• J-pop

Votes: 406 36.4%
  • Japanese people (friendship or more)

Votes: 781 70.0%
  • Japanese language

Votes: 807 72.3%
  • Japanese food

Votes: 648 58.1%
  • Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...)

Votes: 561 50.3%
  • Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...)

Votes: 283 25.4%

• Total voters
I used to watch Japanese cartoons but I fell out of that. Recently I started reading Japanese literature namely that of Yukio Mishima and Murasaki Shikibu and decided to join this forum in order to learn more about it.

everythings started with dragon ball xD a looong timee ago then I had interest in manga, drama tv, music, culture etc etc and now it's been 2 years I am living in Japan ^^

Hello,
I think this is the ideal threat to post my first message. I am Gregory.
My main interests in Japan are traditional music (I love koto, biwa and kabuki), sea-food like tempura (although I can't cook) and the language. I'm glad I don't need to learn the language for my work. It looks tough even to a polyglot like me. I enjoy taking my time, and I know I'll get there one day.
Another major interest is Zen Buddhism, though I'm still struggling to find out the more subtle differences between Soto and Rinzai. I try to practise zazen as often as I can.
Recently, I have been drawn to anime because of Netflix. I rediscovered things I used to watch in the 90s when I was going to school. I find it quite nice to hear the sound of spoken Japanese in these works of art, even if I only understand a few basic words and typical endings.
I have never been to Japan. One day, perhaps, I may visit Kyoto as a tourist.
I look forward to talking more to you soon in different threads.
Gregory

For me in the 70s I had an uncle stationed in Japan from which I got various gifts then on TV in the early 80s there was a show called Shogun which sparked my initial interest.

[...]there was a show called Shogun which sparked my initial interest.

'Shogun' left a deep impact on us youngsters, too. For weeks, we would play "samurai and shogun", taking turns on who'd be Toranaga-sama and Anjin-san. :)

I guess it was 1st, I wanted to see the world so I joined the military. Got to be stationed in a few Asian countries and ended up in Japan. Liked it here.
Got married to a girl in Tokyo. But I guess the thing about living in Japan, one can somewhat enjoy themselves with little pocket money. Which I've experienced. A bicycle is necessary and so are them 100 yen Chinese peanuts. Wish Japan would import more Australian and American peanuts.

A bicycle is necessary and so are them 100 yen Chinese peanuts. Wish Japan would import more Australian and American peanuts.

<offtopic>

My wife is uncompromising in this regard: no Chinese peanuts for me, and no Chinese dog chews for our pooch!

</ offtopic>

<offtopic>

My wife is uncompromising in this regard: no Chinese peanuts for me, and no Chinese dog chews for our pooch!

</ offtopic>

Actually I refuse nowadays to buy any food from China. But I really am not joking about the 100 yen peanuts and that and my ATB on a Sunday all day ride.
The sad part is that many of the prepackage vegetables you buy at the store are from China. Also, if you by konyaku, check to see where it comes from. That's why you can buy it under 39 yen a bag.
The Chinese carrots are scary. I know first hand about this one also.

Hi all.

I'm new to these forums. I absolutely love Japanese culture particularly the history as well as anime and manga not to mention martial arts (I'm a Karate practitioner as you can see from my username). Would love to visit Japan one day (flying puts me off a bit) particularly Okinawa, so that I can experience traditional Karate and sample Okinawan cuisine too.

Hi all.

I'm new to these forums. I absolutely love Japanese culture particularly the history as well as anime and manga not to mention martial arts (I'm a Karate practitioner as you can see from my username). Would love to visit Japan one day (flying puts me off a bit) particularly Okinawa, so that I can experience traditional Karate and sample Okinawan cuisine too.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for the welcome. Does anyone know of any YouTube videos I can look for that's based on the okinawan dialect? Uchināguchi, I came across one video and I've noticed whilst it is a Japonic language and bears resemblance to the native tongue of mainland Japan and is quite different, I would love to learn more about the language and compare it to Japanese.

Thank you for the welcome. Does anyone know of any YouTube videos I can look for that's based on the okinawan dialect? Uchināguchi, I came across one video and I've noticed whilst it is a Japonic language and bears resemblance to the native tongue of mainland Japan and is quite different, I would love to learn more about the language and compare it to Japanese.
For a small donation you can get access to pure Okinawa television content here. It's a fundraiser to support Okinawan artists and businesses during the pandemic lockdown.

everythings started with dragon ball xD a looong timee ago then I had interest in manga, drama tv, music, culture etc etc and now it's been 2 years I am living in Japan ^^
I'm a blackman my name is xmegatron I Looove Japan a lot I want to know if they'll be training pet datnoid fish, giant gourami fish and kissing gourami fish and use self-defense against bully cichlids.

I'm a blackman my name is xmegatron I Looove Japan a lot I want to know if they'll be training pet datnoid fish, giant gourami fish and kissing gourami fish and use self-defense against bully cichlids.

Hi @Xmegatron, nice to have you on board! I'm unsure whether we have fish experts on the forum, but could you post your questions (as detailed as possible) on our general forum? Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom