What's new

Windows 10 - the good the bad , the ugly.

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
I'm getting ready to update my Windows 7 computer to the free version of Windows 10 they offer. Stories on the internet range from easy no problems to 10 hour download attempts . Wondering how our members here have fared when they made the switch. Any helpful tips and hints to make it go better. I plan to do a full backup to DVD's and to a couple external hard drives so I have them on hand to save me if I get into trouble. Anything special I should do before and after ?

Sorry Frank, I have no personal experiences to share, but I'm looking forward to hearing how you fare! I was ready to upgrade my home boxes, then everyone advised against it. I guess we'll remain on W7 until EOS, just like we did with XP. :p

I had no problems whatsoever, but I was extremely glad that I had an original install disk in my possession -just in case-. And I backed up all my personal files to my external hard drive first.

I was also glad to note that the Japanese environment is no longer locked away from home editions in Windows 10.

Oh wait, that reminds me. I -did- have one problem, trying to run 'planetarian' (visual novel), it wouldn't display Japanese until I installed the 'language pack', even though all my other programs did so out of the box, so that may be something to look for.

This thread prompted me to upgrade to Windows 10. This is my experience so far:
  • Started downloading the upgrade at about 10:00pm
  • Computer went into sleep mode twice while downloading. Download was still "in progress" after re-starting the computer each time.
  • Woke up and restarted the computer again, and again got the "in progress" screen.
  • Manually closed down the "in progress" screen after a couple of hours of no progress.
  • Restarted downloading (this time with no sleep mode interruptions) and completed the download in less than an hour.
  • Started the install, but got a message asking me to delete a component from my PC (something called DiXi...) and reboot.
  • Deleted the component then rebooted, this time I was prompted to update one of the components in my current Win 7.
  • Updated then rebooted. ← 今ここ
Total time elapsed (eliminating the sleep mode times): about 3-4 hours. Still no Win10 :confused:
I know all the new components are downloaded because I can see them all in the download list. I'm expecting them to install automatically, but maybe I have to do something manually.
About to reboot and see what happens.
...to be continued.

Sorry fans. Tried 5 times to install, and 5 times it failed. This is where I give up. Time lost: 6 hours, give or take.

W7. I don't know where its gagging. The Win10 upgrade files were downloaded fine, and then I get prompted to install, the machines automatically reboots, and during reboot I get a screen saying that it is upgrading to Win10, but then midway it fails and defaults to the Win7 log in screen that I always use.

I tried to upgrade from W7 too. Downloaded all the W10 upgrade files, then got stuck as an essential Windows Update file was missing. Unable to "update", it was also impossible to "upgrade".

What bothers me is that whenever I start up the PC I still get that ugly W10-upgrade pop-up.

OK , now all the info I see on the internet and here convinces me to leave well enough alone with my Windows 7.

I'm not sure how obvious it is, but are you booting your pc with outer storage that has W10 installation file on it?

I'm not using external storage.
Then you should try putting W10 files on some outer storage, flash drive probably is the easiest and then turn off pc with insert storage and then when you see picture with f12 f2 esc and other keys look if there is boot associated with any of them and press that button if it's not there then try f12 f2 f8 Esc hopefully one of them will work. It will open up boot menu and you must select outer storage and it should start install.
But remember that if you do that it will clean install so backup your files.
I hope you understand what I wrote as I'm in a bit of hurry and kinda sleepy.
Good luck.

I haven't done it yet but my wife did on our her Win8 computer. The update itself went well but she had a couple issues after that requiring re-installation of some software. I've been hesitant because even many of my Win8 updates haven't been loading properly for over a year but just last weekend after some research I tried temporarily disabling my Norton firewall and that allowed the updates to load. So I'll probably try the Win10 update one of these days.

Anyway the reason I mention all this is that if you have 3rd party PC protection installed maybe that could cause issues with Win10 as well.

What bothers me is that whenever I start up the PC I still get that ugly W10-upgrade pop-up.
It's possible to remove the Win10 advertising, as well as all the new telemetry (spying) that came along with it, by uninstalling a number of updates. Just make sure to set them to Hidden after uninstalling, otherwise they'll automatically be reinstalled after a while.

For me it's simple - I see no added value in Win10 (yet), so I'm not bothering with the upgrade :). And frankly I'm also put off by just how pushy Microsoft is being.

For me it's simple - I see no added value in Win10 (yet), so I'm not bothering with the upgrade :). And frankly I'm also put off by just how pushy Microsoft is being.
I upgraded for a couple reasons, but the main one is that Microsoft has been dropping support for older OS's in increasingly shorter times. I don't want to find myself in a position that the free upgrade offer has expired when they stop supporting Windows 7.

The other reason is that I couldn't install the Japanese environment on Windows 7 without upgrading to a more expensive license. (Of course it's arguable that there's no real benefit to having a カレンダー instead of a calendar, and you can still use most third-party software in Japanese just fine without the language environment.)

I really should upgrade my laptop too, for different reason... my laptop has Windows 8 installed. I really despise that thing. I'd probably find more reasons to use my laptop if I didn't hate the environment on it!

Windows 10 is fine as versions of Windows go... for me, at least, Windows 10 feels like the first time I'm not fighting with the OS all the time. (OTOH, Win7 seemed fine too, but I only got this computer this summer so I didn't have a long time with 7).

The other reason is that I couldn't install the Japanese environment on Windows 7 without upgrading to a more expensive license.
With a third-party tool called Vistalizator it's possible to install language packs onto any edition of Windows 7. I could successfully (and quickly) convert my English Win7 Professional to a Japanese one this way, even though this is officially only supported with the Enterprise and Ultimate editions.

I really should upgrade my laptop too, for different reason... my laptop has Windows 8 installed. I really despise that thing.
If it's about the (lack of) start menu, another possible option is Classic Shell.

If you already have switched to win10, welcome aboard, dont forget to read the starter guides and disable the plethora of data mining features in the OS.

If you still have windows 7, then stick to it, trust me its better that way.

Do not click the "x" to dismiss!

_89790481_89780077.jpg

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

That may explain how a friend got when they swore they did nothing to OK a download. I get a pop up in my lower right screen each day asking if I am ready to download it. My computers usually only last 3 years before the motherboard gives out and the one I have now is due to die. I probably will have to give in to 10 when I buy my next PC.

I noticed Apple is doing something similar recently. If you hit "Later" on the iPhone when it pops up regarding iOS update, it will attempt to schedule an automatic update in the middle of the night.

Postscript to my post above: I ended up buying a new computer that had Windows 10 pre-installed on it. So far so good. No complaints, much faster than my old one. Taking me some time to get used to the new interfaces used in Office, but no major dramas. I'm a bit nervous that the panels (the navigation panels that show recently used files or often-used applications, mail, photos, etc.) are using up CPU resources, and eventually those panels will be a drag on boot-up times, but so far so good.

If you have already upgraded, read through this:

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here's how to opt out | BGR

Quoted from Microsoft's privacy statement:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

:eek:

My W7 updated to W10 without my permission and I wasn't brave enough to attempt to stop it for fear I would have to restore to factory settings. I've heard about a lot of problems but my upgrade took about 2 hours and I didn't have any trouble. Kind of glad my laptop took the decision out of my hands.

Back
Top Bottom