What's new

What is currently considered cool or trendy in Japan right now?

Lately i've seen lots of women sporting miniature dogs with them wherever they go (even in the heart of the city and when shopping). They dress them up in ridiculous outfits and carry them around like an accessory trying to elicit as many "可愛い" as they can. I've even seen matching outfits (both owner and pet). I pity the dogs...

That is influenced by people like Paris Hilton and other American celebrities. It's not a Japanese trend. Paris Hilton has one of the craziest Japanese followings I've ever seen (on tv, more than once).

Josh

what is cool and trendy in japan, maybe what is cool and trendy in the united states 'coz they love american fashion...except for the hairstyle, i guess... :)

I would say that the Nintendo DS is pretty trendy with women 25-45 right now. A lot of my wife's friends are always on these now...more than their cell phone.

That is influenced by people like Paris Hilton and other American celebrities. It's not a Japanese trend. Paris Hilton has one of the craziest Japan followings I've ever seen (on tv, more than once).
Josh

It hurts me when you post...

Anyway,
PSP seem hot in Japan, as do a lot of current Keitai (Cell phone's).

Edit--

I have a DS : / haha

The DS definitely made a bigger splash in Japan then the PSP did, and not surprisingly, the XBOX 360 fell way behind in sales as well. At Christmas time, when there was projected shortages for 360 everywhere in the United States, it was easy to obtain one in Japan...

The PSP does get more coverage in magazines like Popeye, the DS--- not as much, but the DS is more popular alltogether.

I would say that the Nintendo DS is pretty trendy with women 25-45 right now. A lot of my wife's friends are always on these now...more than their cell phone.

Hahaha I bought my girlfriend one about 2 months back. They have some really interesting games in Japan for the DS. Eigo Zuke being one of them and now they have the Opera Browser. Stupid america.

Gothic Lolita isn't big at all. Even if you go to Harajuku on a Sunday afternoon, normal people still outnumber "harajuku styled" people... That's why they stand out, because they are all small subcultures. If that was normal, it wouldn't get so much attention.
(This coming from someone in the Gothic Lolita "scene")
Edit: I think, for girls anyways, the most "in" fashion is the same as everywhere. Kind of a mixture of casual, sexy, but maybe leaning a little more on the cute side. They seem to really like layers as well. =)

I know this is a really old post but I just read it so..

Anyway, does that mean if I were to go to Japan, buy a Lolita costume and wear it out it would be unacceptable to members of the subculture? I mean I'm just wondering because I'd like to and all, but I wouldn't if I'd get bashed or something from not being in their group for real or whatever.
Sorry if that's a stupid question. o_O My common sense is telling me Lolita things are availible to the masses so... 😄

I know this is a really old post but I just read it so...
Ask yourself why you would want to go to a foreign country & haphazardly use a style you've been told died out at least 3 years ago.

Even if there are still some people who practice Gothic Lolita in Japan, what do you hope to achieve? It would be a bit like a Japanese teenager who speaks no English dressing up as a cowboy based on what he had read on the internet, and then going to a US Country Western bar.

It's like mohawks, just because some people still style their hair that way doesn't mean it's a trend... Even if you expand this to say "punk rock", it's not a "trend"... A trend is something that the majority of a certain demographic is doing, usually the status quo, what you're talking about is an antiquated subculture.

There's a dynamic to what and why youth do what they do in Japan, and I don't think it fits very well with outsiders. I'm not saying that people will throw rocks at you for being on rival turf, but, even if you don't get any laughs (and, depending on where you are, you can get these just by walking around in normal clothes), you may have a lot of people thinking "what in the world is that gaijin girl doing!?!??"

You're better off practicing this with people in your own backyard then people in Japan. This subculture has it's own following outside of Japan, and probably more so than in Japan... you'd be better off starting there.

There's a list of links at the end of this wiki article you might check out...

Lolita fashion - Wikipedia

Last edited:
That reminds me of an American friend I have that used to be totally obsessed with Japan. He wanted me to buy him a boy's school uniform so he could come here and walk around in it, because he thought the style was so cool. (He was already 18 or 19 by this time...) I told him there was no way I'd allow him to make such an *** of himself. lol.

Like yukio_michael said, you're better off practicing these things in private or amongst your like-minded friends back home. Really, *I* would blush in embarrassment just by looking at a Western chick walking around in clothes like that here.

curlystraw, don't worry. No bashing if you are cuter than him, a cute maid

Harajuku or Akihabara is a sort of stage. I don't know if you can make friends with guys there, but it is good to have friends with same interests for longer relationship.

Web Across Street Fashion Marketing ACROSS
The site offers you a fixed-point fashion observation, Shibuya, Harajuku, and Shinjuku. It may be an idea to see the offstage.

