What's new

Writing dates in kanji

Victor.g

Registered
19 Jul 2019
Hi there,
First of all, I'm newbie around here and i can not write not read a word in japanese, sorry 'bout that, but have a lot of curiosity about kanji symbols and writing.
I have a question about writing dates in kanji. In fact, writing birth dates (don't know if that makes any difference from ordinary dates).
The date i want to write down is 27th september 2014, and after a little research have these alternatives. Don't know if any of these is used in everyday writting, not even if they are correct. They are only what i've supposed it will look like. Will appreciate if someone can point me out which one is correct (if any) and in what kind of context they could be used. Can they be present in horizontal and vertical writing?. What will be the correct way to write with kanji/daiji symbols vertically?!:

1- Decimal numbers: 2014年9月27日
2- Kanji numbers: 二千十四年九月二十七日
3- Kanji by digit: 二〇一四年九月二七日
4- Daiji numbers: 弐阡拾四年九月弐拾七日
5- Daiji numbers (bank style) + Era Year: 平成弐拾六年九月弐拾七日
6- Daiji all digits + Era Year: 平成弐拾陸年玖月弐拾漆日
7- Daiji all digits + Era Year + WeekDay: 平成弐拾陸年玖月弐拾漆日土

Thank you in advance!!!
Victor

There are multiple ways to do it. The choice depends in part on who your audience is, and how easily read you want it to be.

Because it is a date, and not a monetary amount, you can skip daiji, although they are sometimes used in this case as well.

Because it is vertical writing, using the Japanese era name is more suitable than using the western year notation.

If you use kanji for the numerals, it is better to write them as numbers rather than as individual digits (e.g. 二十六 instead of 二六).

This picture I found on the web shows a typical and nice way to write a date vertically:

#1 is most common. Actually, #1 is almost equally as common as the traditional era-name (nengo) system.
Vertical writing in kanji is appropriate if the context allows or demands it. Vertical writing with combination of arabic letters and kanji, while not entirely unusual, can be difficult to read or understand.
#2 not common, but can be seen on official documents or certain bureaucratic papers.
#3 not common. In fact, virtually non-existent.
#4 non-existent (some variant of this exists on paper currency).
#5 extremely uncommon
#6 non-existent
#7 non-existent.

Daiji are almost only encountered on currency, historical texts, or specialized contexts (receipts for some big-ticket items).

(Written before I saw Joadbres's reply, which is also correct.)

Thank you joadbres, majestic!!!

Your answer bring lot of light. If i did not misunderstood you, the correct way to write it in vertical kanji is:

Anyway, although extremely uncommon, it's also correct:

Thank you very much!!!

Yeah, the bottom version on your post above is so unusual, looking at it now I think you would never encounter this style nowadays. We see it on pre-Showa things, but I think it would be very rare to see this style.

Thank you Majestic!!

Just another question. Would it be inapropiate or wrong to specify the weekday at the bottom/end?!
It's a Birth Date what i'm trying to write, and it makes sense (at least in certain contexts) to write down it was (for example) a saturday (that's the case).
Something like:

I know 土 is the shortened "name" for saturday, doest it make sense written in that way o none at all?!?

ありがとう

Usually, when writing horizontally, the day of the week will be put in parenthesis; for example 2019年7月21日(日)
The same convention can be used when writing horizontally, But aesthetically I prefer the mix of western/arabic numerals as above, instead of a solid line of kanji, unless its something like a New Year's Day card.

If its an official birth announcement, I think its also OK to use kanji only, since its a semi-formal occasion.

Parentheses should be used to separate the kanji denoting the day of the week, as @Majestic mentioned.

Note that the parenthesis characters have a special form for vertical writing, where they are rotated.

If you implement vertical writing properly, such as by installing and configuring Asian language support in your word processor of choice, this will be done automatically. If however, you decide to try to manually simulate vertically writing, it will be difficult to do this properly, and will probably look rather sloppy and unprofessional.

Note to @thomas or other administrators:

could you please move this ongoing discussion into its own thread (starting with post #1737)?

Thank you.

I would say all the followings are correct for vertical writing. You can choose the one you like.

vertical_writing.jpg

Thank you very much @Majestic, @joadbres and @Toritoribe.

You just helped me a lot. Hope these posts can help others as much as they helped me.

I'm going rather with option 5 or 6 from @Toritoribe last post. More likely option 6 since it is more explicit when it comes to writing "double Arabic digits" numbers, for Heisei era year, and day in month (26 and 27) in my case.

Back
Top Bottom