What's new

What does it mean by "Harajuku"?

SimpleMan

後輩
24 Jun 2003
Hi,

I saw this word "Harajuku" many times in Japanese website, and I tried to get the meaning of this word from dictionary but I couldn't find it. Please can you explain to me what does it mean with "Harajuku"?

Many thanks
SimpleMan

Harajuku is not a word, it's the name of a place. It's a hip neighbourhood on the Yamanote line, not far from Shinjuku where a lot of young people hang out.

Technically, if you were to deconstruct ナ陳エツ宿 (harajuku), it would mean the "original" (gen, ナ陳エ; also read hara) "inn", "accomodation", or "hotel" (juku, ツ宿ツ); as opposed to Shinjuku (ツ新ツ宿) the "new" (shin, ツ新) "inn", "accomodation", or "hotel", but nobody thinks of "Shinjuku" and "Harajuku" that way, they are just names of places.

Doumo arigatu gozaimasu tasuki-kun

Hi tasuki,

I thought this word related to unique group, anyway thank u so much for your help.

Thanks

I guess it can depend on the context, but I can't say that I've ever heard it used that way. Well, maybe if see in in the sense of "Harajuku kids" or "Harajuku girls", it can refer to specific groups of people that hang out in Harajuku and because of that have a certain common fashion, etc., then it can relate to unique groups. But used by itself, unless my time here has played tricks on me, it only refers to Harajuku two stops away from where I work.

I use this station everyday and sometimes it is difficult negotiating my way around all the people hanging around looking at each other. Usually I don't mind but if I am in a hurry it can be a bit frustrating..

Does this mean I am jaded???

No - I just find it amusing that all of the kids who are trying to be "alternative" all end up looking exactly the same!! 👏

I'm a Vietnamese undergraduate student and I think this forum is very useful for whom want to study about Japanese and Japanese culture like me.
BTW, I've read in some articles that there has been a group so called "Takenokojoko". Could someone pls explain details about that? Thanks very much.

The same goes for Akiba in japan which is short for the tong twister Akihabara which in turn gets even more confusing when you speak Spanish or Portuguese like me.
It kinda sounds like "Aki" = come here! Or "in here we sell/ we have"
"Rabada = cow tail/ beef tail/ steak tail",
Man, that' s really a land of confusion much more than mere lost in translation!

By the way,
Don"t American still use the short "Frisco" for San Francisco?
Cause in Brasil that's actually a housename logo for cheap hence popular powder refreshment flavor juice.
Better stop here or i could go on that subject 4 hours.
Sorry if that was too brainy but i used to be a teacher you know,
Before Lula and Bolsonaro came along. I miss the good old days.
Now i have to recycle to make a living.
Thats what happens to smart good guys if they re lucky enough not to get killed around here in Latin America.

Anyways
Word of advice : never show a smart *** attitude or let them know youre a scholar.
Never flash your diploma.
Choose to be diplomatic instead.
Brush on your social skills.
Dont forget moderators are always watching.
PC patrols backlash can be hard.

By the way,
Don"t American still use the short "Frisco" for San Francisco?
Cause in Brasil that's actually a housename logo for cheap hence popular powder refreshment flavor juice.
Better stop here or i could go on that subject 4 hours.
Sorry if that was too brainy but i used to be a teacher you know,
Before Lula and Bolsonaro came along. I miss the good old days.
Now i have to recycle to make a living.
Thats what happens to smart good guys if they re lucky enough not to get killed around here in Latin America.
Yes, I think Frisco is still used. Or sometimes "San Fran." "L.A." is commonly used for Los Angeles.

Sorry to hear that everything has gone to crap there but glad that you're still living your life.
Somehow the worst people end up being political leaders. The smart people have no interest in such jobs.

Back
Top Bottom