What's new

Want a Kanji tattoo? Read before you ask!

I just read through this thread, I don't really see how this deserve to be sticky?

---------- Post added Nov 25, 2011 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was Nov 24, 2011 at 23:48 ----------

Chinese Hanzi and Japanese Kanji have the same meanings if written out.

娘 means mother in Chinese, the same kanji means daughter in Japanese.

I think someone should truly understand a word that they're getting permentaly put on their body not just go into a shop and pick one from a wall. My japanese teacher told me about one student she had who got kanji on her arm that she thought said lucky girl when instead it said slave girl.

I completely support getting a kanji tattoo and quite frankly I think most of the people against it are just *****s. First off, although it is in fact part of the Japanese language and not many understand it, each kanji can still be considered ART. Tattoos are composed of ART. It is that simple. Then the complaints turn to "OH HE'S SO STUPID THEY DIDN'T LOOK IT UP CRY CRY." Doesn't matter if he didn't properly research the kanji or check what it means. That is the fault of the person who is getting the tattoo, and there are PLENTY of tattoos in English and even just PICTURES that are completely stupid and or wrong. They can be ignorant, they can be stupid and just put a symbol on them because they think they know what it means, that is THEIR PROBLEM, and it could be avoided with kindness. A lot of people here need to stop being so uptight. Personally I will be getting a kanji tattoo, and whether or not I am studying Japanese is COMPLETELY irrelevant. Although I currently am anyway. I expected the forum to be full of more open people, who would deal with things in a respectful manner. Instead I see people from other countries displaying the same ignorance that many Americans display, and that just takes you down to their level. If it concerns many of you that greatly, there should be a forum just for tattoo translations and designs so there is much less crying about and much less stupid "trolling" that I have already dealt with.

I thought you had to be at least 18 to get a tattoo in the US.

It was a comment on your childish tantrum.

I had to disassemble my monitor so I could wipe the flecks of your spittle from behind the glass.

Thank you, Kyou Hikari, for reminded me that there are all kinds of people on this planet.

Hi guys I'm brand new to the forum (though I've read it for a little while now) and just read through the thread but I'm not sure where to ask my question. I'm getting a small tattoo (where I can hide it though since my future employers may judge) but maybe not necessarily in Kanji. My family is half Japanese and so I'm named after my great-grandfather, Tetsuo Hamamoto. I want to get my name, Tetsuo (which has been in the family for a long time going back 6 generations at least of male Hamamotos) as a small tattoo but I am just learning Japanese so I can't write it myself. I have a photo of calligraphy my great-grandmother did for me before she died and I think it's of my name but I'm not sure. If I post that here can someone help me figure out what it says? And also if it doesn't say Tetsuo could someone help me write my name so that I can get the tattoo? Thanks all.

IMG_3191.jpg
OK here it is guys thanks for your help in advance. And if it doesn't say Tetsuo then even just knowing what it does say will be nice. And then I can find the appropriate thread and have someone help me translate my name into Japanese. I also have other, more practical questions about learning the language but I'll find the appropriate thread for those and post there

Edit: sorry it came out horizontal. Can I fix that through the forums or is it just the way it shows up?

Good luck finding a tattoo artist who won't manage to take that and turn it into a hideous mockery of Japanese script.

Thanks Toritoribe for your help translating! Mike, I know a lot of people who have pretty horrid looking Kanji tattoos but my friend is Chinese and got a nice one done that's very true to the artistry of the script so I'm hoping the same guy who did hers can stay true to the original calligraphy that I posted as I think it looks artistically unique rather than just getting a font like from a computer.

I have the Japanese symbol for Sky on my forearm for my daughter, I looked and looked and SCOURED the internet to make sure that it was the right one. I even asked a friend of mine who lives in Osaka if it was right because I didn't want to be walking around with what I thought was the word sky, and have it turn out to mean soup or something.

418491_10150717581692425_48885584_n.jpg

It also means "empty" or "nothingness", depending on the context.

It also means "empty" or "nothingness", depending on the context.

When I worked as a gas station attendant we had a bunch of Japanese natives come in because of the Honda plant that was in town, and of the ones who saw it asked me why I had "Sora" tattooed on my arm and I told them because it's my daughters name. ^_^

When I worked as a gas station attendant we had a bunch of Japanese natives come in because of the Honda plant that was in town, and of the ones who saw it asked me why I had "Sora" tattooed on my arm and I told them because it's my daughters name. ^_^

Is her name "Sora" or "Sky"? I assume you meant "Sora", but just want to be sure.

Yes, "Sora" (sky) is the most common reading for that kanji in isolation. But it can also be read "Kara" (empty) or "Kuu" (in the context of the Buddhist concept of nothingness).

I'll chime in. I wanted to get one done (didn't in the end) that was the Kanji for the word Acumen, which is the name of my (long standing, at 6 years) band. I speak decent Japanese and after playing with synonyms managed to translate "Acumen" into Dousatsuryoku. The kanji is 洞察力, but I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be read in an alternative, cruel, yet probably hilarious way.

I also agree that telling someone to get 馬鹿 is very unimaginative.

I also wanted to get a Kanji tattoo. But my big problem is not being able to find an artist that can ink beautifully. The ones I went to just had pictures of random characters (not very beautifully written) compiled in a folder and you tell them which one you like. It looks like a menu :)

Hello everyone. I wanted to get kanji tattoos of the words brave, courage, strength, and faith. I just wanted to know the translation of these words. I found these and I want to know if their correct. If they aren't, the accurate translation would be most appreciated

Hello everyone. I wanted to get kanji tattoos of the words brave, courage, strength, and faith. I just wanted to know the translation of these words. I found these and I want to know if their correct. If they aren't, the accurate translation would be most appreciated

That's not the purpose of this thread. Did you read the thread?

Back
Top Bottom