What's new

What is currently considered cool or trendy in Japan right now?

ummmm well as we all know gothic lolita is real big there.....but only on sundays! for those who don't know *gothic lolita* is more a long the lines, or can be compared ummm er....well american goth ro any other goth at that matter.
well japans goth is much more elaborate and they really go out with it. whereas my observations of american goth is slapping some baby powder on your face and smearing fake blood and black lipstick all over. well yeah. if i am wrong somebody let me know.
i base my facts off of opinions so...

retrodisease said:
ummmm well as we all know gothic lolita is real big there

Not really it isn't. Unless you define "real big" in a different way to me. Bizarre fashions might seem more common in Japan because they're photographed more. No one is going to bother photographing people in jeans and t-shirt, so the more bizarre fashions get a disproportionate degree of coverage.

Last edited:
Gothic Lolita isn't big at all. Even if you go to Harajuku on a Sunday afternoon, normal people still outnumber "harajuku styled" people... That's why they stand out, because they are all small subcultures. If that was normal, it wouldn't get so much attention.
(This coming from someone in the Gothic Lolita "scene")

Edit: I think, for girls anyways, the most "in" fashion is the same as everywhere. Kind of a mixture of casual, sexy, but maybe leaning a little more on the cute side. They seem to really like layers as well. =)

nice gaijin said:
Congratulations on your graduation from trolling to flaming. Allow me to take up the torch for a second, but I'm going to be honest. You are despicable. You have no inkling on what's going on outside the bubble of ego and undeserved sense of accomplishment that you've built up around yourself. I suppose you're just taking solipsism to the next narcissistic level, because not only have you convinced yourself that the world doesn't exist beyond the edge of your nose, but that you have some kind of lasting affect on it! You are truly delusional.
You think that you are some kind of original. You're a dime-a-dozen gaijin man-****. You are preceeded and succeeded by many more just like you, without ever knowing that some kid from Oregon did the same thing as them. People like yourself are a black eye for foreigners who go to Japan with legitimate reasons; ultimately nothing more than a nuisance, like a fly to be swatted at and forgotten once it leaves. The mark you leave on Japan will be negligible at best.

That's truly one of the greatest put-downs I've read on any forum in the 16 years I've been using the Internet. I've read it several times during the course of the day just for pleasure.

Stinger said:
That's truly one of the greatest put-downs I've read on any forum in the 16 years I've been using the Internet. I've read it several times during the course of the day just for pleasure.

I did as well. Even though it's needed I doubt, though, it'll make a difference.
*begins to clap*

pika la said:
I did as well. Even though it's needed I doubt, though, it'll make a difference.
*begins to clap*

Yeah, the difference made is the one I make in each one of your yawn-inducing lives. Plus the "Nice Gaijin" always act like they know me, when I go to Tokyo they either all freak out or they try talking to me because all of you need someone like me in your lives, I give you hope, I am like Joshua bringing the israelites over the river Jordan, you will all truely understand my impact on Japan one day, by that time it might be too late to make friends with me and you will all be my enemies which I will designate money and power to knock your white chess pieces off the board.

Where is a Kefka laugh when you need one?

Josh

ghettocities said:
Yeah, the difference made is the one I make in each one of your yawn-inducing lives. Plus the "Nice Gaijin" always act like they know me, when I go to Tokyo they either all freak out or they try talking to me because all of you need someone like me in your lives, I give you hope...

Bore off !
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

retrodisease said:
i base my facts off of opinions so...
It's best to try not to do this. Unfortunately you're in good company because a lot of people have formed their opinions of Japan based on second hand information.

nice gaijin said:
It's also likely that vanilla was written with the English spelling because the lyrics were in romaji, and "vanilla" in English would be more readily understood than "banira."
Yeah, Understood. desu or rather, da is used in another part of the song that I can tell, so thats why I mention it... I just encounter so much roumaji that makes no sense, and the problem is mostly the people writing it don't know if it is correct or not. No offense to the original poster.

now...

from Street Jack

A page from Boon

Wiki on Men's Egg, Men's Knuckle "official" (meant publisher's) site.

Official Cutie magazine site. It's parent company's website with other magazines for girls, is here.

Popeye (get it, 'pop - eye', an eye on pop... Only the Japanese would think this was a clever play on words but...) magazine site.

Choki Choki (choki is scissors, just like in jankenpon)... Haircut style guide magazine website.

Website for magazine, Men's Voi, Website for Men's Non-no...

etcetera...

Stinger said:
Bizarre fashions might seem more common in Japan because they're photographed more. No one is going to bother photographing people in jeans and t-shirt, so the more bizarre fashions get a disproportionate degree of coverage.
I don't think this statement can be emphasized enough.

ghettocities said:
Yeah, the difference made is the one I make in each one of your yawn-inducing lives.
I'm sorry you didn't realize that my fly analogy was mostly referring to your activity here on the boards. My current work is designing a curriculum of abuse awareness for mentally challenged children; we have teachers all around the world backordering the product. You somehow honestly think that you're making a lasting impact on this world by schtupping some ganguro in Shibuya? You're the kind of person my curriculum is designed to protect kids against! What exactly were you hoping to be remembered as again, the hub of a VD network?

Plus the "Nice Gaijin" always act like they know me, when I go to Tokyo they either all freak out or they try talking to me because all of you need someone like me in your lives,
Sorry, I'm going to have to stop this disaster of a run-on sentence right here for some clarification. Was that supposed to be a clever pun on my name? You would be totally lost outside of that little corner of Tokyo that you're so fond of, I can't imagine why anyone would approach you, other than to pound some sense into you. Likely a fruitless endeavor, since you seem untouchable by even the most common of sense.

I give you hope, I am like Joshua bringing the israelites over the river Jordan,
That's two religions you've insulted by your claims of association. So you've built up this little fantasy in your head where you some kind of biblical figure because your parents decided to give you a biblical name? By your 'logic,' both Dutch Baka and I are reincarnations of King David. Perhaps I should point out the spike in popularity of your name exactly around your birth (chart found here); I wonder if there are any other geniuses who have come to the same ridiculous conclusions as yourself. I suggest you go back and actually read the parts of the book of Joshua you keep quoting, in its entirety. Your attempts at tying your pathetic conquest of Japanese women to some linguistic reference to the decimation of a Canaanite city is laughable.

you will all truely understand my impact on Japan one day, by that time it might be too late to make friends with me and you will all be my enemies which I will designate money and power to knock your white chess pieces off the board.
I'd love to know where you expect to amass all this fame and money? I guess the market for used condoms was more lucrative (and less in violation of federal health laws) than I would have guessed. Either that or board companies have taken to sponsoring mediocre skaters. I'm glad that you'll have fame and power to help you beat us at a game of chess, since you are clearly lacking the wit and mental acuity for it.

Where is a Kefka laugh when you need one?
Josh
I had to google that to see if you just misspelled Kafka, which is certainly befitting your view of the world.

I think I've made my point, I don't really care to match wits with someone so ill prepared to defend himself, but too silly to realize it. Your arm's off.

I have difficulty working out if Ghettocities is completely deluded, unbelievably arrogant or just incredibly stupid. Normally I'd pick him as a forum troll, but with the garbage 'merchandise' that he sells (i.e. he uploads a few images to cafepress and suddenly he thinks he's a fashion guru), and the moronic web pages he maintains, he really does seem to believe his own drivel.

I can't think of anyone less qualified to comment on Japan, than an insecure white trash jerkoff who clearly can't get laid at home, and has to travel to another country to get his rocks off. It's almost sad to see someone who thinks they really are cool, and yet has the credability of a Vanilla Ice wannabe.

Stinger said:
Hadn't seen how this thread developed until now! 😌

Yes, I'm enjoying it, too... 😊

I'm not selling used condoms to make money. I'm not skateboarding to be a skateboarder. I don't have the world's greatest Japan website to brag. I wake up everyday and do what my greater forces tell me to do so that the future of all mankind will be saved and as thanks the greater force (what you'd consider God or "aliens" but in reality they are just the evolved us sent back in time, to our time to make select people (I being one of them,) to change the world in a certain way so that the future will be saved,) offers me the greatest life I could personally ask for but only after doing what they tell me to do, what kind of rewards are we talking about?

It was the greater force that made the writers of the movie Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift have a line in it where the yakuza asked the foreigner, "What are you going to race me with, your skateboard?"

I don't know if you noticed but the guy didn't have a skateboard, nor did he look like a skateboarder. This line in this movie was created not by the writers but the greater force that I have been working for, they are your Gods in the sky in their time travel machines which you think are UFOs, do I need to show the photo again? Come on...

Look at it's face, look really good, look at it's face, look really good.
The evolution of us looks a lot friendlier when we aren't cloaked.

