What's new

When you accidently bump against one member of Yakuza.

Minxie said:
but are there any tell-tale ways of spotting them, or do I still have to look for the missing finger?
I have to say yes. Not in every situation or anything like that but you can expect a suntan, expensive clothes, big muscles, a white Mercedes, and they frequent restaurants that are open only when there are no customers and closed when there are. Oh. I just described the Yakuza near my place. I live pretty close to Yokohama station and often on my way home I pass this Yakuza hangout. They are rarely outside but when they are they pay me no mind. Except one time when there were more than usual hanging around outside but then it was just a close inspection. I made eye contact with the boss (I call him that because he has that air about him) and my heart skipped a beat but then he looked away.

Actually if you see a large group of mafia together you will recognise them from their bad hairstyles and distinctive fashion sense and of course the abundance of white mercedes and some other large white toyota. How do I know this? I was confronted with this scene that looked like a cheesy 70's gangster movie when I left work one day. There were about 150 of the guys having a meeting in the Kanagawa Prefectural Offices for some reason. Of course there were a few busloads of police there too and strangely it wasnt mentioned in the papers the next day. God I was curious.

lexico said:
I think you mean to say the oil businesses are not owned by the Mafia. I meant to say that there might be a mob that owns the oil businesses, perhaps not by the name of Mafia.

Sorta... but not quite. What I meant was that the kind of heavies that come round to peoples houses threatening them on behalf of oil companies are most likely different from Mafia. My point was that if an oil company wants to send thugs round to local communities dressed as law enforcement officers, they're no more likely to be able to 'hire' the Mafia, than anyone else. The mafioso would only be involved if they had some kind of vested interest. I was also talking specifically about the US, and not the Japanese yakuza.

lexico said:
I am sorry if I was not clear, but I really meant it when I said, "out of fearful respect." Some people really hate creating a new thread on the same topic of an old thread. But I gather from your somewhat perplexed response that you do not mind :?

I don't mind in the least. In fact, I would rather see a new thread started than a long-dead thread dragged from the grave and revived. Mostly because many (most?) of the people who participated in it before have left and comments/questions to them will go unanswered.

I don't even mind it when people ask something that has already been asked (and answered) countless times in the past. I'm not one of those people who scolds them to use the search feature.

Can we get a moratorium on resurecting these threads from 3 years ago, especially when the last remaining posts within them concern the idea of -not- bumping them any more.

Hmmm, I dunno - I'm curious now about the fearsome techniques of the housewives in Korea.

"Can we get a moratorium on resurecting these threads from 3 years ago, especially when the last remaining posts within them concern the idea of -not- bumping them any more."

link

Oh god... Not yet another "How would you kick a Yakuza's *** cause your a big tough guy!" thread...

budd said:
"Can we get a moratorium on resurecting these threads from 3 years ago, especially when the last remaining posts within them concern the idea of -not- bumping them any more."
link

Is there any chance whatsoever that one day you might break down and actually learn how to make use of the quote tags like everybody else here does?

Or do you take some particular perverse pride in constantly displaying your ignorance?

Emoni said:
Oh god... Not yet another "How would you kick a Yakuza's *** cause your a big tough guy!" thread...
beat me with a stick if im wrong but this is one of the original Yakuza threads, dont think it was intended for laughter purpose though.

Emoni said:
That's called an "Internet Tough Guy"... and it works for people like Osama bin Laden too (what would YOU do to Osama!???)... etc etc...

jack2 said:
beat me with a stick if im wrong but this is one of the original Yakuza threads, dont think it was intended for laughter purpose though.

Yup, you're right this is the old old thread. Didn't think this got resurected from decades ago. I just have a thing against threads that start, and go the direction this one did.

"Or do you take some particular perverse pride in constantly displaying your ignorance?"

right back at

budd said:
"Or do you take some particular perverse pride in constantly displaying your ignorance?"
right back at
Thats a brilliant phrase i gotta use that one.

Revenant said:
As I've read anyways, the actual Yakuza are no longer getting tattoos, wearing clothes that identify them as Yakuza, or bullying people as described. Some of them frequent posh restaurants, can speak a couple other languages, and are interested in higher learning.

ah the old hollywood version of the "nice" mafia guy ... no no hes not bad he speaks two languages and he buys cake for his grandmother on wednesdays...... who gives a flying pigs sh#t!! hes mafia!! mafia is mafia. so he can say "kill him" in two languages ohh very nice sooo useful for society. when are people going to get over the ridiculous notion that mafia are smart and intelligent. of course there are some that are smart but maybe one in every 2000000. there are also people who smoke 50 packets of cigarettes a day and dont die of lung cancer. they are the exception NOT the norm.

As ive read yes there are yakuza who do speak other languages etc and like flower arrangement and tea ceremony but the other 99.9999999% of them are brainless deadbeat lower than room temperature IQ morons who think that they own the whole world and dont have to respect anyone or anything else. the yak. in sapporo run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, throw garbage into the ocean and pretty much everywhere else, piss in public areas, grab girls butts in the streets, hassle high school girls and old ladies, beat up people on saturday night for fun and park in the middle of the street or anywhere else they feel like. there are a few of them living in my building who like to play really crap music at full volume at 4 am, spit and smoke in the elevator, let their dog (which they shouldnt have in this building anyway) crap in the middle of the entrance hall (no im not joking dog crap right in the middle of the doorway!) and not clean it up. i wonder how many of these guys can speak 2 languages and recite shakespear?? ahhhhhhhh NONE!! if he speaks two languages its because hes a criminal piece of sh#t in two countries. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF!

some yak guy buys someone a new bike???... because he didnt buy it! he took it without asking or got money from selling drugs and beating up hostesses that he doesnt pay tax on! so now hes mr great fun loving nice guy because he buys someone a bike with stolen, illegal cash??!! oh great wait till i take him home and introduce him to mum!!
stop glorifying these low level dimwitts and say what they really are .. CRIMINALS!

right thats my 2 cents.... sorry i hate these people they constantly make life a hassle and they do not make the world a better place. DUMB PEOPLE BECOME MAFIA THATS WHY THEY ARE MAFIA!

You want to see a well behaved Yakuza? Visit any matsuri and go get yourself some takoyaki at a food stand!.... One thing, and I don't know exactly if I'ts the right wording but the United States seems to have a 'love affair', with anything mob related (Soppranos, anyone?)...

Our love affair (when i say Our, I mean, my country of origin), extends to such things as "American Yakuza", our longing to be the American (ninja) or LAST SAMURAI if you will....

I don't know how it works for everyone in Japan, but the majority of the people I know despise the Yakuza as murders, rapists, generally bad people... there may be different affinities for people of different working classes, but I cant say.

Yakuza, like katana, etc etc, sometimes seem to be one of those things that westerners latch onto for the 'cool' factor... I'm confused by the former, and quite frankly bored to death of hearing about the latter.

If the yakuza are anything like the common as scum muck thugs going about my country, their only tough aslong as they out-number you.

One alone, against a group of me and my mates, he'll piss off, at least until he gets re-enforcements.

nurizeko said:
If the yakuza are anything like the common as scum muck thugs going about my country, their only tough aslong as they out-number you.
One alone, against a group of me and my mates, he'll piss off, at least until he gets re-enforcements.

That sound very much like the thugs in my country as well.

Tell them your an English teacher, then they will be at your Mercy (it worked for me .... seriously)

Just found a nice article about the yakuza, here are some parts of it.

"Y" is for yakuza -- you got a problem with that?

"The New Yakuza Unabridged Dictionary" reads the headline in Shukan Taishu (May 22). This title, somehow, does not sound like the sort of desktop reference book that Noah Webster -- or Oxford University for that matter -- would have compiled. And it's not. Rather, it's a six-page long article, which is about as much space as Shukan Taishu is likely to allocate for any given topic.

For entries under the letter "S," we might find "Shutsujo demukae," which refers to the custom of greeting a gang member outside the prison upon his release at the end of his sentence. Times, it seems, have changed. In the old days, Shukan Taishu notes, after a high-ranking member served his time, it was not unusual for a contingent of a thousand or more -- even as high as 5,000 for a top-ranked gang leader -- to congregate outside the prison gates and "greet" their colleague upon his release.

Finally under "I," we find the word IT, which means the same thing in Japanese that it does in English: Information Technology. It seems that gangs are finding that the way to win battles is to acquire accurate intelligence in terms of their rivals' potential, and to do that, computers can give them the necessary edge.

Read Here to read the whole article

Why... why... why keep resurecting a 3 year old thread? Especially one like this?

shao said:
when you accidently bump against one member of Yakuza. they surround you and decide to bully you. what will you do?

Dutch Baka said:
scream.. SUSHIIII..
Kick there balls..
tell them they can F&&k off..
call the cops..
act like a fool and stare at them..
show them your gun..
talk kansai ben to look cool .. Nandeyanen..
cry..​

Back
Top Bottom