What's new

Websites to practice reading

GaijinGirl

後輩
15 May 2003
From what I understand, Japanese children learn hiragana first. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some web sites aimed at very small children that use very simple sentences and primarily (or only) hiragana characters.
:( I can't read well enough to search for them.

Originally posted by GaijinGirl
From what I understand, Japanese children learn hiragana first. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some web sites aimed at very small children that use very simple sentences and primarily (or only) hiragana characters.
:( I can't read well enough to search for them.

www.kanachart.com

Heh. Yes, I have seen kanachart.com. I meant short texts in hiragana, "See Spot Run" sorts of stories intended for Japanese children that are learning how to read.

Originally posted by GaijinGirl
Heh. Yes, I have seen kanachart.com. I meant short texts in hiragana, "See Spot Run" sorts of stories intended for Japanese children that are learning how to read.

Ahh... yeah... that'd be useful... lemme know if you find something!

Hello !

Recently in another post I've written this link :

どらねこさんとぼく3

It's a story for children I suppose because it's written only in hiragana.

I think you can find that kind of text with Google.co.jp for example, when you type something like "hiragana dake" or "only in hiragana"...
But of course it's better to write it directly in japanese, because most of those sites are written by japanese people for japanese children...
If you can't I can write here some useful words like "hiragana only", "children", etc...
But I agree that finding a such site is sometimes difficult... but sometimes you find one. For example I've just found this one :

Mediaship School Web 小学1年生むけのホームページ

it provides other sites. Some of them are written in hiragana only, like this one :

ようこそキッズメイト城へ

You have to choose "ひらがなのページはこちら" which means, "click here to access the hiragana page" (literaly : "hiragana page, this way !")
I've visited this site a little, and there are a lot of mini-text... perfect to learn hiragana and vocabulary I think...

Ganbatte ne ! 👍

If you're also looking for hiragana print materials and can order or get them from someone there I'd recommend starting from actual first & second grade Japanese textbooks (the way I learned anyway). They are very well designed -- with a lot of large print writing exercises, grammar notes, well-known stories and of course heaps of cultural context. I was also fortunate enough to have been given tapes to go along with them (more or less) which has been an extraordinary boon. Will try to get some order information on that later if they're still being produced.

Mitsumura and Kobun Shoin Publishing just happen to be personal favorites and here are their sites for elementary-level textbooks and teachers guides. I'm sure you can pick out something of interest already! Ganbatte from me as well!

http://www.mitsumura-tosho.co.jp/Kyoka/kokugo/kyo_kokugoS_top.asp

http://www.kobun.co.jp/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
🙂

[edit several hours later] I went to a Japanese supermarket near my home and found out that there is a Japanese bookstore in a nearby... state! (Maryland, to be precise)

:: puts on her driving gloves ::

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom