What's new

Why do Japanese roads never have loading parking spots?

cloa513

後輩
28 May 2016
I ride on some really new roads and there are always idling stop taking over the bicycle lanes. I don't blame them totally because there should be loading parking spots called loading zone for 15 mins max parking. The footpath is certainly wide enough to have a parallel parking spot here and there. They could double up as bus stops- there are buses but they are so infrequent. Of course it would take some degree of enforcement but better to at least signal to drivers that they can't leave their vehicles blocking a lane. Several lanes in road. Why no parking zones in new roadscapes?

Lack of space
Poor urban planning
Historical street layout that was designed for a pre-automotive era, and the momentum of past decision-making continues to influence road design into today.
Preference to live with the mild inconvenience of double-parked trucks rather than to devote a parking space to infrequent delivery vehicles

Pick any you like.

Do you need street parking space?
Mechanical underground parking lot-Eco Park-

There are many underground parking lots and multi-storey car parks in the city center.

Multi-storey car park

Municipal Sagamiono Station West Bicycle Parking Mechanical Bicycle Parking Machine Underground Mechanism.

Kinshicho Station south exit machine type bicycle parking lot.

There are enough parking lots in the Tokyo downtown area.
However, the one using JR and the subway is cheap when I think about a parking rate,
and the moving time is early, too.
I have a hard time to look for a bicycle parking place as there are few bicycle parking lots of the large motorcycle in the downtown area.

Around 1 Chome-124番地1 Kishikicho, Omiya Ward, Saitama, 330-8501 is a particular concerning area. The streetscape is totally new.

Coin parking around Omiya Ward Hall, Saitama City.
Mitsui Repark (You can be confirmed whether there's any place left to park in this lot.)

Why is this such a particular concern of yours? I mean, I admit it's annoying when a car parked on the side of the road clogs up traffic (though I really only notice this when I'm in a taxi, as I don't own a car or have much need to drive living in Tokyo), but is it really a huge issue at the end of the day?

Personally, I much prefer how Japanese cities are laid out, being completely walkable and very pedestrian-friendly instead of, say, all the places in U.S. that don't even have sidewalks and are basically impossible to navigate in anything but a car.

Yes, it's dreadful. Even among American cities, Houston is always cited as a particularly terrible example.

The worst part is (as you can see elsewhere in the video) American cities weren't always this way. A lot of them had compact, walkable city centers at one point in history that were eventually razed to create these sprawling, car-centric, nightmares of urban planning.

And the U.S. is notorious for having a large population of drivers with despicable, near criminal disregard for (or even utter hostility toward) cyclists. "Rolling coal" should totally not be a thing, but it is, apparently (thankfully, this absolute jerk and criminal was actually charged with a felony, which all too often doesn't happen).

The reason why Japan has few road parking lots.
It is necessary to get garage proof from the police to purchase a car.
A garage is in the home, or the lease parking lot is less than 2km by a straight line from the place of residence.
The fine that I am less than 200,000 yen in the storage area proof application of the falsehood.
The fine that I am less than penal servitude less than three months or 200,000 yen in the use of the road of substitute for garage and three points of violation scores.

Parking on the street causes traffic jams and traffic accidents and obstructs the passage of emergency vehicles.
A road was congested by the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, and an emergency vehicle was not able to go.
Though on-the-street parking is not the cause of the traffic jam, the earthquake disaster must make the space that I leave a car on the left side, and an emergency vehicle can go along. So it is always necessary to secure space on a road.
In Japan, we always need to be prepared for disasters.
We must cooperate.

The reason why Japan has few road parking lots.
It is necessary to get garage proof from the police to purchase a car.
A garage is in the home, or the lease parking lot is less than 2km by a straight line from the place of residence.
The fine that I am less than 200,000 yen in the storage area proof application of the falsehood.
The fine that I am less than penal servitude less than three months or 200,000 yen in the use of the road of substitute for garage and three points of violation scores.

Parking on the street causes traffic jams and traffic accidents and obstructs the passage of emergency vehicles.
A road was congested by the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, and an emergency vehicle was not able to go.
Though on-the-street parking is not the cause of the traffic jam, the earthquake disaster must make the space that I leave a car on the left side, and an emergency vehicle can go along. So it is always necessary to secure space on a road.
In Japan, we always need to be prepared for disasters.
We must cooperate.

People are parking on the roads already- road parking lots reduce congestion because they are inset in the footpath.

Monthly parking lot search in Omiya Ward, Saitama City.

Times 1-day flat-rate parking

Back
Top Bottom