What's new

Who knows?

I'd also be interested in a translation of "moshi kashite." The English is usually rendered as something weird like "does doing" or "(perhaps/or) carrying out."

Konnichiwa Mauricio-san!

"-moshi ka shite" and "-moshi ka shitara".
"moshi" express an assumption and means "if". "shite" is "suru" and means "do".
"-moshi ka shite" means perhaps, if, maybe, by any chance and etc...
And there are some declension of the ending, "-moshi ka shitara" and "-moshi ka suruto". Those difference express a difference of tense originally. "shite(shiteiru)" means the present tense. "shita" means the past tense. "suru" means the progressive form. But this tense is meaningless. Because the ending words don't means tense now.

An instance
Moshi ka suruto, Ashita ha Ame kamo shirenai.
Moshi ka shitara, Ashita ha Ame kamo shirenai.
Moshi ka shite, Ashita ha Ame kamo.
Those sentence means "Perhaps it'll rain tomorrow".

"naru hodo".
"naru hodo" means "I see", "sure", "It is true that...", "amply" and "asツ…as possible".

NANGI

Originally posted by Mauricio
I want to know the meaning of this word:
-moshi kashite
-moshi kashitara
-naru hodo.

The first two are ones I picked up and use frequently but never learned formally (and probably don't use correctly). I believe they are more or less equivalent and mean "perhaps". However the second one I use more when talking about possibilities.

Like "moshikashite kanojo ga suki na no?"
has the feeling that I've already come to some conclusion like "you like her, don't you?" Or "moushikashite ashita ikanai ka mo shiremasen" --> "I might not go tomorrow."
"ima omoeba moshikashitara sou datta ka mo [shiremasen]" --> "Now that I think about it, that was probably the case."
"moushikashitara chigau kamoshiremasen ga musashimaru ha yuusho suru ki ni shimasu" --> "Probably I'm wrong but I have a feeling that Musashimaru will win."
Now that I think about it, both of them seem pretty much redundant and seem to serve primarily as a mechanism to add extra vagueness or uncertainty to a phrase.
"naru hodo" I understand to mean something like "I see". You might use it when somebody tells you something that you didn't know. Typical responses in such a situation are "naru hodo" (I see), "hontou?" (really?), "sou desu ka?" (really?), "uso!" (you're a filthy stinking liar), etc.

moshikashite kanojo ga suki na no?"
why are u using na no? what does na no means? and i heard some japs(wish not offending anyone) saying koko ni wa...i'm so confuse with the usage of jap grammer!complicated

If you don't want to offend anyone than please stop using the abbreviation "jap". It sounds very harsh to my ears and I'm not even from Jpn.

This "no" is used to indicate an explanation or a question requiring an explanation. The "na" takes the part of the copula "da" or "desu."

oishii no? --> Does it taste good?
genki ja nai no? --> Don't [you] feel well?
densha de iku no --> [I'll] go by train.
inu ha nan-ken na no? --> What kind of dog is that?
dachshund na no --> It's a dachshund.

In some cases & inflexions, this 'no' can be somewhat feminine.

"ni wa" serves to emphasize the time/place you are talking about. There's no direct way to translate it into English but the difference is something like:
koko ha ii tokoro desu ne. --> this is a nice place.koko ni ha ii tokoro desu ne. --> as for here, it's a nice place.
The latter one sort of indicates that before the speaker said this the conversation was about other places and the "ni ha" serves to contrast it with those mentioned prior to this.

thankx anywayz...and sorry for the jap thing, i don't mean to, i just use it too often since ja-pa-ne-se is quite a long word. And before i used it, i ask who ever i'm saying to coz i know someone will really care bout that. ^o^'

Back
Top Bottom