What's new

Webdesign project.... losing your job

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Hello everybody,

sorry maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but i need money.... the won't give me a new contract on my work, and so that means i have to find a new job.... and most of you know that i want to go to my wife this year so yeah.... bummer.... etc...:( :( :( :(

but lets get down to business first, i am a starting web designer, en already have the website www.kobecityinfo.com, and will soon start with a website about lesbian woman in society... and i'm looking for more work for a small price... so please contact me when you want to have a website...

Extra... please people tell me about your experience when they fired you, or didn't gave you a new contract....

I don't have any leads I could give you right now, but what is your background? Have you just been doing indepedent free lance work, or were you working for a web design or IT consulting firm of some sort?

In terms of finding a new job after losing a previous job, I guess the best general advice I could give is to simply network as much as you can. I think your situation is somewhat complicated, however, by your intention to move to Japan as soon as you can. I am curious, do you plan or hope to continue doing web design work when you move to Japan?

Really sorry to hear your bad news, DB!

Rest assured ... bin there, done that .... several times !

The first thing to do is realize and accept that it's not the end of the world! (It may feel like it for a while, though!). Also acept the fact that you never work harder than you do when you don't have work, but you're looking for it.

Colin's advice is the best. Network, network, network. Get on the telephone and the email right now; leave no stone unturned.

If necessary - forget Jref for a while! You have better things to do!

(We won't, I'm sure, forget you - and anyone here who can assist in a material way I am sure will do so.)

In the meantime ... you will have to put groceries on the table!

Look at any other skills you have .... or opportunities that may arise .... just to make cash and keep you going! Don't be too proud! I've done one or two things in life that were quite (IMO) "beneath me" - but they paid me $$$$$!

Needless to say, I wish you all the very best in your present situation, and hope things work out for you as soon as possible.

Hang on in there, dude!

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

I think you can view this as an opportunity. You are very young, you have skills, and not having a job at the moment in one sense means you are more free to move to Japan (although there might of course be financial issues).

Simon has been made redundant twice, and both times were actually a good thing. The second time was three years ago, when he was made redundant from his factory job. He got a job straightaway, with the redundancy money still in the bank, and he now works in an air-conditioned office with a much higher salary, plus bonuses and more prospects.

I gave up my last job before finding another, because I was sick of it, and I needed the incentive to get me applying for something else. A lot of people thought I was mad, but it was the push I needed. Although I still hate my job (I will hate any job that involves working for someone else!), I am in a much better situation - slightly better pay, much better hours and far less stress.

You now have some time to spend on your web design - good luck with that! The advice I would give you is that when you do find another job (which you will!), save as much as you possibly can, even if it means going without. That way you will always have something to fall back on if you are ever out of work again in the future.

Hey Dave,
This is just an idea. There are millions of online magazine which people actually make a profit out of. I'm sure you will find many that are Japan related.
Maybe you can ask them to advertize your website.

I hope you are not getting too stressed out about not having a new contract. Something will come up as long as you try. You are very positive, caring, kind, intelligent and talented person, and people will be happy to work with you.

I wrote so many cover letters and resume(cv) when I was unemployed, and it always gave me a positive feedback about what kind of skills I could sell.

Good luck and keep us posted how you are doing, ok? 🙂

Well, I've never been laid off before, so I can't even pretend to understand what you're going through, Dutch, but the most important piece of advice I can possibly give you is to maintain a positive attitude, do not, under any circumstances to allow your current situation to weigh you down.

From there, sit down with a notepad and pen and jot down all your strengths, all the things you can do well and apply them to the sort of work you want to do in the future. Next, put together a resume, either yourself or have someone do it for you, if you choose to go back into the market, chances are you're going to need one when you apply for a new job.

Don't allow any moss to grow under your feet, act quickly, and decisively so you'll be prepared for whatever comes down the pike. Please keep us all appraised of what happens, and good luck!
:)

I'll say that the advice you've been given so far is right on! I wasn't laid off, but the time came to make a career change when I left the military, and I didn't have anything lined up to go into. I only had enough savings to carry me and my family over for about 6 months and I too was worried about what I would do.

I did what I will suggest you do. Take the first job that is offered to you. It was not what I wanted to do, but it kept me busy! That is what I believe is the most important! I have seen many people who grew stagnant and just couldn't get themselves back into the swing of a real job again. Just because you take a job, doesn't mean that you must keep doing that for the rest of your life! I am preparing to change jobs again in about a month.

What am I saying? Get yourself back into the job market doing whatever you can...but keep looking for what it is that you want to do!

Keep your head up and just stay positive!

cheers guys i dont have much time to reply because the wife is still here, but i have a job interview at DOCOMO this monday , being an I-mode tester.... money is great, and in a Japanese-english company... so please wish me luck, and i keep you guys updated!!!!

ARIGATOOOOO

Back
Top Bottom