What's new

What is your religion?

What is your religion

• Total voters

Nichiren

先輩
21 Feb 2008
Among the world religions today, what attracted you most and why do u believe/practise it?
I personally feel, In Buddhism allows the spirit of allowing and encouraging seekers to freely doubt, question or even explore the teachings of the founder of the religion, is certainly unique amongst the world religions. Among all religions in the world, only Buddhism's founder and its scriptures are permitted to be doubted, discussed and explored and questioned. Buddhism welcome people with research spirit, independent character, and wisdom to study Buddhist teachings.
Buddhism invites anyone to come and see for himself and permits him to accept only those facts, which agree with reason, logic and truth. It encourages the seeker of a new way to discard hearsay, blind faith, miracles and magic. Principles of Buddhism invite criticism and testing. I find Buddhism, therefore, a most appealing and most compelling factor that leads the modern minds in the world today.
I practise and believe in Buddhism because it fits my my free spirit and rational mind, of its profound philosophy of human dignity, freedom(with personal responsibility) and democracy.
I like to hear people from others why they believe or practise faith?

Last edited by a moderator:
I practise and believe in Buddhism because it fits my my free spirit and rational mind, of its profound philosophy of human dignity, freedom(with personal responsibility) and democracy.

you said like some love a teacher and other teacher , and all this teachers have one BOSS ...

I don't. All religions are a collection of biased history, magic stories and baseless assertions when it comes to gods and spirits, including Buddhism.
All hail the FSM:D

Personally I'm atheist, but I can sympathize on what you say. I think it's not fair to compare Christianity and Islam, that are from the same "branch" so they surged in very concrete circumstances, and Oriental religions and philosophies that due to the pure geographic separation have followed very different paths.

If you study the historical frame or even the dogmatic basis of these religions you have cited, there is an obvious field that doesn't allow you to compare Christianism, Islam or the Grecoroman pantheon to Buddhism, Taoism or Confucianism. I've usually heard from religious scholars to even question the term "religion" to some oriental beliefs and name them "philosophies".

To speak about me, I can say I feel very far from any religion structure, but I can simpathize a lot more with Buddhism or Taoism than the Catholic Church, because I do not see them as intrusive religions but like an inner teach of personal values. After all, religion is nothing more than another manifestation of cultural identification, like Nationalism is after the French Revolution or Feudalism was in the Middle Ages. What I find specially fascinating is the fact that there's people who can follow more than one religion, like Confucians and Taoist in China, or correct me if I'm wrong please, Sintoism, the indigenous animistic Japanese religion and Buddhism. In Europe and the Western world, you cannot be Catholic and Sunni, or Protestant and Jewish, because the identification and obstruction of oneself that the structures of these religions have always had do not simply allow any kind of dissidence. I'm not surprised that in nowadays liberal western societies western religions do not triumph, simply because they require a level of intrusion that liberalism does not permit. On the contrary, in areas of the world with more oppressive regimes, those religions fit and expand, like Islam or Christianism not many centuries ago. This is an obvious difference with Oriental ones, who I coincide with you that allow a lot more room for personal freedom. I may be wrong in my assumptions, but that's how I see it.

Anyway, the most important thing if you are either a believer or not should be respect for everyone else's thoughts while they respect yours.

What is your religion

Because of the mess the other thread on what is your religion and why? I have locked that and created this one as a poll.
The idea of this thread is ONLY to post your religion and why your subscribe to it. It is not a thread for saying why yours should be the correct one, or for discussing scripture and how true it is. It is not for flaming or insulting others beliefs. It is not for proselytizing, preaching or trying to convert anyone. Anyone doing so will have their post deleted and infraction points given. If they continue further action will be taken.

The Poll consists of:
1. Christianity: All denominations/sects except for Mormonism. Although they do use the bible they also have their own extra scripture which I feel makes it different enough to have its own chioce.
2. Islam
3. Judaism
4. Hinduism
5. Buddhism
6. Baha'i
7. Shinto
8. Sikhism
9. Confucianism
10. Taoism
11. Jainism
12. Pagan and neo-pagan beliefs (Wicca, Asatru, Druidism, etc.)
13. Deism
14. Mormonism
15. Other. Such as Scientology, Vodun, Satanism
16. Humanism. Does mean only atheists, as the link explains.
17. Agnostic. Not so much a belief system.
18. Atheism. Yes, I know it isn't a belief system or a religion, but t needs to be included.
19. Undecided. There maybe many members that are thinking about religion and whether to follow another path to that of their parents or peers.
20. Do not care. For those who go through life without giving it much thought.

There are links to each religion that gives a brief outline of each one plus links that can take you to look more indepth. You will notice they are from all one site. I find it a good, balanced site unlike others that are out there.

You will notice that I have not seperated each religion into its other sects as doing this would create a poll many hundreds of times longer than the one allowed. So if you choose Islam you may put down Sunni, Shia, Sufi, etc. The same goes for Buddhism, Christianity (and they are quite a few for this one alone) etc.

