What's new

Help What is the name of this 'street art' done in Tokyo between Oct-Nov 1945?

brad carlson

Registered
19 Aug 2018
img_4795 (2).jpg
img_4793 (2).jpg

My father's unit was stationed in the Tokyo area in Oct-Nov 1945. Does anyone know what this street art would be called in Japanese and English. It was a portrait done of my father on Washi paper. Can you tell if it was done in colored charcoal, colored pencil or ?? Is there any significance to the artists stamp in the lower left side of the item? What it states in Japanese for example?
Thank You, BC

Also the art piece was wrapped in this paper. Imprinted on the paper in red is Saikaya. Anyone know what that means?

Attachments

• img_4798 (2).jpg
    img_4798 (2).jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 210
Does anyone know what this street art would be called in Japanese and English.
It's called 似顔絵 nigaoe.

Can you tell if it was done in colored charcoal, colored pencil or ??
I can't judge.

Is there any significance to the artists stamp in the lower left side of the item? What it states in Japanese for example?
It's the artist's name "Haru". The signature also shows the same name (in different kanji).

Also the art piece was wrapped in this paper. Imprinted on the paper in red is Saikaya. Anyone know what that means?
It's the name of a department store in Kanagawa prefecture.
さいか屋 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

The top left part says "Portrait of Mr. Carlson" (カールソン氏像)

This is a great keepsake for you. Do you have any photos of him in Japan?

Thank you MD for the reply. I do not have any photos of him in Japan that I know of. There are some photos of him and his ship mates and sometimes I can not discern where in the world they were. There are many photos of him on board their ship when out in the open ocean. Thank you for your comment! BC

Back
Top Bottom