What's new

Why are there TV commercial? Advertisements?

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
I posted this on the general discussiion of the physics forums I go to, and people thought it was a stupid question. Anyway, why are there TV commercials on TV? I always wanted to know. Why are there advertisements at all? I know its to promote their products, but what regulates TV commercials on TV? Why do they need to advertise on TV? Why dont they make TV with no commercials?

Thank you

Er....
TV companies are just normal companies that need money to survive. People don't pay money to watch telly, but some companies promote their products on TV and pay the TV company to do it. There are adverts because the TV company needs the income.
In Britain there's a different approach. The BBC doesn't have adverts, but charges TV owners 120 pounds a year for its income. Sucks a bit, but they're a government organisation, so get away with it.

The answers are so obvious.

Why are there TV commercials on TV? Why do they need to advertise on TV? => Because millions of people watch it, so it's an efficient way of making one product known to the public.

Why are there advertisements at all? => How would companies make their products known ?

Why dont they make TV with no commercials? => Many countries have major channels without commercials (e.g. in Britain, Belgium Finland, Japan...)

Are you saying you don't like advertising GoldCoin? If so, I would have to agree with you. Adverts are about brainwashing people into buying things they can live without. I don't think there is anywhere near enough regulation about what can be advertised. I don't think they should be allowed to advertise loans - I think this used to be illegal in the UK. I get really annoyed at those credit adverts - especially when they say "pay off your debts and have enough left over to buy whatever you want". Loans should be a last resort for people who desperately need the money for something essential like a house or car, not a way of buying something you don't need and can't afford.

Tsuyoiko said:
I don't think there is anywhere near enough regulation about what can be advertised. I don't think they should be allowed to advertise loans...

Such laws realy depend on the country. EU countries tend to have stricter laws, but gaps between each country are still huge. In France it's been over 10 years that ads for tobacco have been prohibited (so the F1 cars have to display the name of the team instead of the name of their main sponsor, as it's usually a tobacco company). In Belgium (and many EU countries I think), not only are ads for loans (like Aiful, Promise, Yen Shop, etc. in Japan) prohibited, but lending companies that lend over the official interest rate are strictly prohibited. However, nudity in ads is not as taboo as in Japan. In China, it is prohibited to show TV ads for tampons during meal times (!) All a matter of cultural sensitivities !

Maciamo said:
Such laws realy depend on the country. EU countries tend to have stricter laws, but gaps between each country are still huge. In France it's been over 10 years that ads for tobacco have been prohibited (so the F1 cars have to display the name of the team instead of the name of their main sponsor, as it's usually a tobacco company). In Belgium (and many EU countries I think), not only are ads for loans (like Aiful, Promise, Yen Shop, etc. in Japan) prohibited, but lending companies that lend over the official interest rate are strictly prohibited. However, nudity in ads is not as taboo as in Japan. In China, it is prohibited to show TV ads for tampons during meal times (!) All a matter of cultural sensitivities !

Ho! Ho! Ho!

My wife and I both commented that we didn't think China would be so sensitive!

... but we both tend to agree with Beijing!

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

Ads just aren't on television, ads are everywhere as you well know. They're on billboards, newspapers, magazines, and other places. What gets me is there seems to be more ads in magazines than articles. I never understood that, they make up about 60% of magazines. When people watch television, we're seeing about 60 something (or more) ads a day. Also another reason why there are so many ads on network television is because the network can't make any money without showing ads.

thank you ma cherie and others. It may seem obvious to you Macimao, but its not to me, at least it wasn't. I see now they must use ads for the network to go on. thank you

The main reason there are so many ads on tellevision is simply money. Advertisers need to make their products known, thereby increasing sales, and broadcasters make a tremendous amount of money from ad revenues. It's all about the money

xerxes99 said:
The main reason there are so many ads on tellevision is simply money. Advertisers need to make their products known, thereby increasing sales, and broadcasters make a tremendous amount of money from ad revenues. It's all about the money

What can one add?

Agreed.... but it's not just the advertisers ... how else can a TV station (Newspaper/Magazine/Radio Station) exist?

Money ... don't leave home without it !

(Without it - you'd have no TV! :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom