What's new

What are some Japanese email services?

ToraBisu

Registered
8 Sep 2016
Hello! I am interested in creating a Japanese (@[domain].jp) email address :)

What are services in Japan that have them? (I don't want an American company ending in JP)

Thanks!! :D

One of the requirements to get the domain "jp" is 日本国内に住所を持つ個人・団体・組織, thus, you need to have a physical location address in Japan to get it.

I am not sure, but I don't think the OP wants to create a new domain name, but rather just wants to obtain an e-mail address from an existing domain.

The most obvious one that immediately springs to mind is Yahoo Japan ([email protected]), but it originated as an American company, so probably does not satisfy your criteria.

Excite mail should do it: エキサイトメール|ウェブメール

Or nifty: メールアカウント登録・変更 : @nifty

I haven't used either of these last two, so cannot vouch for any aspect of them.

One of the requirements to get the domain "jp" is 日本国内に住所を持つ個人・団体・組織, thus, you need to have a physical location address in Japan to get it.

This restriction now only applies to second-level domains such as .co.jp, .ac.jp, .ed.jp, etc. :)

I am not sure, but I don't think the OP wants to create a new domain name, but rather just wants to obtain an e-mail address from an existing domain.
Ah, yeah, it might be so.
As for nifty, the mail users need to sign up for the company, i.e., it's not free. The domain name is @nifty.com, in the first place.;)

This restriction now only applies to second-level domains such as .co.jp, .ac.jp, .ed.jp, etc.
Actually, it's applied to all JP Domain Names, including General-use JP Domain Name (汎用JPドメイン名).;)

General-use JP Domain Name:
Domain name type without restrictions on the number of registration per registrant

.JP
Any individual, group, or organization that has a permanent postal address in Japan may apply for a 2nd level, i.e., General-use JP Domain Name. (e.g. EXAMPLE.JP)

Guide to JP Domain Name / Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd.

the precise rule by JPRS(Japan Registry Services)
汎用JPドメイン名登録等に関する規則
第2章 汎用JPドメイン名登録の通則
第8条(汎用JPドメイン名の登録資格)
登録者は、日本国内において、この規則に基づいて当社が行う通知を受領すべき住所を有する個人またはこれを受領すべき本店・主たる事務所、支店・支所、営業所その他これに準じる常設の場所を有する法人格を有しまたは法人格を有さない組織とする。

!JP 汎用JPドメイン名登録等に関する規則

@Toritoribe -san, I stand corrected! :notworthy:

I was under the wrong impression that the requirement of a "local presence" had been dropped for TLDs. It hasn't. Some registrars however offer their services to foreign registrants. Thank you for the rectification.

The site says;
We assist global companies and partners to register .JP Japan domains at discount prices and provide the "local presence" requirement at no extra cost.
so they would prepare a physical Japanese address for their customers.

As for nifty, the mail users need to sign up for the company, i.e., it's not free. The domain name is @nifty.com, in the first place.;)
They have a nifmail.jp address, too.
I saw nifty listed on several sites that compile freemail services, so there might be a free option, but I didn't look into it so can't confirm.
Other services mentioned on those sites include infoseek.jp and mail.goo.ne.jp. I didn't look into these, either.

Back
Top Bottom