If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of each religion then go and create a thread on it, but again preaching, vast copy and pastes of scripture, trying to convert, normal BS that it seems to attract will be dealt with.

I voted for deism. I tend to believe in a creator God, but can't really believe that any religion understands his mind or motives. Apparently, it (meaning God; if God has gender, then there must be at least one other god with opposite gender, or gender wouldn't make any sense) is content to sit back and let us bumble around and do whatever we wish to each other.

I was raised Christian, and still have leanings in that direction. But there are too many ambiguities, inconsistencies, and nonsense in Christian doctrine for my rational mind to accept it. That's also true of every other faith I've heard of.

Thanks Mycernius,This thread is better.

Agreed. I was (almost) losing some hair over the insanity of the other thread.

Very good poll set up, especially with the links you added for extra information on each. I would say that Catholicism should be a separate choice from just "Christianity" as it is white different from basic Christian church practices of, let's say, a western baptist church.

Lol,i have been here for 3 to 4 years and i have not seen JFER turned into religious chao like this :D

Lol,i have been here for 3 to 4 years and i have not seen JFER turned into religious chao like this :D

I've been here for what... 7 years now? (Holy #$%# that scares me... I remember joining like it was last year) and it does happen from time to time. However, it does seem to be a bit strong recently. Eb and flow I guess...

Thanks for starting this thread Mycernius. You put in a lot of hard work setting up all the links. 👍

Agreed. I was (almost) losing some hair over the insanity of the other thread.

Very good poll set up, especially with the links you added for extra information on each. I would say that Catholicism should be a separate choice from just "Christianity" as it is white different from basic Christian church practices of, let's say, a western baptist church.
As I said seperating all the different christian denominations alone would be a huge poll. The basics of christinaity are the same, just the practices differ and some of the beliefs. Look at Anglican high church and you'd swear that it was catholic with just a bit of tweaking.

i thing you should not close my discussion and give me infraction and preferably to do that with who say bad word's about religion there's no good reason to close him this is not right
but i agree with the new discussion
and thanxs Mycernius for this new discussion

i thing you should not close my discussion and give me infraction and preferably to do that with who say bad word's about religion there's no good reason to close him this is not right

That wasn't a discussion, it was an orgy of proselytizing mindless insanity on a mythological scale which is why I didn't even bother touching it anymore and stopped posting on that mess. You should be lucky you are even ALLOWED on the forum still after that crap. This is the thread you "claimed" you originally created, so sit back, and observe and learn instead of spouting off about moon breaking in half, dirt, big boats myths, and raping logic over a barrel like a pig. I don't mind discussion on any subject, but it has to be a discussion, and that deceptive sham of a thread was simply a shame to the entire human race to declare it a "discussion."

... ok maybe a bit too much hyperbole, but it felt good to let that out. :D

That's all I'll say, since I don't want a legitimate thread like this to go down the wrong path by bringing your previous behavior into this, but I'm gonna state my opinion firmly in hopes of showing support for that thread being locked and revulsion towards that sort of crap in general.

Donkey what? Whatever... I don't know what you're talking about, and I honestly don't care. If you want to ramble on to someone endlessly about that junk, go somewhere else and find someone else to bother, I wasted far too much time on you anyway. We all have.

Mycernius might have been nice enough not to ban you, but I'm not so forgiving and have no desire to talk to someone like you. I'll be "nice" (for the sake of not derailing this thread, not for your sake) and leave it at that.

Nothing more to say.

"emoni you'r not in a position of donkeys to tallk like that
Please, Show some morality
we are not in war" - Mohamed

"Donkey what? Whatever... I don't know what you're talking about, and I honestly don't care. If you want to ramble on to someone endlessly about that junk, go somewhere else and find someone else to bother, I wasted far too much time on you anyway. We all have." - Emoni

Let's leave aside the question of why the latter poster undertakes to lecture others about civility, when it's obviously such a difficult talent for him to master himself. To me, the donkey reference seems obviously some local or cultural expression that doesn't translate literally into English.

I share Mohamed's confusion. What did he do wrong? Did I do something wrong too? I'm newer here than some, so perhaps I just haven't figured out the rules. Granted, the discussion didn't seem to be going anywhere, but that was because the two sides of the debate were mounting arguments out of very different cultural and belief systems.

I didn't see Mohamed or Hezam say that we were going to hell because we don't believe the moon split it two. The discussion wasn't making any progress in terms of one side convincing the other, but that's the way a lot of these discussions go -- nobody wins, nobody loses. We can learn just from engaging in the discussion.

Let's leave aside the question of why the latter poster undertakes to lecture others about civility, when it's obviously such a difficult talent for him to master himself. To me, the donkey reference seems obviously some local or cultural expression that doesn't translate literally into English.

Yeah, cause I'm sure the donkey comment had a "nice" meaning. :D

Seriously Roland, don't get pissy and start going after my posts on other threads just caused I called you out on your attack on 20 year old going to college for staying with his parents. That just adds more lameness.

I share Mohamed's confusion. What did he do wrong? Did I do something wrong too? I'm newer here than some, so perhaps I just haven't figured out the rules. Granted, the discussion didn't seem to be going anywhere, but that was because the two sides of the debate were mounting arguments out of very different cultural and belief systems.

Reread the thread, it wasn't even a discussion. It was borderline trolling mixed with proselytizing. We've had plenty of discussion threads about religion before, sot to imply that somehow they were shut down for dubious reasons is bull crap. Bringing that crap into this thread is ludicrous. If you are going to have a discussion, first no matter what, you must be able to accept your beliefs and arguments will be attacked. If you are just going to spout off about myths like they are actual scientific fact (which is bull crap too) and tell how your religion is right based on absurd statements and ignore anything to the contrary, then this falls in proselytizing. Plus, look at his English on his posts. He wasn't even writing that stuff, it was just copy and pasting pseudo-science propaganda from religious sites!

Again, reread the thread, and choose your battles a bit better Roland. If you want to attack me for something, fine, go right ahead... but jez, pick better ground to stand on!

Emoni,the weird thing in you is your Confrontational way when you discuss or speak to someone who you disagree with or even with who you agreed with,Seriously why don't you try to be polite alittle bit ? I don't mean to offend but i noticed that several times !!

Emoni,the weird thing in you is your Confrontational way when you discuss or speak to someone who you disagree with or even with who you agreed with,Seriously why don't you try to be polite alittle bit ? I don't mean to offend but i noticed that several times !!

Oh, I have plenty more weird things than just being confrontational when I attack someone's argument, and I take vicious uber-donkey pride in all of them.

I tried being nice one day, saying, "Hey, I know your argument is dumb as hell, but let me just hug you instead," but instead I vomited on myself when I looked in the mirror after I did that.

Seriously, I'm hardly the only one who will attack people's arguments and toss in a bit of jabs in to the mix. I'm not sure why you're focusing on me, but I'm guessing it's mostly cause Roland got the ball rolling in honor of momo's insanity being contained.

Simply put, if someone says something I don't quite agree with, I'll point it out and attack the argument casually; however, if someone posts something to the degree that humanity should be ashamed it is even associated with, and which the mere existence of such causes a black hole of stupidity... I'm going to grab my nail sharpener and start shredding.

Why? Because I cherish education, science, and logical thought. I've been around places in the world and seen the shear damage that ignorance can cause. I've taught as a teacher in the US, I'm pretty much a professional students (I guess technically I am actually lol), and because I absolutely must be careful to follow logical research methods for my own research I will notice the void of stupidity, logic being raped, or insanity being treated as healthy when I see it even more so. I'm an academic, and I argue the same way in "real life" as well; however, because I don't deal with donkey crap molded into human form at my university (metaphorically speaking of course!), when I do run into it, I'm very harsh. Often I'll use humor and satire to make a point, but this is usually only interpreted as mocking by the other party as they usually cannot understand the rather basic point I'm making anyway. Humor and satire are amazing tools for weeding out the ignorant.

I hope to be a professor after finishing my PhD, and with this comes responsibility for advancing education. For those who come seeking to learn, I will be polite and kind, and clear up misunderstanding to the best of my understanding as I hardly know everything myself; however, those seeking limit, destroy, hamper, and generally #$%@ up education for the sake of power, personal gain, or creating fear to control, I'm going to tear them apart and will kick their @$$.

Heck, even you Hezam, on the first thing you posted here, said this thread was better.

Anyway, even though I'm ignoring that little vacuum thought, mohammed, I feel that this is just getting a thread that Mycernius put a ton of effort into fleshing out somewhat off track, so I'll end in stating that because of my focus for education, logical thought and process with research, this is likely why I am an atheist.

There, 180 degree flip around back to the main subject!

You know... reading back over this I almost sound a bit arrogant... Nahhhhhhh! :D

Lol,You are not different than the Extremist religious people who get mad when you tell them something they disagree.
I can say that you are an Extremist Athiest.
You don't have to get mad when you are sure what you say is right,Insulting and attacking And also mocking the others' point is considered a weakness and pointless.

For example,I have not seen Mycernius insulting or mocking any post like you did,he discuss things calmly and when he find it endless he end it politely in the right way.
most threads continue until you and someone i know drive your trucks into it :D
after that a plane fly over and crashed,Train Deviated from the track,Even Donkey shown up :D

Do we have any Shintoists on here? We have a friend in Tokyo whose husband belongs to a strict sect of Shintoism. Our friend would never agree to join, to the unending disapproval of her mother-in-law. I forget the name of the sect. Maybe I can find it.

It would be interesting to talk to a real, live Shinto believer. Must be a whole different way of perceiving the world.

Back
Top Bottom