That reminds me of an American friend I have that used to be totally obsessed with Japan. He wanted me to buy him a boy's school uniform so he could come here and walk around in it, because he thought the style was so cool. (He was already 18 or 19 by this time...)
That just sounds creepy...

curlystraw, don't worry. No bashing if you are cuter than him, a cute maid
Wow, nothing like some good old fashioned nightmare fuel...

Last edited:
Anyway, does that mean if I were to go to Japan, buy a Lolita costume and wear it out it would be unacceptable to members of the subculture? I mean I'm just wondering because I'd like to and all, but I wouldn't if I'd get bashed or something from not being in their group for real or whatever.
Sorry if that's a stupid question. o_O My common sense is telling me Lolita things are availible to the masses so... 😄

Just look at it this way. Would you walk around in everyday life in your own country dressed like a french maid or whatever? Probably not.

It's not that it would be 'unacceptable' but sort of ridiculous and out of context. You can get away with that with some subculture styles...Lolita is NOT one of them. 👍 Hope that helps.

If you really want to wear a doll dress why not? I doubt in Japan anyone would walk up to you and say to take it off....unless you were with a boy.... oh nevermind.

People will think its weird most likely, but if your heart is set on doll dresses, why not.

Just look at it this way. Would you walk around in everyday life in your own country dressed like a french maid or whatever? Probably not.
It's not that it would be 'unacceptable' but sort of ridiculous and out of context. You can get away with that with some subculture styles...Lolita is NOT one of them. 👍 Hope that helps.

This girl would probably not be walking around in her host country as a host maid, as you assure, but she's asking about Japan, most specifically Akiba and Harajuku where some girls really do dress like french maids. This doesn't happen anywhere else but in Japan, or so I undestand, so I don't see what the problem is. I personally don't like anime, those subcultures, or anything like that, but if the girl likes it, well, it's her choice and to each his/her own, right?
I just would like to know how Japanese would react when they a Westerner trying to dress like them in Harajuku, but hey, you could try it.

Mauricio

Well, all she said was 'wear it out' which could mean anything, from going to Harajuku to going shopping. The shopping part might not be so good but you never know, you might get some fans.
And I have seen pix of westerners dressed up in Harajuku, can't say much about the japanese response to that but it happens. To be honest I thought they looked kinda stupid but maybe that's just me. 😌 When I see japanese kids in costume it I don't think much of it but when I see westerners doing it I just want to say 'grow up'. Wonder why. ☝

I don't know how recent a trend this is but the Japanese have a habit of not putting their shoes on properly and wandering around with the heel portions stamped down so that all their leisure shoes (sneakers, soft leather casuals, etc) are more like slip-ons. This has spurned a trend in shoes which is to sell most casual styles with the heels missing. So effectually you have a bunch of expensive leather, snakeskin, etc. shoes that are glorified slippers.

They're popular among the big-haired tanned Shibuya guys, whereas the vintage clothing cats wear normal stamped-down shoes. Just my observation!

Also, hip-bags are very trendy, but not the normal shoulder-slung hip bags, these are more like fanny-packs or waist-packs that resemble chalk dispensers for mountain climbers or a handyman's tool belt. They're kind of low-slung carry-alls usually with many charms or chains hanging off them.

One more trend I noticed while I was over there (again, I don't know how recent it is but it's popularity dictates that its relatively new and still fashionable) is heavy-duty cellphone modification. Aftermarket LED and jewel kits are pretty trendy and go way beyond your traditional hanging charms and nick-nacks.

tbh last winter i noticed really OTT Hip Hop gear was the hot ticket when I was there. Think along the lines of japanese 'Ali G's' for the men and a legion of beyonce clones for the girls. Bronze/blonde wavy hair, big coloured shades etc.

Even saw a small convoy of lowriders on wire wheels full of dressed up b-boys cruising around the streets.

Gotta say though its not just posing and posturing. The whole hip hop culture is pretty big in Japan and Japanese B-Boys and Turntablists are making serious noise internationally even taking global events

I've noticed that a form of "street wear" is popular amongst teen girls as well. Not as OTT as the guys, but still pretty "gangsta".

A lot of girls I've seen go for a very "gangsta" appearance, with skate shoes, baggy shirts than hang off shoulders, and 3-quarter pants.
I always get a laugh when these outfits are worn with the customary "cute" accessories. Like, bright pink Hello Kitty jewellery and hats wor with baggy dark "gangsta" clothes. lol

Is this fashion relatively new or have I not been paying attention to the younger set for a while?

For both sexes, grey 2 piece tracksuit, top pullover, not with zipper, no visible logos/brand names except for the foot ware, Hello Kitty house slippers.

For both sexes, grey 2 piece tracksuit, top pullover, not with zipper, no visible logos/brand names except for the foot ware, Hello Kitty house slippers.

I really hope you're joking about men wearing something girly like Hello Kitty. I know they regard it as cute, but it just isn't right for men to wear that, now a guy having a Louis Vuitton wallet or something is a different store from HK.

Mauricio

Back
Top Bottom