかった人約五十人)

一円も使わなかった人も六人いた。

怪我をする get injured
怪我をさせる get someone injured

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom