What's new

What do you think about Japan's declining birthrate?

I love Japan, and that's why I think it decerves better leaders.
Then this individual does not mind spreading around lies in order to achieve the goal, "better" leaders.

TBS Apologizes to Health Minister Yanagisawa for Airing Wrong Footage
TBS has lodged an apology to Health Minister Hakuo Yanagisawa for airing the wrong footage over his most recent gaffe when he said it was natural for young couples in Japan to have at least two children.

Then this individual does not mind spreading around lies in order to achieve the goal, "better" leaders.
TBS Apologizes to Health Minister Yanagisawa for Airing Wrong Footage

Wait a minute! I wrote about the ministers initial remarks about "women as birthgiving machines", on February 5th. The subsequent remarks about "two children" was made the day after: February 6th. I newer made any comments about that!

You are accusing me of spreading lies - but the way you argue your case is not trustworthy.

Han Chan I understand your position and agree with you. Dont let the comments get to you.

The minister's comments are inexcusable, particularly from a person in the position that he is in. Imagine how quickly he would be fired if he were in the US?

Unfortunately he is a small part of an even larger problem here in Japan, I personally know of quite a few men that actually agree with what the minister said. It is an underlying social problem that is bubbling to the surface with the declining birth rate. It is sad that there are many men here that think that women "belong in the home" and that their primary function in life is to have babies.

Women here in Japan have an uphill battle in overcoming perceptions like this. Education is the key, but until society as a whole learns to treat people of both sexes equally or at least semi~equally gaffes such as this will continue to be tolerated. He needs to be made to take responsibility for his comments, and in his position that means resign.

TBS has lodged an apology to Health Minister Hakuo Yanagisawa for airing the wrong footage over his most recent gaffe when he said it was natural for young couples in Japan to have at least two children.

You miss the point, he said it, whether or not it was edited differently than expected he still made the comments. Open mouth exchange feet!

Eh, it's not something to panic over - it's just the cycle of sociology. The rates will inevitably become higher.

I'm more worried about Africa's population, really.

Obeika said:
It is sad that there are many men here that think that women "belong in the home" and that their primary function in life is to have babies.

Women here in Japan have an uphill battle in overcoming perceptions like this. Education is the key, but until society as a whole learns to treat people of both sexes equally or at least semi~equally gaffes such as this will continue to be tolerated.
The other problem seems to be the Japanese societal concept of ツ"loveツ". Like all people, when two people are dating they are extremely in love with each other and probably make love on a regular basis and care for one another deeply.

After marriage and the first or second child, the male no longer looks at his wife as a lover and partner; he looks at her as the mother of his child and caretaker of the home and has no desire to ツ"loveツ" her as he did before. Therefore, he seeks his sexual pleasures outside the home as society has taught him. Many women condone and accept this and are partly to blame because, for many, their only dream in life is to become a mother and, after children, they shy away from the husband. Thus, it becomes a vicious, never-ending cycle. It has always been this way in Japan going back hundreds of years.

Sure, the corporate culture is to blame also for working the male to death, but this goes on for couples where the male works a less stressful job and is home on a regular basis. Regardless of job or amount of time spent working overtime, after children the lovemaking usually ceases. Also, even if there are no children in the marriage, society teaches the male that it is ok to have sexual pleasure outside the marriage and the male begins to look at his wife as his mother to make his meals for him, wash his clothes and take care of the house.

Another contributing factor to the falling birth rate is that many women are also opting out of marriage or waiting later and later, if ever, to get married. They live at home with no rent, make good money and don't need a man in their life. Why should they succumb to the dreary lifestyle of a Japanese housewife?

Case in point: My wife has four friends from her college days. Two were married and are now divorced and both have children. Their divorce was a direct result of their husbands spending more time at their company than at home and that the husband no longer showed any affection to them. These women were not going to stand for it as their mothers did and were not going to wait until the children were grown before divorce.

The two others are successful working women with good careers still working in their 40's and still single. Neither was forced to leave the company to get married. One still lives at home and the other has her own place. They have more money than they would have had they been married and both travel extensively. Neither desires to get married, have children, and live the life of a typical Japanese housewife.

I believe their case to be indicative of a society that is economically powerful and one where the female need not get married for a better more secure life as she can pursue her own career and life. She does not desire to get married for the sake of satisfying the parents or society and live life in a sexless loveless marriage. Can you blame them?

Therefore, unless the Japanese drastically change their concept of love after marriage and the males begin to treat their partner as lovers also without seeking sexual gratification outside the home, Japan's birthrate will continue to fall as many women are not putting up with it anymore.

Anyway, just my 2 yen.

Back
Top Bottom