And Kefka was from Final Fantasy and his laugh was "Woop woop woop."

Josh

You think that a crappy line from a crappy movie and a grainy photo of what is clearly a Japanese person with long hair and a black coat gawking at the immature white boy fondling the statue at ichi maru kyuu count as evidence of anything other than your own delusion?

I take nothing back, you're already lost in the ether. It is pointless to address you any further. Nothing I could come up with is as damning as the drivel you spew forth onto these boards.

Met this girl I know Mari down iN Roppongi. Took me too this crazy club called Gas-Something. All these Japaese chicks are crazy, man,. You gotta check it out for yourself. They got some thing for Americans or something. I got this one girl's number and we're going to meet in Shibuya tomorrow. Speaks okay English.

Nothing beats this place, man. I gotta move here.
Excerpt from a faux narative from the irrepressible marxy...

Also, guys, you should really look into the ignore function!

I don't post on this board much anymore, a great deal has to do with posters and posts like what I am seeing Ghettocities post. This board has lost a lot of good posters over the years due to just disgust of some of the just garbage posts, as well as some posters who simply do not have the maturity to be here.

I'm glad NiceGaijin spoke up to garbage like this. I've already lost faith with this board when I started seeing some of the new generation "moderators" and behavior that goes on in JRef now days.

This board needs some serious cleaning... starting with getting trolls like Ghetto off of here. Keep in mind that this board is not just a place for information about Japan, but also has been a forum for communication between Japan and other countries. Certain things and behavior is just disgusting...

Huh?

yukio_michael said:
This sort of trend you are on now, of telling people how little foreigners belong in Japan anoys me even more than your ad hoc missives about your bizzare sexual personae.

But it is the truth.I feel I have to tell you the truth,you are wrong.I just tell it how it is.The only truth you want is the truth according to yukio_michael.You want to live here, you better start studying Japanese with passion in mind,without doubt.
I see very little foreign faces here monthly.No English is spoken ever.
Teachers don't even talk to each other outside the school.
yukio_michael,that is how it is.Do the research.:eek:
I live here.

???

Pittsburgh, Penn. is not Japan. Whoop-de-doo-do!
You are overstuffed with ideas on Japan.
Hey,to be perfectly honest, I don't know why you are so upset.If you wanna be a hero here,accept the truth.
Turn around and take it.:(

Coming from someone who actually lives in Japan and isn't obsessed on his PC arranged with Gundam action figures.
Losing weight and being fit is trendy now, with all women.
Gucchi and Coach fashion items as well and coloured cell phones.
This is what is on the streets and media nowadays.
:)

ELECTRIC JAPAN said:
Coming from someone who actually lives in Japan and isn't obsessed on his PC arranged with Gundam action figures.
Losing weight and being fit is trendy now, with all women.
Gucchi and Coach fashion items as well and coloured cell phones.
This is what is on the streets and media nowadays.
:)

I felt sick to my stomach when I saw the Coach boutique in Shibuya? It is cheap and more of an American trend if anything. Japan is supposed to take the best from all over the world and make it her own, right? Coach was her first mistake.

Josh

ELECTRIC JAPAN said:
But it is the truth.I feel I have to tell you the truth,you are wrong. I just tell it how it is. The only truth you want is the truth according to yukio_michael.
First, learn to use the quoting system, it's not hard. Second, what truth am I expousing that is solely MY truth... I'm talking about trends in the media, visable and trackable trends that you can see in the streets of Japan.

ELECTRIC JAPAN said:
You want to live here, you better start studying Japanese with passion in mind,without doubt.
This is not a thread about immigration, it's a thread about trends.

ELECTRIC JAPAN said:
I see very little foreign faces here monthly.No English is spoken ever. Teachers don't even talk to each other outside the school.
Most of the people are leaving Japan because Japan isn't welcoming to them, I've found this to be true with almost every gaijin friends who are natives in Japan have known--- if you aren't married there, you will probably leave. You make this sound like it is the foreigners fault.

No English is ever spoken because of Japan's poor record at teaching and learning, and maintaining English as a skill... I've written an entire thread about this on this forum... This doesn't have anything to do with foreigners being there--- to quote another forum membr, "the biggest deterent to Japanese learning English are other Japanese."

Also, you can stuff your oyashii, I feel I've studied, read, and yes lived in Japan long enough to be able to discuss it on an internet forum--- nobody needs you to tell them how unwelcome foreigners are in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom