What's new

Question What does a yellow cardigan symbolize?

ThatOneGirl

Registered
28 Jul 2019
i was listening to a song that i've liked for a while, called "my r", and there are two forms of symbolism there as far as i know. one is about how if you're about to commit sucide in japan, you take your shoes off so people know that it wasn't an accident if they found your body. but there are two lines that mention a yellow cardigan and taking it off as well. does this mean the same thing? if not, what does it mean? i know this is a bit of a grim topic, but i'm very curious.

There is no common/universal meaning both the yellow cardigan and taking it off. The author might imply something, but that's not based on Japanese custom or something. You need to interpret it yourself just like 背の低い represents "me as a child" and the last line might suggest her being reborn.

I did a bit of research and I couldn't find anything as far as it having anything to do with Japanese culture however there are a few possible explanations that I was able to come up with, with the help of a few friends 1. The girl in the song may have always faked being happy witch is common in suicidal people, yellow is typically seen as a joyful color so it could represent finally getting to stop faking a smile and being able to be okay with experiencing how she actually feels for a few seconds as a form of closure before jumping to get away from everything. 2. The girl in the song may have struggled with purposeful self destruction (e.g. cutting) and used the cardigan to hide it and was finally able to take it off because she was alone and would now be forever. 3. There may be no deeper meaning and the author of the song though it simply fit nicely

J'écoutais une chanson que j'aime depuis un moment, appelée "my r", et il y a là deux formes de symbolisme à ma connaissance. l'une concerne le fait que si vous êtes sur le point de commettre un suicide au Japon, vous enlevez vos chaussures pour que les gens sachent que ce n'était pas un accident s'ils ont trouvé votre corps. mais il y a deux lignes qui mentionnent un cardigan jaune et l'enlèvent aussi. ça veut dire la même chose ? sinon, qu'est-ce que ça veut dire ? Je sais que c'est un sujet un peu sombre, mais je suis très curieux.
Je me posais la même question alors j'ai cherché sur internet et j'ai trouvé qu'au Japon la couleur jaune était associée au courage donc ça veut peut-être dire qu'elle était pleine de courage jusque là et qu'en enlevant son cardigan, elle abandonne car elle n'a plus le courage de tenir le coup. (Sorry if this grammar is bad, I'm French and my English level is limited...)

Thanks for the explanation, which I just about got with my schoolboy-level French! I guess that Google translate is good for turning short pieces of text into English.

And welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom