What's new

Yosegaki Hinomaru Translation

Rskier

Registered
10 Mar 2015
I have a Yosegaki Hinomaru which I would like identified/translated. Any suggestions or assistance appreciated

Attachments

• yosegaki Hinomaru1.jpg
    yosegaki Hinomaru1.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 250
  • yosegaki Hinomaru5.jpg
    yosegaki Hinomaru5.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 227
  • yosegaki Hinomaru4.jpg
    yosegaki Hinomaru4.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 220
  • yosegaki Hinomaru3.jpg
    yosegaki Hinomaru3.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 231
I think we've seen this flag on here before. Or, something similar to it. If I'm not mistaken, the vertical signature to the bottom right of the red disk is supposed to be "Tojo Hideki". The other flag that had a "Tojo Hideki" signature also had ridiculous phrases like "WWII" written on it. It was a fairly obvious forgery, as I suspect yours is.

I think we've seen this flag on here before. Or, something similar to it. If I'm not mistaken, the vertical signature to the bottom right of the red disk is supposed to be "Tojo Hideki". The other flag that had a "Tojo Hideki" signature also had ridiculous phrases like "WWII" written on it. It was a fairly obvious forgery, as I suspect yours is.
After posting this on the .jref.com forum, I found a website which is from a non-profit group who are trying to repatriate these flags with the families in Japan who lost relatives. OBON 2015 「寄せ書き日の丸」返還運動 I sent them the same images of my flag, and they did contact me. Your opinion was confirmed about my flag as they sent me images of 4 identical flags in their possesion. They are trying to research where they were produced. My father-in-law obtained this flag while serving in the Phillipines ~ 1944, but unfortunately is no longer living for me to find out more details. Thanks for your quick response and research!

I used to listen to my dad and some of his friends who fought in the Pacific tell stories about making fake war stuff for military personal to take home and how they would say it was from the body of a Japanese soldier in a famous battle to get more money. I guess during and after WWII a lot of money was made with fake items and tall tale stories.
I have a flag from 1971 like that that friends gave me for a going away present. The material it's made of looks very old and faded in just 44 years , making it look much older.

Back
Top Bottom